Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question: Age of vintage Stetson?

TomS

One Too Many
Hi Folks:

I have been reading some of the posts on dating a vintage Stetson by looking at the liner. I'm thinking my hat is probaly from the 1950s, but I'm pretty much clueless on the subject! I was wondering if one fo the experts might be able to suggest a more accurate age?

I appreciate the help, thanks!

B/R,
Tom
DSC_2454.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Even though I'm not an expert (far from it), I would say without hesitation that you are correct in your date. :)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
If it's American made, mid-fifties would not be far off. It looks like it might be Canadian, in which case all bets would be off.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
If it's American made, mid-fifties would not be far off. It looks like it might be Canadian, in which case all bets would be off.

+1.
foil tag = early 40s/older or Canadian and who knows how old (I think)

Artie

Suspended
Here's one that's definitely 50's (got the receipt). Probably earlier 50's. When did they transition over to this logo? When would a Royal Stetson have been priced 7.50?
stetsonlogo001.jpg

stetsonreciept.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:

Agreed - '50s Canadian. Features/liner look '50s, foil tag on a '50s hat means Canadian.

Artie

Suspended
Completely confused! That's why I posted mine, just to add to the confusion. A fractional size tag usually means earlier but the logo I think is mid-fifties at least and a price of 7.50 says I don't know what. I think there was a lot of overlap in the various logos and designs. Unfortunately no one in the hat business gave any consideration to all of us who would be trying to date these hats 60 or 70 years after they were made.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
Admittedly, these observations go beyond the hat asked about here. But I think they do support my opinion that Tom's original 50s estimate could be correct (even if it were not concluded by others on the basis of the foil size tag that the hat is 50s Canadian). ;)

Who is arguing the 50's date on Tom's hat?

Artie

Suspended
I think I screwed up by posting my hat because now people are confused as to which one were talking about. I only posted mine as a comparison because of the receipt I new it was a fifties hat, and to illustrate the unfortunate ambiguity of trying to put dates on hats. No arguments here.

Is there a dating of size tag styles of Stetsons in any of the numerous Dating a Stetson threads? I have 2 hats with the manilla Long Oval size tags that have Stetson across the top, fractional size then Long Oval across the bottom. I have another with Long arced across the top, fractional size & Oval arced across the bottom. Which is older format?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nope. That's pretty well established. Dinerman has posted a number of examples, and I'm sure that if/when we see the rest of the sweat, it will either show a Canadian retailer or aquanized - which was only on the Canadian Stetsons.

old, u.s. stetson foil tag

Dinerman said:
The sweatband might have the "aquanized" logo on it, something only found on canadian models. The reorder tags on canadian models are different, and the size tag, if still present would be gold foil instead of manila cardstock.

Dinerman said:
The Aquashed one I posted is Canadian. They have the same liners and logos as American ones, though they feature some different markings, like Aquashed, or "Made in Canada". The reorder tags are different, and the size tags, though the same shape and design, are gold foil instead of manila cardstock. I believe that the older style liners were used longer on the Canadian models.

And then, even with the same models, there are differences. Ex: I've seen a canadian made stratoliner with a ventilated sweatband. Small things like that.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
I don't doubt your assertion. My point was another entirely and had nothing to do with Canadian hats. ;)

But you're comparing the features of US manufactured Stetsons against one that is almost certainly Canadian in reaching your conclusions.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Stetson in the USA was still using oil silk as late as 1952, I own one. Tom's hat is Canadian, that's why I said all bets were off.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
I don't know. What I do know is that SOME banner logo Stetsons WITHOUT the plastic logo did continue to appear into the 50s. :)

Unless you had physical control of the hat since it's mfg., you would not know what the liner had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy