Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
My New Stylemaster

I just got my first read felt fedora, a Stylemaster from Akubra. The color is moonstone. Awesome hat!

http://picasaweb.google.com/solomon.brian/MyNewAkubraHat?feat=directlink

I currently have only one pic. The kids have been crazy tonight. I'll try to post some more soon. Hopefully a noggin shot.

It's a little large, so I put in the foam that came with the hat. It's a little tight with all the foam. However, I think that it will break in perfectly to my head in a couple of weeks. ;)

I bought it from hatsdirect.com, and they were really great with shipping (like 10 days, I live in Minnesota USA) and helping my choose a good size!

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Love that hat

Mr E Train said:
I shot this in the small bathroom downstairs because the light is pretty good in there. Yes, I have a small collection of cowboy memorabilia (my size 7 3/4 head is blocking the view of the Hopalong Cassidy AM radio) in the bathroom. Doesn't everyone?[huh]

truman.jpg

Truman2.jpg

Let me take a moment to tell you of my absolutely positive experience with Hat Guys in Oakland. I placed an online order for this hat on Thursday afternoon, about 2PM EST. I didn't get a confirmation email, which didn't concern me too much, but a few hours later I figured I'd give them a call just to make sure they got the order. I called and the lady that answered said that Ken, the guy who handles the web orders, wasn't there right now, and she would take my number and have him call me. Shortly thereafter, I got a call from Ken letting me know that he did indeed get the order and that he had already packed it up and had it ready to go. And I did get a confirmation email a little while later; their shopping cart just takes a while to generate the emails. I received the hat today (Saturday)--all the way from the west coast to the east coast--by Priority Mail. That's lightning fast in my book.:eusa_clap

Ken was friendly and helpful, and he didn't act like it was a burden to have to deal with a customer. That seems like a small thing, something that should just be expected, but I was greatly impressed with Hat Guys because this Pinzano--let's face it--it's essentially an inexpensive hat. It's not like I'm buying a $300 Borsalino, and I have had experiences with other stores in the past where I felt like I was treated like a second class customer, as if I was an imposition upon them because I wasn't buying one of their big ticket items. Hat Guys, though, seem to treat their customers with respect regardless of how much money they're spending. I'll be buying from them in the future for sure.:)

I love that hat, and I love those glasses too! Are the glasses Shurons? I've been looking for a pair like that

Mr E Train

One Too Many
SlyGI said:
I love that hat, and I love those glasses too! Are the glasses Shurons? I've been looking for a pair like that

Thanks! No, the glasses are the ArtCraft Clubman model. I also have a pair of Shurons that are almost the same that I use as a spare. When I get a new prescription I usually rotate them and the main pair becomes the spare and vice/versa.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Thanks

Mr E Train said:
Thanks! No, the glasses are the ArtCraft Clubman model. I also have a pair of Shurons that are almost the same that I use as a spare. When I get a new prescription I usually rotate them and the main pair becomes the spare and vice/versa.

Thanks for the tip on the glasses. Man, that hat looks good on you too!

Mr E Train

One Too Many
SlyGI said:
Thanks for the tip on the glasses. Man, that hat looks good on you too!

Thanks again! It's funny, my first pair of Clubmans, you know where I got them? Walmart optical center. That was years ago, and I haven't found any there since. Now when I need new ones I just order them online from whatever vendor has them at the best price.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
SlyGI said:
I just got my first read felt fedora, a Stylemaster from Akubra. The color is moonstone. Awesome hat!

yfpdoar

I currently have only one pic. The kids have been crazy tonight. I'll try to post some more soon. Hopefully a noggin shot.

It's a little large, so I put in the foam that came with the hat. It's a little tight with all the foam. However, I think that it will break in perfectly to my head in a couple of weeks. ;)

I bought it from hatsdirect.com, and they were really great with shipping (like 10 days, I live in Minnesota USA) and helping my choose a good size!

I somehow missed this post earlier, SlyGI. I don't have an Akubra (yet), but the Stylemaster and the Federation IV are the ones that are the most attractive to me, and moonstone is definitely the color I would get. I love teardrop crowns. That's a beautiful hat, man--good job! You might need shims right now, but wear it outside in the rain and let the sweatband get soaked and then dry out, and it'll shrink up to just the right size.

EDIT: I fixed it so the picture shows as an image in the post, rather than as a link.;)

Cracker

One of the Regulars
RBH said:
I keep coming back to look at this one. A fine example of a thin ribbon. With a great crease to boot!
Well done!

Thanks! Something's occurred to me, though. If it's clear beaver, I don't guess it can truly be "silverbelly" color? (Having since my purchase read that "clear beaver" means undyed felt.) After a couple days of wear, I've noticed it's really is slightly more brown/grey than silver (though not as tan as those blurry bathroom pics).

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't put too much stock in what's been written on this site as to what makes for Clear Beaver. I just know that it's great stuff.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Cracker said:
Thanks! Something's occurred to me, though. If it's clear beaver, I don't guess it can truly be "silverbelly" color? (Having since my purchase read that "clear beaver" means undyed felt.) After a couple days of wear, I've noticed it's really is slightly more brown/grey than silver (though not as tan as those blurry bathroom pics).

I thought it was closer to a very light grey - much more so than any other Stetson western I've owned.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr E Train said:
Let me take a moment to tell you of my absolutely positive experience with Hat Guys in Oakland.
I gotta say that, after all he purchases I have to make online and all
the goods I have shipped here, it sure is nice to hear that a guy in
Atlanta is pumping dollars into my town's economy. Glad the Hat Guys
got smart and opened a site. Oakland's hat buying residents aren't
always the richest guys- that attitude no doubt serves them well.
I appreciate the support in keeping my local hat store alive! It's nice to have
a place within bicycling distance which sells hat brushes and supplies.

I do caution against sending them repair work because they don't do
such a good job. But I will say that the last time they screwed up a
couple of my hats, they were very gracious about not charging me...

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Mr E Train said:
I somehow missed this post earlier, SlyGI. I don't have an Akubra (yet), but the Stylemaster and the Federation IV are the ones that are the most attractive to me, and moonstone is definitely the color I would get. I love teardrop crowns. That's a beautiful hat, man--good job! You might need shims right now, but wear it outside in the rain and let the sweatband get soaked and then dry out, and it'll shrink up to just the right size.

EDIT: I fixed it so the picture shows as an image in the post, rather than as a link.;)

Thanks for the fix on the picture. I still haven't figured out how to imbed a photo. Every time I try to load one up, I get an error message. Rats!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Cracker said:

The 7X Clear Beaver ORs are what I would call a "natural tan," whereas, silver belly is a lighter/grayer shade. Here's a photo of a silver belly OR, flanked by 2 7X Clear Beaver ORs:

7XORs.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Mr E Train

One Too Many
SlyGI said:
Thanks for the fix on the picture. I still haven't figured out how to imbed a photo. Every time I try to load one up, I get an error message. Rats!

You had your image uploaded to Picasa, which is fine. What you want to do though, is to embed the image directly from Picasa into your post. Say you have the image open in Picasa, just right-click on it and select Properties. You'll see the direct URL to the image, which you can highlight and then press Ctrl+C on your keyboard to copy. That is if you're using Internet Explorer. If you're using Mozilla Firefox, you can just right-click on the image and select "Copy Image Location."

Once you have the direct URL to the image copied, you can use it in your post. Click the "Insert Image" button and then press Ctrl+V to paste the URL and click OK.

Also, I noticed that you had spaces in the file name of the picture, and that may cause the image not to embed correctly. Avoid using spaces in the file name and use underscores instead, like Stylemaster_in_Moonstone.jpg instead of Stylemaster in Moonstone.jpg.

Hope that helps. Now post some more pictures!

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Dinerman, JTL,

there are people around having a private fleet of Bentleys, Ferraris, Trabbis, RRs, Lambos .......

So what!

Nothing to nearly match up with your collection of 7xes.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou