Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purchasing a Custom Fitted Custom Hat While Living in The Mid Atlantic Area

The issue is, I don't know what either my head shape or headsize is, I just know the size I "usually" wear, which differs manufacturer to manufacturer. I've measured my head hundreds of times, but it all changes depending on how tight I wrap the tape measure, and when you get into half sizes, whew! I doubt anybody could possibly figure out such a thing unless they either used a confromateur or visited a custom hatter who "knows his stuff". I do badly want to get a proper bowler in the future though, which complicates it further.
This is my business. I know how to instruct you how to measure a head to determine size/shape. If I didn't know how to do it correctly I would not have an online business. You are overly complicating what is a fairly straightforward process. Here is an offer: I will walk you through the process without you having to place an order. There will be no charge for this. The only requirement is you follow the instructions.

ClaytonMoore

New in Town
This is my business. I know how to instruct you how to measure a head to determine size/shape. If I didn't know how to do it correctly I would not have an online business. You are overly complicating what is a fairly straightforward process. Here is an offer: I will walk you through the process without you having to place an order. There will be no charge for this. The only requirement is you follow the instructions.
Thank you for your assistance. What must I do to correctly determine my size/shape.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I do badly want to get a proper bowler in the future though, which complicates it further.
With the more firm head opening and from my experience, the best way to get a proper fit with a stiff felt bowler is to measure the head opening side to side and front to back (in centimeters). I am a 7 1/8 (57) RO with virtually every manufacturer and every style of soft felt hat (fedora, homburg, pork pie, western) but bowlers - particularly the old one's from 1900-1920...and many vintage European bowlers - can be too "round" and also tend to run small (again, in my experience). Length X width measurements have been most accurate for me.

If you already have a hat or two or three that fit you well, take your measurements from those and use the average LxW. Those measures should get you a bowler that has a higher probability of a good fit.

Good luck on your hunt.

20191106_091528.jpg

Well, I tried my best. I sent him many pictures of the process, with detailed instructions but he seems fully hell bent on being right about it being impossible for him to correctly measure his head.

After multiple emails, multiple detailed responses to his questions I have officially thrown in the towel, admitted defeat and now am pouring myself a stiff drink.

Well, I tried my best. I sent him many pictures of the process, with detailed instructions but he seems fully hell bent on being right about it being impossible for him to correctly measure his head.

After multiple emails, multiple detailed responses to his questions I have officially thrown in the towel, admitted defeat and now am pouring myself a stiff drink.

A for effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart