Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about ivy or newsboy brims

tracyam

One of the Regulars
Hello all,
What is sewn inside of the brim of an ivy, newsboy, or gatsby cap? I don't think it is plastic because it retains the shape you bend it to and i doubt it is cardboard...just curious.

HATCO

Vendor
tracyam said:
Hello all,
What is sewn inside of the brim of an ivy, newsboy, or gatsby cap? I don't think it is plastic because it retains the shape you bend it to and i doubt it is cardboard...just curious.

I cut a cap we have made in italy.. Looks and feels like bonded leather. Smells like it to..

tracyam

One of the Regulars
I found a short Hanna Hats video on youtube showing how the patchwork caps are made. They quickly show the inside of the bill before sewing it up and it looks a lot like plastic. I have a Hanna however and you bend it and it retains it shape.
Maybe it is bonded leather...what exactly is bonded leather? Would it hold a bend like that? I'm almost to the point where I'm going to donate a cap "to science" in order to figure this out.

HATCO

Vendor
tracyam said:
I found a short Hanna Hats video on youtube showing how the patchwork caps are made. They quickly show the inside of the bill before sewing it up and it looks a lot like plastic. I have a Hanna however and you bend it and it retains it shape.
Maybe it is bonded leather...what exactly is bonded leather? Would it hold a bend like that? I'm almost to the point where I'm going to donate a cap "to science" in order to figure this out.

Bonded leather are scraps of unused leather that are ground up and then mixed with an adhesive and pressed into sheets. Same idea as plywood except the grains are much finer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy