Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Peacoat

Bartender
US Navy peacoats typically have the sailor's last name and two initials. Underneath the name would be a seven digit service number: xxx-xx-xx. That is the modern way of doing it. Who knows what was done back when your coat was in service? A nice find.

nodope0695

New in Town
Okay, I've read through this entire thread, and I've learned some valuable stuff...My GI Navy peacoat is dark blue wool kersey, tan cordoroy lined pockets, distinctive double stitching on the cuffs, and has six buttons on the front. It is perfect condition with the exception of some loose stitching on the lining just above rear slit.

But the tag is a mystery to me. It is whitish, just below the inside right pocket. There are no other tags in the coat. Here's exactly how it looks on the tag:

COAT, MAN'S, WOOL KERSEY
DARK BLUE, E/M
DSA-1-4824
SIZE 36 R
100% WOOL DRY CLEAN ONLY​

There is also a handwritten 66 and what looks like a name on the right side of the tag, in blue ink (inspector's mark?).

All of that info matches what I've read here on the forum, EXCEPT the DSA number. It looks similar to the '66 vintage, but it's a little different. And, what does the "E/M" stand for?

Any info is greatly appreciated. By the way, my awesome peacoat only cost me $25 on ebay!!!;) :eusa_clap

EDIT: Oh by the way, I'm in the Navy, and also have current version peacoat...its not near as warm as my vintage coat...the modern version looks cheaper, wears out quicker, and I don't think it fits as well either. So, I'm wearing my old vintage peacoat with my uniform tonight...even though its probably not regulation. :)

nodope0695

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
Here's the strangest WWII-era peacoat I've ever come across. The cloth is very fuzzy, sort of like steel wool. I've never seen anything like it.

Spoon253.jpg
Spoon257.jpg

Spoon261.jpg

IMG_1584_edited-1.jpg

That stencil, USNTC, stands for U.S. Naval Training Center, aka BOOT CAMP. It seems to be numbered, and was perhaps issued to sailors while stationed there...perhaps the different color is for the purpose of distinguishing it from issued coats that the sailors would take with them. It almost looks like it was made out of the same kind of material used to make wool blankets. I'd say you have a SUPER rare item there.

Beyer160

New in Town
Recently I decided to try and find a replacement for the surplus Peacoat I wore through college in the early '90s and essentially wore out. The ones I found at the local surplus store paled in comparison to mine, so I turned to the internet and wound up here...

I just wanted to express my thanks to Peacoat, Wetmarble, and everyone else who has shared their information and knowledge here. It turns out my old coat was a WWII era 8 button, thus explaining the differences in the wool. Based on that and the other info gained here, I won a 1972 coat on ebay last night- I can't wait for it to arrive!

Thanks again to all who have participated in this thread so far- you answered all my questions, as well as some I didn't even know to ask.

Peacoat

Bartender
As you learned from reading here, the 1972 model is the "good" wool. I wore my 1973 model today as the temps are finally getting down to "peacoat" weather--highs in the 30's today. Glad you found us and that we could be of service to you.

Asudef

New in Town
I would just like to update and thank all the people that've contributed to this informative thread.

I've finally got myself what I wanted, an 8 button peacoat w/chin strap from ebay for $38 shipped and surprised the condition is very good although it probably wasn't treated very well and wrinkled but not worn. The coat definitely needs a good cleaning and refresh which is sort of what led me back here, it's a shame since it's gotten really cold this past week from the rainy weather and perfect time to put this to use.

Am I correct in assuming it's a period correct WWII issue?

This is a picture of the label from the auction, I'll try to add more later.
img_9140.jpg

The only problem now is I want a 6 button as they do look a bit classier to me.
Also, how do you cold weather natives do to keep your bottom half warm?

Peacoat

Bartender
That tag, or one similar, was used during and after the war, up until the 50's. If you have the eight button (showing) coat, then it is a WWII peacoat. They changed to the six button (showing) style shortly after the war.

For the bottom half, I wear polypropelene under my trousers or jeans. Works pretty well unless the wind is really blowing.

Asudef

New in Town
Thank you, it is in ok condition after being cleaned I noticed some small places need repair and there are moth holes but otherwise it's a lovely coat save for the old storage smell.

The coat seems to fit me pretty well, shoulder seams end right at my shoulder and cuff length is just right.

The only thing that I'm wondering about the fit is when I cross my arms it gets tight yet it's measured as a 42 (22*2-2) and I still have about 6" slack inside the coat. Is this normally how they fit or do you notice the cuts change year to year?

I don't know whether to size up or down for my 6 button coat. I just missed one on ebay w/ green corduroy that went for under $20! Doh!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This Thread

Is amazing.

I wore my quite inexpensive modern peacoat yesterday as the temps here dropped to single digits. Even as a cheap new version, it kept me warm. This thread will make me get serious about finding the real thing.

Peacoat, thank you for your generosity in sharing what you know.

Peacoat

Bartender
Scotrace: You are certainly welcome. I am glad to be of help. It was down to 10 above here in Middle Tennessee this morning, so I added a sweater under the peacoat. Glad I did. Still got a bit chilled though. Would have been fine with a polypropylene undershirt and a heavier shirt under the sweater. Thirty years ago in NYC a turtleneck and a peacoat would have been all I needed on most night time outings in the City.

Asudef: I tried on a few of my peacoats so I could answer this for you. My WWII coat is the most closely fitted peacoat I have. I am a 42, as is the coat, and there is no room for a heavy sweater under it. A thin sweater might fit. I tried on a '68 and '72 Pembroke. Both of them had plenty of room for a heavy sweater as did the 1965 US NAVY tag peacoat. All are size 42 coats. I tried crossing my arms as you mentioned. The WWII coat was tight at the shoulders, but the other three were not. Maybe this is of some help.

Asudef

New in Town
That helps, I really like the cut of the coat, despite the heavy wool it looks surprisingly classy and slimming when worn.

Thanks Peacoat, you've been extremely helpful in my quest for the right coat.
It's too bad that website never got set up because there is some very good information throughout this thread that needs to be archived in some way.

Peacoat

Bartender
I'm still thinking about putting it all together. Got sidetracked when it got warm in April. I had put about 1/2 of it in Word, and now I see that many of the links to photographs I had set up to go with the text have failed. Will need to go a different route than a standard permanent thread here (with a sticky), which is what I had been discussing with MK and Paddy. Probably will do an off site website that links from this board, but I will have to figure out how to set up a website and then clear it with MK and the moderators to link there from here.

budrichard

Familiar Face
This Thread is great and has been a big help to me! Thanks.
My wife wanted a Pea Coat for Xmas and I did my research and was about to settle on Sterlingwear when I decided to look on eBay and low and behold there just happened to be this coat listed http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=200283078321
Now I know zip about Pea coats except my father Lt JG US Navy WW2 and son both served and I guess had Pea Coats. Anyway with Buy It Now the shipping was free and with a small discount from Live.com I purchased the coat. After recieving the coat, I found it unused and a Mil tag in the inside pocket that read Women's Enlisted and a manufacture date of 1990 which i learned from this thread. My son said that those were Officer's buttons on the coat. Anyway, Xmas morning and my wife loves the coat!
So i wanted to do three things, one thank the Posters for thier help, show the coat and ask how do Officer's buttons get on a coat marked Enlisted Women's?-Dick
PeaCoat2.jpg

PeaCoat3.jpg

PeaCoat1.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Good question. Officers don't wear peacoats. Neither do Chief Petty Officers. They wear what is called a bridgecoat. It is a longer version of the peacoat, and the material is not as heavy as a peacoat. They do, however, have the gold buttons that you pictured here. Perhaps the gold buttons were added after the coat left the military?

Interestingly, in the photographs, the coat does have a blue tint to it, and the modern issue, since about 1980, are black. If you get a chance, please take the coat into the bright sunlight and place it next to a known black object. If it is blue, it will be obvious when compared to something that is black. I would be interested in knowing if the true color is actually a dark blue.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Lucky pea coat find

Hi everyone,

I must be having a run of luck lately. As well as picking up a stunner of an Irvin, I recently found a WW11 era peacoat in a shop called Rokit near Spitalfields Market in London.

It is a 10-button with the linen Naval Factory label and named to a rating called Jensen. The coat is moth free and the only damage is the inner sleeve lining has come away from the underarm and there is a small hole in the lining underneath the inner pocket. The under collar neck strap is missing but I have a spare anyway. Big size 44-46.

In 25 years I have only seen 2 this size and bought both. They are pretty rare in the UK. Maybe they are more plentiful in the US but condition and size is always a problem. Sorry I cannot post pics at the moment.

Rokit have their sale on at the moment and if you look carefully they have some old military stuff at great prices.

The best thing of all .... it cost me the princely sum of: £9.99!!!!!:p

Peacoat

Bartender
A rare find, especially for a WWII at that price. I looked for two years for a size 48-50 post war for a friend of mine. Finally gave up. Is yours a British Navy coat or US Navy? I assume the Brits still issue peacoats to their sailors?

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
A rare find, especially for a WWII at that price. I looked for two years for a size 48-50 post war for a friend of mine. Finally gave up. Is yours a British Navy coat or US Navy? I assume the Brits still issue peacoats to their sailors?

It is US Navy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner