Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
dunlap_straw_6.jpg

Buler,

Here's the design patent for this hat - A John Cavanagh design, no less! Interesting that it's attached to a sticker on the back of the sweat. Would that date it to perhaps right after the patent was received?

Brad

buler

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Buler,

Here's the design patent for this hat - A John Cavanagh design, no less! Interesting that it's attached to a sticker on the back of the sweat. Would that date it to perhaps right after the patent was received?

Brad

Thanks Brad. I didn't find that back when I had the hat. It appears he is just talking about an outside beveled edge and not the "accordian" inside brim to crown area. But because of the sticker, I'm thinking that would have been right about that time.

B

glittlewing

New in Town
Added a new Lid to warm the roof

Added a Stetson Stetsonian Caribou color Bogart DF 30005 Size 7 ¼ 5X in front of Sweat Band. I did some research found it to be 1949 to maybe 1951 can someone add or tell me if this is correct or tell me more of this hat. Found out about the Stetsonian I know the 5X is grade or amount of Beaver used in the fur felt but not much on the Bogart DF 30005. Would like to know more. Thanks G Littlewing
Stetson%20Stetsonian.jpg
Stetsonian.jpg
Stetsonian%20Tag.jpg

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
babs said:
Welll done Babs! I like to have an openroad(clone) some day, yours is a fine specimen. I found myself wanting a woodblock to re-block my Playboy, cause I feel I overdid the steaming/creasing 'routine' (it.. I shaped it into a nice diamond but somehow the hat has become more tapered than I like and I can't get it back into a nice straight-sided opencrown anymore... It's a fine art, hat bashing, and I seriously underestimated just that...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
glittlewing said:
Added a Stetson Stetsonian Caribou color Bogart DF 30005 Size 7 ¼ 5X in front of Sweat Band. I did some research found it to be 1949 to maybe 1951 can someone add or tell me if this is correct or tell me more of this hat. Found out about the Stetsonian I know the 5X is grade or amount of Beaver used

I can't put an exact date on it, but I'm pretty sure that your hat is no older than the 70s.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
glittlewing said:
Added a Stetson Stetsonian Caribou color Bogart DF 30005 Size 7 ¼ 5X in front of Sweat Band. I did some research found it to be 1949 to maybe 1951 can someone add or tell me if this is correct or tell me more of this hat. Found out about the Stetsonian I know the 5X is grade or amount of Beaver used in the fur felt but not much on the Bogart DF 30005. Would like to know more. Thanks G Littlewing
Stetson%20Stetsonian.jpg
Stetsonian.jpg
Stetsonian%20Tag.jpg
The only thing I can tell you, G Littlewing, is that it's a good-lookin' hat! Good score.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
billysmom said:
All right, Mr. Palladin, sir. Yes, sir. You are correct, sir. I'm skirting the ragged hairy edges of the statute.

How about this? Just arrived after some shipping mishaps involving torn labels and return-to-sender:

D7.jpg

Brim measures a generous 2 1/4" with a Cavanagh edge!

More to be posted on the Disney Diner.

Sue[/QUOTE]

Now that, maam, is more like it! It is one classy hat to be sure, and it looks great on you! You can even get away with the feather. Well done.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
babs said:
Thanks Sue. Gorgeous Knox you found there too.

I ended up by accident with the tear-drop as I really liked the nonchalant look of the diamond bash, but it needed a bump from hitting the top of my big ole' egg. So as I tried to do a bump in the diamond bash it wasn't cutting it, so I folded, steamed and folded and that c-crown came about. Pulled the pinch forward a bit more and lower from these pics and it gives the front at least a sweet side-profile. I'm learning I guess. Thanks to you fine folks here.

I guess I can get away with such a hat.. Man I look tired. Yikes. The c-crown gives it a more angular look on the top of the crown from this shot.. So this wasn't the final product.
DSCN0788.jpg
So it finally arrived. It looks great! :eusa_clap Nice work bashing it. Clearly, I need to get an OR clone of some sort.

Mr. Paladin

buler said:
Finally got these two in the mail and also found a beauty on my way to a haircut. The hat on the left is an unworn Penneys Marathon with the tri-color (felt, ribbon, brim binding all different) thing going on like a Lee Trinity. The hat in the middle is a grey Courtney made for Harry Levinsons. Its a thin ribbon with a no liner stamped crown. Last but not least is an all black Dobbs. Was really hoping for 2 more boxes today but that will have to wait until Monday.....

B

Buler, the Mallory 10 from the first post and the Marathon from the second, are both superb. That Marathon in particular looks really sweet! :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

billysmom said:
I've been looking for a nice charcoal lid:

Kbb3.jpg
[/CENTER]

2" brim, 2 1/8" ribbon, 4 3/4" crown, 1 7/8" sweat.

Sometime soon it will be time to break out the gray flannel suit.

Sue

Another great score, maam! :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

babs said:
FINALLY!!! Got my hands on a good wider brim.. This little guy arrived yesterday and I had some fun. Broke out the Jiffy steamer for the first time to do a bash and see what I was capable of with the hat. The felt is awesome.. One little moth tract that honestly with the color of the hat, I may try to sandpaper a little with some fine grit if and when I get around to it.

DSCN0798.jpg

Nicely done. Looks very different from the arrival shot, which wasn't bad to begin with. Steam is a wonderful thing (in moderation, of course)!

babs

A-List Customer
djgo-cat-go said:
Welll done Babs! I like to have an openroad(clone) some day, yours is a fine specimen. I found myself wanting a woodblock to re-block my Playboy, cause I feel I overdid the steaming/creasing 'routine' (it.. I shaped it into a nice diamond but somehow the hat has become more tapered than I like and I can't get it back into a nice straight-sided opencrown anymore... It's a fine art, hat bashing, and I seriously underestimated just that...

I'm considering one of the straight-side "plastic" blocks from hatshapers.com.. Would love to get my hands on a vintage one. But.. I get the impression doing a good block also might involve some sewing work, removing/reinstalling bands and ribbons.. That would be the part that scares me. We should invent an expanding block that can work on the hat from the just above the sweat-band up maybe. :) Make a mint.. Maybe even a peppermint patty. hehe

Spats McGee said:
So it finally arrived. It looks great! :eusa_clap Nice work bashing it. Clearly, I need to get an OR clone of some sort.

Thanks.. Actually that pic was prior to the rebash with just the stock center dent. I think the 3/4 angle profile looks much better now.. A bit of angle at the sides of the tear-drop and a more parallel crown front-profile with the tear-drop. Not surprising it sorta resembles my dunlap now.. My 1st frame of reference with a vintage hat my my noggin, as scary as my mug is. :) But the more parallel front and angled profile is nice compensation for not having a slick '40's reverse taper I guess.

RBH said:
Looks great Brother!!!!
Saw the ring did ya Brother?
Biltmore 446, Asheville, NC.

Mr. Paladin said:
Nicely done. Looks very different from the arrival shot, which wasn't bad to begin with. Steam is a wonderful thing (in moderation, of course)!

Moderation is key.. I found myself just laying the steam to it from good distance and "massaging" it more than "bashing" the thing. Letting the hat pretty much guide me as to what IT wanted to do I guess. The zen of bashing a hat... That'd be a good book, even if short.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou