Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

QM prep

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Ok Ladies, make me feel better here.

I cannot be the only one already ebaying with the QM in mind, can I?

I find myself making a list of things it would be good to have with me this year, and trying to get started on the buying and prep and planning.

Surely I am not the only insane one.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ok, to help you out, I'll post my checklist:

I already have two outfits but here's the list

1) hat to go with knit outfit
2) 1 orangish, 1 brown, 1 tan purse, 1 gold and 1 white evening clutch
3) 1 each gold and silver evening shoes
4) draft pattern for evening dress 1
5) resize pattern for evening dress 2
6) buy gold lame, white beaded fabric, rhinestone clasp and matching buttons
7) make slips in ivory and flesh tone
8) make vintage style PJs
9) Research fashion in 1940
10) Make suit
11) Find appropriate hat for said suit if I don't have one that will work.

That's the wish list anyways ;)

Vanessa

One Too Many
I have a checklist, except it's subject to changes every day. . .so I won't post it for a month or so more when things start to finalize in my head. But I've been planning and searching ebay almost since the end of last November. Sad, I know. :rolleyes:
You're not alone, Neecerie. Not by far.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Vanessa said:
...But I've been planning and searching ebay almost since the end of last November...

This is totally Mrs. Cab. All she needed was to see the many wonderful photos of you all...she was on eBay religiously after that. "Day dresses. Day dresses. Must find day dresses!"

It's worn off a bit due to schedule and budget, but we are itching to know when the fabled weekend will be. November is already getting scarce for "free" time for us.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
ITG said:
Belly Tank, does this mean you're going to come join us this year at the QM?

Hi ITG!
Well- it's not completely out of the question but I do have a 7 month old baby girl...

I would dearly love to come to the QM this year but I wouldn't put money on it.
I was really thinking of the other American men-

Cheers,

B
T

Emily C.

New in Town
Miss Neecerie said:
Ok Ladies, make me feel better here.

I cannot be the only one already ebaying with the QM in mind, can I?

I find myself making a list of things it would be good to have with me this year, and trying to get started on the buying and prep and planning.

Surely I am not the only insane one.

I also am sewing things for the next QM event! I have never been before, but it sounds like so much fun!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Emily, see if you can talk your sister into coming too. She was there the year before last and roomed with me right before she moved to NM. She had a blast and could probably easily be talked into going.

Emily C.

New in Town
ITG said:
Emily, see if you can talk your sister into coming too. She was there the year before last and roomed with me right before she moved to NM. She had a blast and could probably easily be talked into going.

Oh, I'm sure she would love to go again, she still talks about how much fun it was. I would love for her to come too. I'll try and talk her into it!

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
I'm new here so please forgive me for being ignorant, but what is the QM event? I just moved to Florida from California and already miss my beloved Queen Mary so I'd love to hear all about it!

Jonni

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So confused, one day one thing, the next another

I started thinking about the this years QM the day I stepped off the ship last year! Everytime I bid on something I say to myself "Is this QM worthy?"
I believe I have the evening wear down, but who knows what I will find before then, so this could easily change. I love all of the gowns I have acquired, but I look at them and think, are these the right ones for such a spectacular event. I might need help from you ladies on this one. If I find a dress that I really like, I might just have to post it and beg for your advice. I have a few day outfits, that I really want to bring, and I just bought some hat boxes so I can have a few hats with me. Hmmm, now I'm all confused.I have a good amount of vintage, but some of it I'm gonna sell on ebay to make some money to buy things I like even more. A lot of the dresses I bought in the fall are too big now. I just want to look like I got the vintage thing down, since I have seen pictures of some of you, and you look so put together. I've planned on bringing many outfit changes. One for breakfast, then a change for afternoon activities. Another outfit for drinks at the Observation bar before dinner, then a quick outfit change for dinner. Wow, I think I'm only going for four days, but I have a feeling I'm gonna be paying that extra fee for a heavy suitcase.
I'm so jealous of the girls who are making their own outfits. I know that they will be perfect. I would love to hear more about what you ladies are planning on bringing. I want to make sure I have enough. I also hear that finding vintage clothes in the area is really easy. It might be fun to visit a few vintage stores together, just as long as we don't fight over the same outfits!
Who here is going to NYC in May?? I am so looking forward to that, and have spent a few hours planning outfits. I better get myself together. I plan on getting my hair done the day we leave, so at least I'll have that under my belt. As for outfits, I'm way too indecisive!
Hope you all are having a great week,
Daisy

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
jonniangel said:
I'm new here so please forgive me for being ignorant, but what is the QM event? I just moved to Florida from California and already miss my beloved Queen Mary so I'd love to hear all about it!

Jonni

The QM event is in Nov....its a joint event between the Lounge here and the Indiana Jones board over...heck, I dunno the URL, ITG knows...

We don't even have the dates announced yet, so all this prep is us just being eager.....

Vanessa

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
I believe I have the evening wear down

Daisy, I think you have enough clothes for 3 QM trips. Everytime I blip onto FL to check new messages, I'm always wondering "oooh, I wonder if Daisy's bought anything else & put up some more yummy pictures!" I can't wait to see what you'll be decked out in this November. :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Indiana Jones site is called Club Obi Wan, or otherwise known as COW. They are a nice group of people. They have activities planned for the entire weekend as well, and then in the evening we all merge for dinner, and after, drinks in the Observation Bar. A lot of the men on the FL are also members of COW. So during the day you will see a lot of Indiana Jones' running all over the ship, and in the evening they get dressed in their finest vintage/vintage looking digs, and shave off the face stubble recquired for the Indy look.
The QM is a great event! Not to be missed. Such a fun group of people all dressed up, looking their finest. Last year I went, and I didn't have anything vintage to wear. But I was so impressed by this fine group of people, I came home to Boston with such a love for everything vintage. I always loved the time, and the movies, but I'd never thought that I would incorporate vintage clothing into my everyday attire. Thanks to the QM, I met a lot of great people, who I'm still in contact with, some from COW, some from the FL. Dressing vintage is such a classy way to express oneself, and all the people who go to the event are definitely that!
So, start planning your outfits!
Ms Neceerie, I believe I might be as eager as you to get my wardrobe ready. Before you know it we will be having a drink together. I don't even know if you remember me, but I sat at your table the during the black tie dinner we had the Friday night on board. I wasn't dressed in vintage, but we had a nice conversation about it, and you are one of the people who showed me how great the vintage life is. So, you are partly responsible for my vintage addiction! (hehehehe) I'm glad to hear that you are starting to think about what to bring. I thought I might be a bit nuts for starting to plan already! Keep us all informed about your plans. It never hurts to plan ahead. I'm already stressed because just about every pair of vintage shoes that I have bought, don't fit me right. They are all so narrow. But, I have found a few pairs of modern vintage looking shoes, so I might have to wear those. Hopefully my outfits will be so cute, nobody will notice the shoes.
Sorry for the long message. I'm sure you all can see through my writing that I'm quite excited for the event. NYC should be fun too, I hear a lot of people are going. It should be good practice for me since it will be my first FL event that I will actually dress vintage for. I dress vintage here in Boston, but most people don't get it. It's gonna be fun roaming the streets, in a big group of people, all dressed vintage. Yahoooo!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:
The Indiana Jones site is called Club Obi Wan, or otherwise known as COW. They are a nice group of people. They have activities planned for the entire weekend as well, and then in the evening we all merge for dinner, and after, drinks in the Observation Bar. A lot of the men on the FL are also members of COW. So during the day you will see a lot of Indiana Jones' running all over the ship, and in the evening they get dressed in their finest vintage/vintage looking digs, and shave off the face stubble recquired for the Indy look.
The QM is a great event! Not to be missed. Such a fun group of people all dressed up, looking their finest. Last year I went, and I didn't have anything vintage to wear. But I was so impressed by this fine group of people, I came home to Boston with such a love for everything vintage. I always loved the time, and the movies, but I'd never thought that I would incorporate vintage clothing into my everyday attire. Thanks to the QM, I met a lot of great people, who I'm still in contact with, some from COW, some from the FL. Dressing vintage is such a classy way to express oneself, and all the people who go to the event are definitely that!
So, start planning your outfits!
Ms Neceerie, I believe I might be as eager as you to get my wardrobe ready. Before you know it we will be having a drink together. I don't even know if you remember me, but I sat at your table the during the black tie dinner we had the Friday night on board. I wasn't dressed in vintage, but we had a nice conversation about it, and you are one of the people who showed me how great the vintage life is. So, you are partly responsible for my vintage addiction! (hehehehe) I'm glad to hear that you are starting to think about what to bring. I thought I might be a bit nuts for starting to plan already! Keep us all informed about your plans. It never hurts to plan ahead. I'm already stressed because just about every pair of vintage shoes that I have bought, don't fit me right. They are all so narrow. But, I have found a few pairs of modern vintage looking shoes, so I might have to wear those. Hopefully my outfits will be so cute, nobody will notice the shoes.
Sorry for the long message. I'm sure you all can see through my writing that I'm quite excited for the event. NYC should be fun too, I hear a lot of people are going. It should be good practice for me since it will be my first FL event that I will actually dress vintage for. I dress vintage here in Boston, but most people don't get it. It's gonna be fun roaming the streets, in a big group of people, all dressed vintage. Yahoooo!

Thank you for explaining it better then I did...

and of course I remember you....and oddly enough I wasnt dressed in vintage at all that night either....

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
clothes for QM

Hello, ladies. This is Mrs. Cab here. (Carrie) I should get my own handle for the powder room and join you all!
I was wondering if you could break down for me how long the QM event is, how many evening gowns, and how many day dresses would be required. The only type of 40's attire I have so far is a couple "swing" dresses. (and I can't dance!---yet) I would love to find a gown or two in preparation. The dresses I have seem too formal for daytime, but they are certainly not gowns. When do you wear a dress like that?
Thank you so much!
Carrie

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
the Indiana Jones thing

that would explain why in some of the pictures from last years QM event there were guys dressed that way! Sounds like a blast! have fun!!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Cabinetman said:
Hello, ladies. This is Mrs. Cab here. (Carrie) I should get my own handle for the powder room and join you all!
I was wondering if you could break down for me how long the QM event is, how many evening gowns, and how many day dresses would be required. The only type of 40's attire I have so far is a couple "swing" dresses. (and I can't dance!---yet) I would love to find a gown or two in preparation. The dresses I have seem too formal for daytime, but they are certainly not gowns. When do you wear a dress like that?
Thank you so much!
Carrie

Just a point - you're not 'required' to wear a particular era. So don't feel that you have to conform to the 'I must wear 40's' thing. Lots of people are in modern evening & day clothing, as well as other popular era's like the 30's & 50's. That being said, I believe there is one formal dinner and one semi-formal/cocktail dinner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR