Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for Lounge Music Experts

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Does anyone you know the title of the lounge-sounding tune used (the main melody is heard from 0:34-0:44) in this Midnight in Paris TV spot promo? I've heard in tracked in numerous commercials and shows over the years but have never been able to determine the song's title. The video has "Young Again" written on the intro, but I've been unable to find any song with that title.

davidraphael

Practically Family
It seems familiar. It sounds like library music to me. I have a few examples of such LPs and CDs and if it is library music, it could be quite hard to track down because library music pieces often don't have proper titles. For example, the CD might be called simply 'industrial 07' and the track 'motion IV'.
All I can say is that it sounds like it was written in the 1st half of the 70s.
But there are experts out there who know this area inside and out. Just google 60s/70s library music and you'll find a vast murky underground with lots of samples and downloads and collectors willing to lend a hand. There's nothing they love more than tracking down stuff like this.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I share the view that it's a library track. As often as I've heard the piece, it must be inexpensive to license. The first time I heard it was on a Turner Classic Movies promo for that channel's program guide about ten years ago. If it appears on a TV commerical anytime soon, it's fairly easy to search for the track's title. Until then, it's thanks for your reply...

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Does anyone you know the title of the lounge-sounding tune used (the main melody is heard from 0:34-0:44) in this Midnight in Paris TV spot promo? I've heard in tracked in numerous commercials and shows over the years but have never been able to determine the song's title. The video has "Young Again" written on the intro, but I've been unable to find any song with that title.

Sounds to me like one of Quincy Jones' 1960s / '70s recordings, or a copycat version.

Remember a movie from about 10 years or so back, Austin Powers... the theme song from that movie was a Quincy Jones recording from that period, originally titled "Soul Bossa Nova":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ALPzS0QfQ

Check out Quincy Jones' stuff... maybe the track you like might even be another track on that vintage Jones album.

- CH

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Sounds to me like one of Quincy Jones' 1960s / '70s recordings, or a copycat version.

Remember a movie from about 10 years or so back, Austin Powers... the theme song from that movie was a Quincy Jones recording from that period, originally titled "Soul Bossa Nova":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ALPzS0QfQ

Check out Quincy Jones' stuff... maybe the track you like might even be another track on that vintage Jones album.

- CH

Q's stuff is a bit "heavy" compared to the tune I'm looking for, but yes I do remember Soul Bossa Nova becoming popular through the Austin Powers franchise. A movie series that could've been great had it avoided the coarseness and emphasized more of its Swinging Sixties "mojo", but that's another thread on another board, I guess.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Nathan,
The melody in that portion is a stylized version of "I Love Paris" done in a Latin sounding style with doubled (?) flutes. Maybe you can Youtube search some alternate versions of that tune. Needle in a Haystack of course.... Or, it could also have been commissioned for the movie. Is the soundtrack to the movie available? Or bide your time and wait for it of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner