Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality ladies shoes question.

frijoli

One of the Regulars
I have been turned on to Allen Edmonds quality men's shoes through this group and now my wife is asking about ladies shoes. Of course I know nothing about women's shoes.
So ladies can you point me to the correct direction? Looking for everyday shoes as well as office and dress shoes. Mainly casual office and everyday shoes.

Thanks for your help!

Clay

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
My friend you are in the same place that I am. I won't say there are no quality woman's shoes, but that's almost correct. Crockett & Jones and Church's have small woman's lines and both AE and Alden can do custom work ups of their shoes. If she is say a woman's 8 and up, she should be ok because she can convert her size to man's sizing and get a man's shoe that suits her tastes. However, my wife is a woman's 6 and not many makers have a size 4 or something in man's readily available. I spoke with Alden and they can do a custom shoe in a woman's size but you must go through a local Alden retailer to initiate the custom order and get the measurements and stuff, they also said it was running 20 weeks on special orders. I sent AE and email and haven't heard back but I'm sure its about the same. The only problem is the prohibitive "custom" upcharge even if its just to make it in a smaller than stocked size. As for C&J, check www.plal.com he stocks the woman's line and his prices aren't too bad considering what you're getting. One last idea is to check out Russell Mocs as they specialize in custom fit and custom sized shoes, they have loafers boots and other causal style shoes and their pricing isn't too bad either.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have been turned on to Allen Edmonds quality men's shoes through this group and now my wife is asking about ladies shoes
She's certainly out of luck at the AE price-point but as stated above there are a few Northampton makers who have a limited selection of quality (sewn not glued) footwear for women. One of the reasons you don't see a lot of quality Goodyear welted shoes for women is their tendency to look a bit masculine or matronly due to the thicker soles. It really takes a top bespoke maker to bring feminine aesthetics and quality make together. These are the best I've seen but one pair will run you the price of twenty AE.

The Shooman

Practically Family
She won't just roll her eyes, she'll roll my head! :)

Maybe these would be better:
StefanoBranchini7.jpg

StefanoBranchini8.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
What's with all the rolling menace? I love those Vass shoes, I only wish I could afford them. They look absolutely beautiful!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Are you talking about made-to-order shoes or just high-end designer shoes? For designers, you can't go wrong with a Jimmy Choo or a Manolo Blahnik shoe, both in the $400-$1,000 range. If she like funky, try John Fluevog, more affordable in the $200-$400 range. For vintage repro, Remix, generally under $200, are quite popular around here.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
If my husband gave me a shoe that looked like that, I'd smack him over the head with it. That doesn't even look like a ladies' shoe to me.

annet

One of the Regulars
they are absolutely not my thing either. i have fairly large feet, especially compared to the rest of me, so anything with a large or wide tip makes me look like i am wearing flippers!

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
See, I think some of the Vass models are great. I swing between ultra-girly and doing the menswear look. That said, the site Tomaso linked to - John Lobb. OMG, I am in love!!!!!! There are some seriously gorgeous shoes on that site. However, that fact that with each shoe it says to send an email to inquire means I could never, ever afford them. Sort of like walking into a shop that has very few things hanging on the racks and no prices. Nice to look at, but not for me.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
See, I think some of the Vass models are great. I swing between ultra-girly and doing the menswear look. That said, the site Tomaso linked to - John Lobb. OMG, I am in love!!!!!! There are some seriously gorgeous shoes on that site. However, that fact that with each shoe it says to send an email to inquire means I could never, ever afford them. Sort of like walking into a shop that has very few things hanging on the racks and no prices. Nice to look at, but not for me.

I agree I go by the theory of if you have to ask how much you can't afford it.

Also Allen Edmund did at one point have a womens shoe line but was discontinued I got one of the last pairs from a retailer long ago. They were lovely shoes but alas by feet got larger and they ceased to fit and I no longer have them. Perhaps if you vigilantly case ebay for a pair one will turn up. I know mine were spectator style flats with olive green leather with brown. Personally would check out the remix line I have been very happy with the quality of the shoes I have purchased from them.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Vass shoes are indeed lovely and delectable.

I guess I am prejudiced on the others because they do not look remotely vintage. And why are we here?

I also feel that the back of the heel of the shoe, from om the top edge of the upper down to the tip of the heel, should echo the curve made by the lady's calf, ankle and shoe. If it goes straight down, it interrupts the rhythm. Toes should not be too exaggerated, whether they are square, round or pointed.

If you want it to look at all Golden Era, and be tasteful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24