Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question: Lost meaning of "Rika Jika Jack"

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
We all know how the uninitiated who watch 30s-40s movies / listen to song lyrics for the first time / etc may completely "miss the meaning" because the culture, language & slang of the era gets lost over time.

Washing / digitizing another batch of 78s, ran across a probably mid-40s Stan Kenton tune with June Christy vocal, "Rika Jika Jack". LOVE her voice, and the tune is really cool and swingin'... but when I play it, friends'll ask me "what the heck is that lyric about?" All I can say is "I have no idea what it means or even what it stands for, it just sounds cool..." and I _hate_ it when people say that! so I'd rather not put it in circulation in the car MP3s less I can get some clue...

temp_kenton.jpg
temp_christy.jpg

So, folks, asking your help to figure the lost meaning of "Rika Jika Jack": What the Heck is it? A hepster's love song? Ode to a food processor? A plea for mercy to invading Martians?

Here's the MP3 of the lyric: (sounds rough since it hasnt been filtered / de-clicked / EQ'd): (0.5 meg)
(Note: if it stutters playing over the web, you may need to Right-Click and "save as" to your local drive then double-click the file to play it from your PC)
http://www.eternalgoods.com/temp_kenton.mp3

Here's the only line I can get from the lyric:
The eskimos had so much fun, Making love in the midnight sun

already did websearches: Yes, Google claims there are sites with the lyric, but none of them actually have it. Its a popular song but can't find any help online

Maybe "Rika Jika Jack" was a slang term that had some meaning? ideas?

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Next Line

The next line is "They chew fat instead of gum. You should hear them (yum?)"

My only guess is that the lyric is a corruption of Reykjavik...

Fu Manchu

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Thanks, here's what I got from that:

Like you mentioned, the capitol of Iceland is Reykjavik, pronounced "Rika-Vik", possibly jived to "Rika-Jika".

Greenland is right next to Iceland.

The Inuit (Eskimos) live in several far-north regions including Greenland. The region is often called the Land of the "Midnight Sun" because at a certain point of the year the sun can be seen for twenty-four hours. Iceland & Reykjavik also experience the "Midnight Sun".

The native Eskimo language, Inuktitut, generally has a "Rika-Jika" sound: (heres a short phrase)
http://www.schoolnet.ca/aboriginal/audiosam/inuktit/wav/inuk11.wav

Still don't "get it"... guess it'll just be one of those dumb little things that bugs me now and then

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn