Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Propper (NOT Propper as it turns out) USGI Peacoat missing

T Rick

Practically Family
Returned home from a work assignment in another State today. The friend I was renting from/sharing a house with passed away just before my leaving, but I was told not to worry about the house, nothing would be touched until after the first of the year. When I returned, it seems the family came in like a bunch of locusts and cleared out much of the house, including the front closet where I had several items. A few years ago, I had purchased a new Propper Peacoat (size 48) and it had very little wear (gone for 3 of 4 last winters, mostly in Florida).

Wondering if Propper still is the (or a) supplier to the USN, can't seem to find anything on them on line (not listed on Propper's site). I need to find a new replacement, as the Michigan Winter is fast approaching (I'll check the surplus store I bought it from tomorrow, but the fact I can't find mention of them worries me a bit). Also lost an OD Green trench coat. Of course, none of this matters compared to the loss of my friend, but I don't put up with my property just being taken.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Sorry to hear about your friend.

Theft of clothes is a issue for me. Have you tried contacting the relatives?

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks, yes, the relatives have been contacted. Of course they didn't know they were mine. Ignorant idiots. Wouldn't be a matter for the police, it would be a civil matter (Michigan has treble damages for tenants in disputes, but this situation is of course unique). But that is another matter entirely, the issue at hand is to find a suitable replacement. Place I bought it doesn't have Proper, I don't think they even make them anymore. They have one with a contract number, but I still suspect knock off (going to see it now). Can't believe at $169 it's of the same quality as the one I paid the same store $285 for. We'll see.

BTW, family says items were donated to the Salvation Army. Just came from there, of course being two weeks ago, they were gone (London Fog trench in OD Green was the other).

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, yes, the relatives have been contacted. Of course they didn't know they were mine. Ignorant idiots. Wouldn't be a matter for the police, it would be a civil matter (Michigan has treble damages for tenants in disputes, but this situation is of course unique). But that is another matter entirely, the issue at hand is to find a suitable replacement. Place I bought it doesn't have Proper, I don't think they even make them anymore. They have one with a contract number, but I still suspect knock off (going to see it now). Can't believe at $169 it's of the same quality as the one I paid the same store $285 for. We'll see.

BTW, family says items were donated to the Salvation Army. Just came from there, of course being two weeks ago, they were gone (London Fog trench in OD Green was the other).

Sorry, but I'd be seeking reparation from the relatives.

David Minton

New in Town
I collect US Navy issued peacoats and I can't recall ever seeing Proper as the maker listed on the label. Then again, I collect coats from before the manufacture was added to the label (I believe around 1968), so I am not an expert in this area.

I believe Sterlingware of Boston holds the current Navy contract, or if not, did so until recently. I believe you can buy an authentic Navy issue peacoat from them, but have to call. If not, I believe this is the closest on their website: http://www.sterlingwear.com/cart/index.php?p=product&id=10&parent=1

Personally, I wear vintage Navy issue peacoats, and try to stick to 1965 or earlier. I am not alone in the opinion that the pea coats made prior to 1980 are far superior in the quality of the materials to the current ones. The current Melton wool is thinner, and not a tight a weave as the original Kersey wool. My collection goes back to late WWII, and the 1940s wool is even a bit nicer than the 1950s and 1960s examples I have.

You can find size 48 vintage coats for far less than a new one from Sterlingware. I think I paid about $60-80 for a size 46 1950s peacoat for a friend a few months ago.

T Rick

Practically Family
I collect US Navy issued peacoats and I can't recall ever seeing Proper as the maker listed on the label. Then again, I collect coats from before the manufacture was added to the label (I believe around 1968), so I am not an expert in this area.

I believe Sterlingware of Boston holds the current Navy contract, or if not, did so until recently. I believe you can buy an authentic Navy issue peacoat from them, but have to call. If not, I believe this is the closest on their website: http://www.sterlingwear.com/cart/index.php?p=product&id=10&parent=1

Personally, I wear vintage Navy issue peacoats, and try to stick to 1965 or earlier. I am not alone in the opinion that the pea coats made prior to 1980 are far superior in the quality of the materials to the current ones. The current Melton wool is thinner, and not a tight a weave as the original Kersey wool. My collection goes back to late WWII, and the 1940s wool is even a bit nicer than the 1950s and 1960s examples I have.

You can find size 48 vintage coats for far less than a new one from Sterlingware. I think I paid about $60-80 for a size 46 1950s peacoat for a friend a few months ago.

You are quite right. I put in a phone call to Propper, and it turns out I must have been mistaken on the brand. The lady I spoke with has been with them for 15 years, and they have not produced a Navy peacoat in that time.

Hmm... bad memory aside, I went to where I bought the last one. They have an acceptable replacement (is it in fact the same manuf? Don't know as I now don't know who made my last one!. It was $195, not the $169 I mentioned above). And that brings to question whether my last was $285, or $185? Anyway, the new one is or seems to be the real deal (branded Liberty by some other Co, perhaps as in your link- it is on layaway until the relatives of my friend come in to town next week and reimburse me). It is made in USA, and seems very like my last one, though maybe not quite as nice.

Good to know about the vintage ones, I will need to start shopping for one of those as well. eBay as one source I suppose, antique dealers too. Any other suggestions?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've always thought it would be wise to jot down minute details of a valuable garment that you could bring up to a seller if it's stolen if you see it listed online for sale. For instance, if the seller uploads only a single front shot of the jacket, you would know that the back panel has a small scratch near the armpit seam or something that would alert the seller it had possibly passed through your hands. Or if it's a custom size and the seller hasn't listed the measurements, you'd have the measurements from your custom piece already and you could send him/the police an email in the spirit of this:

"Hello, I believe you are selling a custom jacket which was stolen from me. To prove to you it is mine, I am providing you with the measurements of this particular jacket, noting you havent listed the measurements in your listing. While you might think the measurements I'm sending are simply pulled from the manufacturer, I am also including an email to me from the manufacturer which the measurements of a stock size 40R are included, to show you that the jacket you are listing is custom. Also, the manufacturer has graciously provided me a copy of the original invoice when I purchased the jacket on xx/xx/xxxx. Here is also a link to a thread on a website of me wearing the jacket.

Just throwing some ideas out there. The likelihood of this working is slim to none, but perhaps this might help. If the seller's considerate perhaps they'd pull the listing and allow time to work out the fiasco. If the seller gives back attitude and you're exceptionally polite, store and forward the conversation-this will only sway the police in your favor.
In California, I think grand theft is a value of over $950. Show the police that invoice.
I've actually had nightmares of getting a jacket stolen, so I've put a lot of thought into this.

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
I've always thought it would be wise to jot down minute details of a valuable garment that you could bring up to a seller if it's stolen if you see it listed online for sale. For instance, if the seller uploads only a single front shot of the jacket, you would know that the back panel has a small scratch near the armpit seam or something that would alert the seller it had possibly passed through your hands. Or if it's a custom size and the seller hasn't listed the measurements, you'd have the measurements from your custom piece already and you could send him/the police an email in the spirit of this:

"Hello, I believe you are selling a custom jacket which was stolen from me. To prove to you it is mine, I am providing you with the measurements of this particular jacket, noting you havent listed the measurements in your listing. While you might think the measurements I'm sending are simply pulled from the manufacturer, I am also including an email to me from the manufacturer which the measurements of a stock size 40R are included, to show you that the jacket you are listing is custom. Also, the manufacturer has graciously provided me a copy of the original invoice when I purchased the jacket on xx/xx/xxxx. Here is also a link to a thread on a website of me wearing the jacket.

Just throwing some ideas out there. The likelihood of this working is slim to none, but perhaps this might help. If the seller's considerate perhaps they'd pull the listing and allow time to work out the fiasco. If the seller gives back attitude and you're exceptionally polite, store and forward the conversation-this will only sway the police in your favor.
In California, I think grand theft is a value of over $950. Show the police that invoice.
I've actually had nightmares of getting a jacket stolen, so I've put a lot of thought into this.
Interesting thoughts. Never considered this with jackets, as mine are not of exceptional value. I do have lots of other valuable items, guitars, firearms, watches. There are all serialized.

As it turns out, I was surprised to learn that these people feel no remorse or responsibility in this instance, showing a side of themselves that frankly shocked me. While my intention was to negotiate in good faith for the purchase of the house, attitudes and events already developed show that to be an unlikely scenario. Looks like moving day will be forthcoming, a situation I loath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ