Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Displays of Affection

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Miss Neecerie said:
Too many variables in this...

Bad pastrami might be worse then some....

Good pastrami might totally eclipse others.......

and a whole bunch in between where the meat might not be better then the meat.....

Hey!!!

Good grief. :)

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Leaving aside my conviction that "affection" is incapable of describing the common phenomena to which we are referring, I must cast my satchel among those who delineate the differences.

Tender affection is perfectly fine in the public sphere. In fact, as a knee-jerk reaction to the feigned and snooty Victorian style moral conduct that still manages to hold on among some portions of the population, little bits of affection go a long way toward showing our species is not actually dead!

Thirsty love cravings for all to view should be avoided because I say so. And I am entitled to arbitrary opinions and sensibilities.:p

A little bit of class is appropriate when displaying affection.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Hand holding is acceptable, just as is linked arms. I'll give my man the occasional PECK when out, but we save the hotter stuff for when we are alone. No one needs to see us make out, besides, i don't think it's really that hot anyways.

Just because i don't shove my tounge down my mans throat when out in public doesn't mean we're aren't madly in love.

But i do love to see older couples holding hands and being generally in love. It's sweet. My Grandparents were married for 50+ years and never ONCE fell out of love. It was beautiful. My own parents have been married for 33 years and are still madly in love with each other.

I love love <3

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
klind65 said:
I wonder if it is a global aberration or only a local problem.:(

It's a local problem that's being spread from the U.S. to the world. In Chile a decade ago, aside from the traditional embraces and cheek-kissing during greetings and farewells, little PDA was in view.

Now, largely thanks to Facebook, YouTube, and imported "gringo" reality shows (dubbed in Spanish), more and more Chileans dress, text, twitter and tongue-swap "como los Norteamericanos."

klind65

One of the Regulars
la vie en rose said:
Personally, I agree with some of the above posters - there can be varying degrees of affection, some of which are appropriate in public and some in private. My boyfriend often opens doors for me, helps me carry things (groceries, et cetera), steadies me on the bus and watches out for me near dangerous roads; perhaps I'm being overliteral but I think these are all displays of affection too! They show that he cares about me just as much as when we hold hands or link arms.

That being said, I think chaste kisses in public are perfectly acceptable - when we part ways en route, for example, a quick goodbye kiss and hug would not offend anyone. However, any longer than a second or two, and it might be veering on unsuitable territory.
Lucky you! You've found a fabulous fella.:D

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Dewhurst said:
A little bit of class is appropriate when displaying affection.
Of course! And as my mother always says: "ABA (Always Be Appropriate)." lol

I can actually sympathize with that girl (is she a nurse?) who is being mauled by that sailor. My fiancé is a military man, and as we get to see each other once a week at most, he lets social standards fly to the wind when we first see each other.

Although, it never goes beyond what that sailor is doing - I make sure he knows the boundaries! ;)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
It's a local problem that's being spread from the U.S. to the world. In Chile a decade ago, aside from the traditional embraces and cheek-kissing during greetings and farewells, little PDA was in view.
Now, largely thanks to Facebook, YouTube, and imported "gringo" reality shows (dubbed in Spanish), more and more Chileans dress, text, twitter and tongue-swap "como los Norteamericanos."

Shame on us Yankees! You know, Marc, that reminds me of when I was a young colege boy and had a Cuban-American girlfriend. As to Cuban custom, we would sometimes kiss each other on the cheek, rather than the mouths, when parting in public. I'm sure that some saw it as a bit odd, but I don't recall feeling overly old-fashioned. Now, we would probably be looked at as real oddballs. Pero asi' es la vida, ?no?

December

One of the Regulars
My fiance and I hold hands everywhere we go. We'll hug and have little kisses too- just a little peck, nothing more.

It's so rare to see anyone over 30 showing affection to each other in public and that makes me sad. I love it when I see an old couple holding hands as they walk down the road. It makes me all smushy :)

There are too many teenagers where I live who practically eat each other. It's especially bad when they are on public transport with me and I can hear the kissy noises. *yucky*

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
December said:
My fiance and I hold hands everywhere we go. We'll hug and have little kisses too- just a little peck, nothing more.

It's so rare to see anyone over 30 showing affection to each other in public and that makes me sad. I love it when I see an old couple holding hands as they walk down the road. It makes me all smushy :)

There are too many teenagers where I live who practically eat each other. It's especially bad when they are on public transport with me and I can hear the kissy noises. *yucky*

I know what you mean about old couples. Can you imagine, many of those couples have probably been in love for 30 or more years? Its so sweet, makes me gushy-smushy too :p

Teenagers like that make me sick. It embarrasses everyone around when you grope each other and swap spit. Why is it necessary?

Elaina

One Too Many
Eh, I don't care one way or the other. Most of the time, if I'm out and by myself, I have my nose shoved so far into a book I never pay any attention anyway.

Kissing on a bus? Really, it amuses me to no end. They are on a BUS and have to resort to making out there. I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds that whole thing funny in a really lame way.

I'm considered to be very cold and aloof anyway, so it's excessive PDA isn't something I have to deal with in my own life, and there's something about me that tends to make others uncomfortable in being too excessive around me as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt