Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about belt loops

roadking04

Practically Family
Hi guys. It's almost time to submit my jacket order into Langlitz. I can't seem to decide on the belt loops. I definitely like the looks of the belt loops on the Columbia jacket. I would get the belt if I get the jacket with loops. I would only use the belt for longer rides, most of the time no belt.

I am worried the loops will cause problems. This will be my "go to" jacket on and off the bike. Do the loops get caught on things? Do they start to rub holes in drivers seats? Do they scratch wooden chairs?

I would like to go with the loops for mainly looks, but if they are troublesome I would rather delete them.

Thanks guys.

Hi guys. It's almost time to submit my jacket order into Langlitz. I can't seem to decide on the belt loops. I definitely like the looks of the belt loops on the Columbia jacket. I would get the belt if I get the jacket with loops. I would only use the belt for longer rides, most of the time no belt.

I am worried the loops will cause problems. This will be my "go to" jacket on and off the bike. Do the loops get caught on things? Do they start to rub holes in drivers seats? Do they scratch wooden chairs?

I would like to go with the loops for mainly looks, but if they are troublesome I would rather delete them.

Thanks guys.

Don't worry about it.

Never had any sort of issue with belt loops. If you dig them, go for it.

I am excited to see this rig when it’s done.

roadking04

Practically Family
Never had any sort of issue with belt loops. If you dig them, go for it.

I am excited to see this rig when it’s done.

Thanks guys. I never really had a jacket with snaps on the belt loops. Just wanted to make sure there were no hidden issues. I am sure they wouldn't cause trouble on the bike. I was a little worried they would catch on things, or scratch up wooden chairs, or possibly even wear holes in driver's seats.

Only issue I ever had was one or two coming unsnapped when sitting down. And brushing against something. Easy enough to snap them back. If I weren’t going to use a belt though, I wouldn’t want them, but I do like the look without the belt.

Thanks guys. I never really had a jacket with snaps on the belt loops. Just wanted to make sure there were no hidden issues. I am sure they wouldn't cause trouble on the bike. I was a little worried they would catch on things, or scratch up wooden chairs, or possibly even wear holes in driver's seats.

NP. I do drive in my jackets and never had an issue with scratching, imprinting or damaging the seat. Belt loops or no, the Columbia is amazing.

Are the LL belts solid like a cop belt or soft, like what Vanson or LW offer? I visually prefer solid but more often wear my soft Vanson belt.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I only had my Vanson jacket with the belt loops for a short time but they didn’t bother me at all. To be honest sleeve zippers have proved far more problematic as I have some scratch marks on the steering wheel of my van that came from turning the wheel with unzipped sleeve zippers.

I only had my Vanson jacket with the belt loops for a short time but they didn’t bother me at all. To be honest sleeve zippers have proved far more problematic as I have some scratch marks on the steering wheel of my van that came from turning the wheel with unzipped sleeve zippers.
Don’t do that in your monte!!

roadking04

Practically Family
Are the LL belts solid like a cop belt or soft, like what Vanson or LW offer? I visually prefer solid but more often wear my soft Vanson belt.

I asked LL if they offer a belt other than the Sam Browne belt. I'm pretty sure they said they make one similar but with a traditional buckle. I would have to double check. Both belts would be thick and stiff. The only time I would use the belt would be in cold weather to seal out drafts. I am not really sure if the belt does anything at all to be honest.

@El Marro and Ton312, thanks for the input. I think the loops add a little appeal to the back of the jacket. Although, Marro's Columbia makes a strong case to delete the loops.

@Monitor, I really wish I could take this advise. These belt loops are keeping me up at night. LOL.. I have the other details etched in stone for the most part.

I asked LL if they offer a belt other than the Sam Browne belt. I'm pretty sure they said they make one similar but with a traditional buckle. I would have to double check. Both belts would be thick and stiff. The only time I would use the belt would be in cold weather to seal out drafts. I am not really sure if the belt does anything at all to be honest.

@El Marro and Ton312, thanks for the input. I think the loops add a little appeal to the back of the jacket. Although, Marro's Columbia makes a strong case to delete the loops.

@Monitor, I really wish I could take this advise. These belt loops are keeping me up at night. LOL.. I have the other details etched in stone for the most part.
Enjoy the madness. At least you know you’re not alone.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although, Marro's Columbia makes a strong case to delete the loops.
I really like the simplicity of the straight back with no belt loops on both my Columbia and my LW CHP. That said, I do not ride a motorcycle and therefore my decisions were purely aesthetic for a walking around jacket.
Since yours is going to be used on and off the bike I think you should do whatever seems best for you. I’m thinking that’s belt loops

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

Thanks guys.

I don't see any problems with belt looks. I do not like the kind that snap in the middle though. They always twist on the axis of the snaps, resulting in off-line belt loops that look sloppy. I like them to be straight and neat. The best way to do this is to use solid belt loops. For duty belts that have a lot of stuff hanging off of them, this isn't practical, but unless you're a cop, it's not a concern. I'd recommend to ask them to omit the snaps, and just do them solid. If they'll do this, and I see no reason to think they wouldn't, that would be the way to go, in my opinion.

roadking04

Practically Family
@Guppy. That is my concern also with the snap loops. I think they look sloppy/unappealing when they don't line up. Langlitz mentions "wider belt loops for police work" in their catalogue. I am thinking wider loops might stay inline better? I am gonna ask them when I call. I think they have to use snap loops because of the Sam Browne belt. I don't think either end would fit through a solid loop.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
@Guppy. That is my concern also with the snap loops. I think they look sloppy/unappealing when they don't line up. Langlitz mentions "wider belt loops for police work" in their catalogue. I am thinking wider loops might stay inline better? I am gonna ask them when I call. I think they have to use snap loops because of the Sam Browne belt. I don't think either end would fit through a solid loop.
You don't need a Sam Brown belt unless you really want the shoulder strap. Just get a regular belt. Ask them all your questions, and make sure you understand what they are telling you, any terms you think you know what they mean, confirm they mean what you think they mean.

My Cals have loops that are no longer inline. I do find myself adjusting them.

Another option to the solid belt loop option could be what Vanson did on my older model E...two rivets holding the loop in place. That way you don’t loose the snaps. All of the loops on my E are inline and do not move out of alignment.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
My Cals have loops that are no longer inline. I do find myself adjusting them.

Another option to the solid belt loop option could be what Vanson did on my older model E...two rivets holding the loop in place. That way you don’t loose the snaps. All of the loops on my E are inline and do not move out of alignment.

Or just get it done the way you want it to begin with, since you're going custom and paying all that money. Solid loops = no metal = no scrapes against painted bike tanks.

roadking04

Practically Family

Thanks J. I was actually thinking about that. I am not sure if I seen it somewhere before or not. You would think it would be a simple solution to misaligned loops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy