Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
My B1 wear linen cap,..

...arriving just in time for an upcoming holiday in italy.
230909003_cr.jpg

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
Made it yourself? Looks great to me. Don't know if I have the expertise or guts to try something like making my own hat. Wouldn't even know where to start. I certainly like that you made hat though. WOW!!:eusa_clap

Mark Brody

New in Town
Thanks for all the compliments, fellas! It's difficult to say exactly what the specs are, as I just eyeballed some of it, but I'll give it my best.

Size: 7 7/16 (I fall between sizes)
Brim Width: 2 3/4"
Crown Height: about 5 3/4" (I originally made it 6" high by accident, and steamed it with the hopes it'd shrink)
Ribbon Width: 1 1/2"
Binding Width: 5/8" unfolded
Material: Beaver Felt, Rayon/Cotton blend ribbon

High Pockets

Practically Family
The Royal Stetson I found floatin' in the bay came back from Optimo today!
Many years of life have been added to Lt.Col. C. B. Hines' hat by Mr. Graham Thompson!

Before:
100_2544.jpg

100_2547.jpg

After:
100_2608.jpg

100_2607.jpg

100_2603.jpg

Two more of my old fedoras are being re-furbished by Mr. Thompson as we speak!

warbird

One Too Many
High Pockets said:
Many years of life have been added to Lt.Col. C. B. Hines' hat by Mr. Graham Thompson!

Before:
100_2544.jpg

100_2547.jpg

After:
100_2608.jpg

100_2603.jpg

Wow! :eusa_clap Very nice.

Mark Brody

New in Town
RobFedoraField said:
That's a fine looking lid you have.

what supplies did you have to get to make your first hat? did you start from raw bodies, or a hat that needed new life? how did you sew the brim trim on?

I made both my hats entirely from new materials - not from old hats. I sewed the binding on by hand. It took about 8 hours. I could have probably worked faster had I used my sewing machine, but if I were to make a mistake on that thing, it would have been very unforgiving.

As far as what materials on needed and how I did it, I wrote up the full story over at Club Obi Wan if you want to read it. I changed a few of my techniques for the second hat, and I'll change even more when I get around to making a third, but the basic principles remain the same.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27053&sid=55cbf5a3b8f486a6e48b23d276f66ac5

High Pockets, that's a great looking hat, and a fine reblock!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
rlk and hp, those are beautiful. the softness of that borso comes right through my screen and the side dents in the Stetson are perfect. :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mark Brody said:
Haven't been here in a while - I spend most of my time at Club Obi Wan. Anyway, here's my new hat. I made it myself about a week ago.
portrait.jpg

Mark, that is a great looking hat. Shows talent. The specs from the other reply sound good and it looks great on you; super coordination with the outfit. :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
High Pockets said:

100_2603.jpg

That is great High Pockets. And what a way to remember a historical hat and man!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Mark Brody said:
Thanks for all the compliments, fellas! It's difficult to say exactly what the specs are, as I just eyeballed some of it, but I'll give it my best.

Size: 7 7/16 (I fall between sizes)
Brim Width: 2 3/4"
Crown Height: about 5 3/4" (I originally made it 6" high by accident, and steamed it with the hopes it'd shrink)
Ribbon Width: 1 1/2"
Binding Width: 5/8" unfolded
Material: Beaver Felt, Rayon/Cotton blend ribbon

Great dimension choices! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24