Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
New (to me) Dobbs

My first Homburg arrived be fore christmas from another lounger. Hadn't worn it until last night, as I was going to see Sherlock, I popped it onto my noggin and made for the door.
No opportunity for candid pics yet:
100_0276.jpg

100_0277.jpg

100_0278.jpg

100_0279.jpg

100_0280.jpg

portolan

A-List Customer
Welcome....Love the Hat...Looks Great on You!

rollercap said:
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I am looking forward to learning about Hats from the members of this forum.

On 05 January 2010, I got my new Akubra Cattleman in Tanbark Brown, my first serious hat. Ordered it from Aussie Bush Hats and Oilskins on 04 Oct 09. They provided great service and were quick to reply to my emails. They informed me at the outset that it will take 10-12 weeks as it was a colour that was not normally in stock. I changed my size after 2 days and they said no problem. I asked them to inscribe my name or initials on the inside of the hat and they said they do not offer that service. No big deal.

My hat cost me $AUD 100 and Shipping to London, England was $AUD35. Net landed cost $AUD135 or £78 (approx) as UK customs did not charge Duty or VAT.

I am pretty happy with the hat and thanks to members of this forum whose posts inspired the confidence to purchase an Akubra. I received invaluable advise in terms of using hat strips and not going into panic mode if the new Akubra initially fit loose.

A day after the hat arrived (06 Jan 2010) we had a record snowfall in London ( by our standards) and I decided to let the snow get acquainted with my new Akubra. No baby sitting this hat.:D

I have put up some pictures of the hat as brand new and out in the field. If anyone is looking to purchase a Cattleman Akubra, I hope these pictures help you decide.

Cheers.
%3Cuntitled%3E6.jpg

%3Cuntitled%3E2.jpg

IMG00108-20100107-1357.jpg

IMG00106-20100107-1356.jpg

Photo%2062.jpg

Akubras are great hats, I have a bunch. Welcome again!

Lloyd

A-List Customer
My first Dobbs

just got this from ebay
More pics in the ebay thread
Overall it's in very good shape but the sweat is disintegrating rapidly. My forehead was covered with little black flakes after wearing it for 15 minutes

DobbsFedorabowonmyhead.jpg

Samuel

Practically Family
rollercap said:
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I am looking forward to learning about Hats from the members of this forum.

On 05 January 2010, I got my new Akubra Cattleman in Tanbark Brown, my first serious hat. Ordered it from Aussie Bush Hats and Oilskins on 04 Oct 09. They provided great service and were quick to reply to my emails. They informed me at the outset that it will take 10-12 weeks as it was a colour that was not normally in stock. I changed my size after 2 days and they said no problem. I asked them to inscribe my name or initials on the inside of the hat and they said they do not offer that service. No big deal.

My hat cost me $AUD 100 and Shipping to London, England was $AUD35. Net landed cost $AUD135 or £78 (approx) as UK customs did not charge Duty or VAT.

I am pretty happy with the hat and thanks to members of this forum whose posts inspired the confidence to purchase an Akubra. I received invaluable advise in terms of using hat strips and not going into panic mode if the new Akubra initially fit loose.

A day after the hat arrived (06 Jan 2010) we had a record snowfall in London ( by our standards) and I decided to let the snow get acquainted with my new Akubra. No baby sitting this hat.:D

I have put up some pictures of the hat as brand new and out in the field. If anyone is looking to purchase a Cattleman Akubra, I hope these pictures help you decide.

-========================================================

Welcome to the Fedora Lounge :) Rollercap

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
Just received today - I highly encourage anyone with a 7 1/4 + 1/16 noggin to give any hat offered by M_Jones a very close look! I haven't been this excited to see a hat in at least a week or two :)

AvenueSide.jpg

Excellent, I am glad that you like it Scott. I never thought that this was a Homburg and in fact I bought it based on "The Bold Look" ads that had been posted and clearly showed a fedora with brim binding wider on the bottom than the top. The cool thing about it is that snapping the brim gives the hat attitude as the binding does affect brim play. This hat does indeed have a bold look and I am glad that it found a home where it will be appreciated. Wear it in health!

Regards,
Hollis

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
M_Jones said:
Excellent, I am glad that you like it Scott. I never thought that this was a Homburg and in fact I bought it based on "The Bold Look" ads that had been posted and clearly showed a fedora with brim binding wider on the bottom than the top. The cool thing about it is that snapping the brim gives the hat attitude as the binding does affect brim play. This hat does indeed have a bold look and I am glad that it found a home where it will be appreciated. Wear it in health!

Regards,
Hollis

Thanks Hollis. I wore it on a 4-hr walk today, and it feels fantastic. I've always avoided this color on wide-brims due to foolish Indy utterances, but the dark blue ribbon and reddish brim-binding should limit such comments.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rollercap said:
Hi Everyone,

Photo%2062.jpg

Welcome rollercap! Nice start! Sue is correct, it will be the first of many.

Mr. Paladin

Scott Wood said:
My first Homburg arrived be fore christmas from another lounger. Hadn't worn it until last night, as I was going to see Sherlock, I popped it onto my noggin and made for the door.
No opportunity for candid pics yet:
100_0276.jpg

That is a nice looking homburg, Scott. Looking forward to seeing you underneath it!

stealthboy

New in Town
Stetson bowler

My wife picked up this Stetson bowler at a local flea market today. Any thoughts on its age?

DSC_0211.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG

The embroidered logo has a date of 1915 in it related to the "Panama Pacific International Exposition", from what I can read, but I wasn't sure how the Stetson logo may change, so that date may be unrelated to its construction. It was originally purchased at Kaufmann's in Pittsburgh (stamped in the leather headband).

Sam Craig

One Too Many
rollercap setter

Rollercap

I know what you mean about your setter.

I have a tricolor sheltie and she's the same way.

Put on the fedora an it's time to go play ball.

I figure dogs would love a good fedora if they could get the hang of wearing one.

rollercap

New in Town
St.Ignatz said:
Welcome Rollercap that wide brim fits you nicely.:eusa_clap Just one question. Why the long face on your companion?:whistling
Tom D.

Thank You Tom D.
Murphy's long face can be very deceiving as I have found out on many an occasion. This fella is a great actor!! lol

MadDawg

Familiar Face
A new Stetson Firenze I picked up this weekend. Beautiful steel grey with steel 1 1/2" ribbon from Henry the Hatter in Detroit (although I picked it up at the local Stetson outlet).

This is the classic dress fedora I have been looking for. Simple, elegent, and timeless. This will be a regular!

CIMG0031.jpg
[/IMG]

CIMG0030.jpg
[/IMG]

CIMG0029.jpg
[/IMG]

CIMG0028.jpg
[/IMG]

Garrett

This vintage panama is from one of our very own loungers - pdxvintagette of Fab Gabs Fine Vintage on ebay.

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24