Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality Goat Leather

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
After seeing one or two recent examples here of jackets made with quality, thick goat leather I am considering it for my next custom jacket, a Bootlegger.

I hadn't known or realized that goat leather is considered by those in the know to be on par with steer and horse in terms of quality and aesthetics. I just assumed it was a second rate hide choice.

One concern I have is with the point raised here and there that goat doesn't show age character like steer/horse even after considerable wear time.
How true is this? Any pictures of broken in quality goat would be appreciated.
What I don't really want is a jacket that still looks 'brand new, stiff and shiny' after a a bit of wear.
Why does one choose goat over horse or steer? (apart from its apparent indestructibility as noted elsewhere.)

Oh, and Merry Christmas my friends.
Ted.

What I don't really want is a jacket that still looks 'brand new, stiff and shiny' after a a bit of wear.

The only thing my well broken-in, vintage goat isn't in your list is stiff. It still looks brand new & shiny.
Goat does not petina & develop the character like other hides. It starts out soft, stays that way but doesn't seem to do much else. JMHO

Thanks & Merry Christmas to you, too.

subject101

One of the Regulars
Some folks say all kind of skin can be treated to similar quality levels, I don't know if this is true.

I have an Eastman Leather A-2 in goatskin that it's quite unbreakable. However, I find it very useful in this way. Whenever I need a jacket for rough or dirty conditions, I take this one.

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
Hi

I have an aero long half belt in goat. It has a 1 piece back which aero does not have big enough pieces for currently. It is a beautiful jacket. I think goat is a very good choice because it is comfortable to wear, about half the weight of the horsehide and does not require much break in time. It is a very tough hide but will show wear and tear over time. However, mine is 2 years old and looks brand new. Some of the edges have roughed in a slight bit but I have not scratched or scuffed it or had it dried out. The same kind of wear is true for any jacket that hasn't seen rough treatment however. Goat has a fine pebbly grain that is apparent from the beginning. This is different than horse or steer which may produce a grain after being exposed to moisture. I think it has a resistance to moisture also, since it does not absorb moisture or conditioner as easily as other hides. Pecards leaves a white residue. The fast acting pecards lotion works better.
The thing about goat is that it drapes differently than hvy steer or horse and thus has a different look. I do not think it would look good in a trojan or perfecto style. I really like it in the long halfbelt.
I think some of the thicker hides are just too heavy in the bigger jackets and really wear on the shoulders, especially if you are on your feet all day. On vacation I brought a heavy horse jacket and found myself not wanting to wear the extra 9 lbs plus camera gear ect. I would take the half pound thermal nylon any day with better warmth and weather protection.
As far as riding, I am sure it is very abrasion resistant but if you are not wearing armor underneath, I would stick to a heavier hide.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I have an Aero goatskin A2, which is dark brown over a lighter base. I'm really happy with the way that the dark brown is wearing off at stress points, showing the lighter base underneath. As for patina, in my experience - having also owned a 1940s goatskin 'civilian' flying jacket and a late 1970s USN G-1 - if the hide isn't grainy to begin with, you'll not see any increase in 'pebbling'. Happily, with the Aero A2, it's nice and grainy anyway...

Forrest

Familiar Face
I would really encourage you to get samples from Aero, or whoever else you are ordering from. Not until you handle the different leathers in the flesh, so to speak, will you really understand the difference and have a true preference. I have jackets in horse, goat, lamb, and cowhide. I like them all for different reasons. Goat will not distress or show any wear. I have an LL Bean A-2 in goat from 1989 (when they were still made in the US and had a trimmer fit) and it still looks brand new. It is a wonderful jacket, but it will never look aged. I would think horsehide would be a better choice for a Bootlegger, but really it is all personal preference.

kojax

Practically Family
i want to get a mark 31 russet goatskin from gibson barnes. i have samples the russet goatskin looks great. i have one of there a2 jacket made from dark seal goatskin always looks the same. gibson barnes has nice goatskin leather.

ampgoesto11

New in Town
I wore a custom LW Suburban in 2.5 goat. It was lovely. I purchased it used, but you would never know it. It was light weight, tough, and wonderful. I lament that I sold it. My next new purchase will be a LW custom Ryder in his heaviest goat. Great stuff.

Goat does lack certain qualities, as has been mentioned It does have it's place though in a collection.
OTOH, you don't have to break it in like other thicker, tougher hides.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Goat is by far my favorite leather - soft, light and strong. If it's veg dyed the colour wears like any other leather. Sure it's strong and abrasion resistant but that is for me the whole point of leather.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Chrome tanned and drum dyed goat pretty much stays like it is. But Aero's goatskin is veg tanned and spray finished over a milk coffee base. That's a totally different beast. It ages slowly but very nicely showing some lighter spots at stress points. It doesn't have much in common with the stuff you can get from The Cockpit, G&B (apart from their veg tanned russet goat) or US Authentic.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Love goatskin...

It's my favourite hide too and I concur with points already mentioned.

I do own a new jacket made of goatskin (and have another on order) but also have two original G-1 jackets made of the stuff. One is a late forties the other early fifties and both in fantastic condition, not stiff or dry and neither have any sign of significant damage so it stands the test alright.

I also really like mid weight horse hide but personally I wouldn't go near the heavy FQHH unless it was for motorcycle jacket.

One more point, you very rarely see goatskin offered in any colour other than dark brown... :confused:

Aether

One of the Regulars
I'd really like to go for a goat jacket at some point but would like it in a tan/butterscotch colour. I know Langlitz offers it, but to buy from the UK would be very pricey. I wonder if Aero have any squirreled away?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Chrome tanned and drum dyed goat pretty much stays like it is. But Aero's goatskin is veg tanned and spray finished over a milk coffee base. That's a totally different beast. It ages slowly but very nicely showing some lighter spots at stress points. It doesn't have much in common with the stuff you can get from The Cockpit, G&B (apart from their veg tanned russet goat) or US Authentic.

That's what I was trying to say, but Jan explained it much more clearly! :eusa_clap

I really dig my Aero A2...

apba1166

A-List Customer
Not seen the Aero, but have tried on the Langlitz, which makes a Cascade in goat (I suppose they will make anything in it, from flight jackets to motos), sometimes w/piping, that is as good as it gets. Priced a tad higher than their regular Cascade.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Golden Bear Sportswear is in my backyard. We grew up wearing their jackets. Here is a picture of a couple of their A-2 jackests in goatskin. The one in front is about 25 years old. I got it as a teenager and have since outgrown it. What you are seeing is a good 20 years of hard wear; rain, snow, mud, sand, motorcycles, falling down drunk, fighting on concrete in the streets, sleeping on the ground when camping, getting thrown in jails in banana republics that the US doesn't even have a consulate, et cetera. The one behind it is a recent replacement. Goatskin will break in and wear with time. If you want to look like Indiana Jones, you have to earn it. Or just buy it "pre faded" at the mall like you do with your jeans.
100_0098.jpg

Fifty150

One Too Many
As I recall, the price was about $75. This was at the factory. With "Reaganomics" in the 80's, I may have even haggled them. Even at today's prices, a jacket that will last for the next quarter century is a bargain. If I didn't physically outgrow it, I'd still be wearing it today. The leather is still in great condition. Back in high school, I wore a 42" chest, and fought in the ring as a light heavyweight (175 lbs). Today, I wear a 48" chest, weigh over 200 lbs, and do most of my fighting in bar rooms. My Cockpit USA jacket is a 50, and strains across the back whenever I raise my arms, reach for the handlebars, or turn the wheel in my truck. How I wish for a narrow physique so that I can wear off the rack clothes.

xt40

Familiar Face
i have a cooper g1 which started out too big. after shrinking it in the dryer, it did develop some nice pebbling/grain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot