Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about a wallet

B. White

New in Town
Hey guys,

I’ve been thinking of buying a new wallet for myself cause mine is too old. I’d like to buy something different like shark or snake skin.
What do you think? Does any of you have this kind of wallet?

Girls, what kind of wallet would you like your BF to have? (except the fact that it should be full of money :):):) )

filfoster

One Too Many
I'm content with the calfskin that your pocket polishes to a glossy sheen. People say sharkskin lasts forever but the sewing is the key for durability with any of these and only use can really prove how good that is.
Isn't the trick with all of them to keep them from morphing into a (George) 'Costanza"?

Hercule

Practically Family
I use eel skin - very glossy and vintage looking. I find they usually hold up for a few+ years then I get a new one. I don't believe I've ever paid more that $20 for one via Amazon.

Edward

Bartender
Those look decent enough. I can't comment on sharkskin or eelskin as I've never used either. I've been through a few wallets in that general style over the years, though... most of them were perfectly serviceable, and fell into disuse more because I received a new one as a gift than anything else. Before that I used skater wallets on a chain... they have the advantage that you can't leave them behind (got to walk off without it and it hits you in the back of the leg!), but, well... I could never make them look quite right with a suit... The regular bifolds of the size and shape in your link are very practical. I moved away from them about two years ago when I finally got sick of the bulk - I was terrible for filling them with receipts and all sorts. Decided I needed something smaller that didn't encourage me to wallet-hoard. Ended up with a couple of different things. For one, I bought a Mitchell Leathers Horween steerhide moneyclip wallet in burgundy. Expensive, but very nice. Room for the basic cards I need to carry plus banknotes. http://www.mitchell-leather.com/Other_Products.php Plus it matches my cordovan Aero Bootlegger perfectly, if you're into co-ordinating. (I keep meaning to switch wallets around and coordinate, but only rarely am I sufficiently organsied...). I also picked up two Saddleback Leathers Front Pocket ID Wallets - http://www.saddlebackleather.com/fr...cco&custcol3=Natura Pigskin&custcol15=Current These are very lovely, and get used pretty muh every day. I have my Oyster card in one (London Underground smartcard), along with my work ID card in the 'window', and business cards elsewhere; the other, I use for driving licence (haven't driven in years, but its great for ID), debit card, and banknotes. Coins go in my pocket, loose. Superb wallets, fit anywhere and don't encourage me to keep clutter. I'd highly recommend Saddleback to deal with, and they do a whole host of different style of wallet. http://www.saddlebackleather.com/accessories_2/wallets

The wallet that inspired this downsizing, actually, was a cheap little thing I picked up in China way back in 2009. This one:

IMGP2828.jpg

IMGP2827.jpg.html

Mine claims to be a D&G, but, eh.... Let's just say they had any brand I wanted... ;) I paid the equivalent of GBP3.00, about five dollars, and it was great. I'd arrived there with my regular UK wallet at the time, and wanted something small that would slip in a shirt front pocket, as it was too hot to wear a jacket most of the time, and trouser pockets aren't always best secure in big crowds anywhere in the world. This worked a dream - enough space for bankcard, Beijing subway card, and banknotes. All I needed. I still keep it in the meter cupboard with my passport, and every time I go to Beijing it goes with me. Cracking handy piece of kit. In many ways this would be the perfect wallet, if only somebody like Saddleback made it to their exactling standards. By comparison to my moneyclip wallets, the Saddleback one too a little bit of getting used to ,as I need to fold UK banknotes in a certain way for them to best fit (one of the duofold options you'd find grand, though), but it's really not a problem once used to it. Fantastic things - they really did revolutionise my pockets.

Last edited:

LouisBailie

Banned
Just got a working shop teacher in Utah to make me a shell cordovan (horsehide) wallet and it is great and cost a buck twenty. It is breaking in great and is super heavy duty to haul all my junk inside. I have used alligator for years and they all came apart no matter who made them.

This guy will make you anything out of anything and does great work. www.dontmournorganize.com

Deusis

Vendor
My dos centavos...in my experience, eel skin is nice, but doesn't last very long at all. Like maybe a couple of years. Just a regular ol' quality cowhide wallet is what I find the best. Of course, I'm not interested in it looking "vintagy", just quality and function.

Correct. Eelskin is pretty hit or miss with longevity. If you're really interested in eel, make sure it is lined properly with a solid leather and not something thin. This will make it last multiple years. You're also going to want to make sure that the edges are finished properly so no fraying or separation occurs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy