Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Pics of Your Cafe Racer Jackets

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Sunny day, so figured I'd take some photos of my jackets. Schott CR. I've stopped babying it and turned it into a daily beater jacket. I literally use it as a rain coat. This is what it looks like after a month of foul weather. Extremely tough jacket.

Daily beater jacket !! Rain Coat !! I feel like someone just kicked me in the stomach!!

Love those vintage Cal Leathers Cafe racers! Super rare too!
Never seen one without the classic Cal Leathers Six panel back...

Yep, that's also what Cal folks told me, how it must've been a custom take on their standard Six panel back Cafe. Took a while to ID it. It's an insanely good jacket. I'm completely hooked but these rarely appear so I was lucky to land one. Leather is just... it. Reminds me why I'm so in love with these old jackets.

This one's particularly interesting; It's a long jacket, 28" or so in the back, almost coat-ish. 27" sleeve length. Still, the main zipper ends just at the belt just as it normally would. Side pockets are my favorite part. I've never once seen anything like it, not on this style of a CR - especially not on such an old one. Closest thing I can think of is a Brimaco CR but these appeared a decade later.

Last edited:
Daily beater jacket !! Rain Coat !! I feel like someone just kicked me in the stomach!!

It's never gonna look the part if I'm just gonna wear it to prance around the shopping mall. It's a good jacket, it needs to live a good life! I can only hope to take a spill once or twice in it. XD

I don't go to shopping malls anyway.

Richbear

Familiar Face
Sunny day, so figured I'd take some photos of my jackets. Schott CR. I've stopped babying it and turned it into a daily beater jacket. I literally use it as a rain coat. This is what it looks like after a month of foul weather. Extremely tough jacket.

Monitor, that looks like my old Schott from 1975, is this model discontinued? That is my favorite jacket of jackets, incredible.

technovox

One Too Many
Yep, that's also what Cal folks told me, how it must've been a custom take on their standard Six panel back Cafe. Took a while to ID it. It's an insanely good jacket. I'm completely hooked but these rarely appear so I was lucky to land one. Leather is just... it. Reminds me why I'm so in love with these old jackets.

This one's particularly interesting; It's a long jacket, 28" or so in the back, almost coat-ish. 27" sleeve length. Still, the main zipper ends just at the belt just as it normally would. Side pockets are my favorite part. I've never once seen anything like it, not on this style of a CR - especially not on such an old one. Closest thing I can think of is a Brimaco CR but these appeared a decade later.

Just looking at the photos, I could instantly tell it was a Cal Leather jacket- it just had that look. Something about the way Cal Leathers does their shoulder seams is very unique - it's like a hand sewn vibe. And their non-gusseted zippered sleeves. Nice score!

Last edited:
Monitor, that looks like my old Schott from 1975, is this model discontinued? That is my favorite jacket of jackets, incredible.

You must mean the 654. :) Yeah, it's heavily based on the jacket you're referring to. They are actually still producing their classic Cafe but only for the Japanese market. It is called the 641XX.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/jalana/item/schott-641xx-blk/

The closest match you can buy in the US is the CAF1.

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/mens-vintaged-steerhide-black-leather.htm?catID=7

CAF1 is based on the line of jackets Schott produced for the Beck but they've altered the fit. My jacket is from an edition they've done exclusively for the Confederate Motorcycles company. It's the same jacket as CAF1, only a bit slimmed down and with branding of course. Seems the CM jackets have been sold out though... But there's the 100th Anniversary edition you can still find.

As for the 654 CR, it often appears on the 'bay but most sellers are asking silly money for it. I'm not really sure why. Schott was producing that jacket for 20 years, must've been made in tens of thousands.

Just looking at the photos, I could instantly tell it was a Cal Leather jacket- it just had that look. Something about the way Cal Leathers does their shoulder seams is very unique - it's like a hand sewn vibe. And their non-gusseted zippered sleeves. Nice score!

That's exactly it, you said it perfectly - hand sewn vibe! The whole jacket is like that. It's 18" around the shoulders, the same as that Schott for example but they still somehow appear very exaggerated. The whole jacket is very V-shaped while being fitted. Just extremely well tailored and made.
It's impossible not to fall in love with it. I'm on the hunt for another but yeah, they're rare.

technovox

One Too Many
That's exactly it, you said it perfectly - hand sewn vibe! The whole jacket is like that. It's 18" around the shoulders, the same as that Schott for example but they still somehow appear very exaggerated. The whole jacket is very V-shaped while being fitted. Just extremely well tailored and made.
It's impossible not to fall in love with it. I'm on the hunt for another but yeah, they're rare.
Dang! I wish I would have known you were looking for another one. I just sold one of my vintage Cal Leathers horsehide racers. This particular jacket had diamond protection on the elbows and shoulders. Oh well...if I find another one...

Dang! I wish I would have known you were looking for another one. I just sold one of my vintage Cal Leathers horsehide racers. This particular jacket had diamond protection on the elbows and shoulders. Oh well...if I find another one...

It's even better I didn't know, man. I'm utterly broke ATM and I don't know if I'd be able to resist buying it.

Fantastic Beau Breed I just got from Novos. Really nice jacket, just perfect example of a classic CR.

I always wanted this jacket, ever since I saw it in the movie. :D
MV5BMjE1Njg0MzMyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzY3ODE1NA@@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112