Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question: Tipping in Restaurants, for Services, ??

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tipping is customary, and should be applied to match the level of service you've received. It is not required, and is certainly not an entitlement.

The difference between me buying pork cutlets over a chicken pasta may be a matter of $15 on the bill, but what's the difference to the waiter? It's the same number of plates, so what am I tipping for? Because the waiter brought me a plate of food? Because they refilled my drink? That's fine, and I tip for that. But if the food comes out cold and bland, and I don't have an extra 30min to have them run the food back, I'm sorry but I may just leave less tip.

Since when did we start excusing the fact that folks need to think for themselves? If you're a waiter and your cooks are incompetent bafoons, it's rough that you'll be getting less tips, but you may need to work harder or find a better job. If your manager is a fool, quit. Save yourself the grief.

Cops get shot at ever day, but do we pay them $100k/yr? Instead, we rationlize it as, "They chose to be cops, and that's part of the job." Likewise, if you're a waiter that gets stiffed, that's part of the job.:eusa_booh

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
rumblefish said:
As the night wore on it was obvious that these two dummies weren't going to buy back a drink for anyone-(Remember- not one buy back)

Although I've been around the world I must admit that I've not spent much time in bars in large cities and have never heard of this. It sounds like you're talking about a round on the house as being somewhat expected. Is that customary? Please clarify.

Thanks,
Tom

rumblefish

One Too Many
Tango Yankee said:
Although I've been around the world I must admit that I've not spent much time in bars in large cities and have never heard of this. It sounds like you're talking about a round on the house as being somewhat expected. Is that customary? Please clarify.

Thanks,
Tom

Sure Tom,
Yes a round on the house.
Now some places have rules against that, and I do understand bartenders not looking to get into any trouble. But; 1- We've spent a good part of an evening in that bar, water should be free- in any form. 2- If there is a no "buy-back" policy it should apply for everyone. 3- If you (a bartender) don't buy a round on the house for potentially big tippers, THEN have the nerve to offer two people free drinks the moment they walk in, in front of those potential tippers (I don't care if it's your mother and your girlfriend)[bad] shame shame. Where I come from, as that heap of money grows, it becomes understood it's left there for the service. It's always counted to make sure it's generous. If it's not, everyone kicks in to make sure it is. Bartenders easily make 30% to 40% + in the places I frequent. The Big Point- They are doing this for a living perhaps, have enough brains to know where your bread is buttered, and resist the urge to impress a couple of girls at the risk of insulting your paying patrons. Unless that's more important;) :p

This system really works in their favor. Here's how:
You and a friend go to a bar, planning to meet more people there. You two are the first ones there, and you both throw a few tens and twenties up on the bar to cover the next few rounds. More of your friends arrive. You say, "What'll have?" barkeep serves and takes from the pile. Before long your friends just getting in are throwing money up on the bar to makes sure their drinks are covered too. No one is counting, ever. People exit and leave what they put up to cover the night. Rarely does anyone pick through to put some back in their pocket. I've seen hundreds go to a bartender at the end of a night from groups spending about the same for the liquor.
Seems stupid to blow this, just to say, "Hey girls, dig me!":rolleyes:

Undertow

rumblefish said:
This system really works in their favor. Here's how:
You and a friend go to a bar, planning to meet more people there. You two are the first ones there, and you both throw a few tens and twenties up on the bar to cover the next few rounds. More of your friends arrive. You say, "What'll have?" barkeep serves and takes from the pile. Before long your friends just getting in are throwing money up on the bar to makes sure their drinks are covered too. No one is counting, ever. People exit and leave what they put up to cover the night. Rarely does anyone pick through to put some back in their pocket. I've seen hundreds go to a bartender at the end of a night from groups spending about the same for the liquor.
Seems stupid to blow this, just to say, "Hey girls, dig me!":rolleyes:

I think this is a pretty cool idea. Unfortunately, I don't know that it would work in a dump like Iowa. We have 2 types of bars here:

1. frat-guy-drink-till-you-fall-over and/or meet-some-chick; places where fights are regularly moved to the parking lot so staffers aren't bothered, where music is so loud you can't hear anyone and resort to fighting in order to communicate, and drinks are $10 a pop which typically results in more fighting. I think the money would be stolen long before your drinks were "paid for".

2. The watering hole; a place that feels, and smells, lived in. If you haven't spent nearly 10 years on a stool up front, and your mom hasn't recently been picked up for OWI after recently contributing to the bar potluck AND you're name isn't either Gene or Gary, you'd better turn around and GET OUT. A bartender (usually the owner's brother - or the owner - whose name is usually Rusty, Dusty, or, lovingly, Musty) is going to look at your pile of money, take it, then load his shotgun in front of you and say, "Leave," real slow and with a drawl.

Beaubeau

New in Town
I always tip excessively. I'm not like Frank Sinatra, who started tipping at $100, but I figure if I want good service, I will have to pay for it.

The motto of me in service situations is: Keep out of the way of the person doing their job as much as possible, be excessively polite always and treat the person doing their job with the level of respect that doing a job deserves, and give them money so they remember me for next time.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I've never heard of this pile money on the table plan. Seems contrary to getting good service, because the bartender does not know if he will get tipped.

If you want good service from a bartender, it is important to tip them well with the first round.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
"Waitperson?" Lived all my life in L.A. and have never heard that neutered term.

Sorry about that Widebrim. My manager there was rather "insistant" on us using that term when doing the schedule and its sunk in... She had a BA from Cornell and was so PC it hurt... So I've a legacy of restuarant Newspeak stuck in my brain... ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Richard Warren said:
If you want good service from a bartender, it is important to tip them well with the first round.
So, you settle up after the first round even when you intend to stay for several more rounds? Interesting.

Undertow

Richard Warren said:
I've never heard of this pile money on the table plan. Seems contrary to getting good service, because the bartender does not know if he will get tipped.

I think it would depend on the bartender. This approach would likely work better on an honest bartender because they would see you've put your money where your mouth is, up front.

A dishonest one, as in Rumblefish's story, would do just the opposite.

Undertow

Puzzicato said:
A lot of places here give a discount for takeaway. So if they give a 15% discount I normally give a 15% tip...

That would make sense, I think. I don't know that I would always tip, but if it were a place I regularly purchased take out from, or if they had good service I could see it.

Man...I wish they gave discounts around here! :eek:

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
So, you settle up after the first round even when you intend to stay for several more rounds? Interesting.

Precisely, particularly where I not known. Its one instance in which tipping can really insure prompt (and friendly) service.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
US rules seem to rule the entire world of tipping... in this thread. USA ce n'est pas le monde.

Here in the UK, sometimes we tip and other times we don't. There's no accepted rule. Tipping is most often practiced, among those in my (low-ish) income bracket, in restaurants. Mostly never in pubs and bars, aside from offering the person at the bar a drink (meaning either a drink or the price of a drink). I've no idea what the relatively wealthy do, as I don't know anyone with any real money.

You US people should try it, it's very liberating ditching preconceptions and going with the local flow. :p

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Creeping Past said:
You US people should try it, it's very liberating ditching preconceptions and going with the local flow. :p

I did when I lived in England. :p

(Been back stateside 8 years, and I still miss the UK. :( )

Cheers,
Tom

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Glad to hear it!

I've noticed Americans offering tips to English pub staff, who look by turns flattered, amused, sheepish and occasionally even a little bit worried by the prospect of free money. ;)

In some places it's considered ostentatious to tip. Strange, but true.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Creeping Past said:
I've noticed Americans offering tips to English pub staff
And I've noticed Brits not offering tips to American pub staff. [huh]

Which is more egregious?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo