Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Slobo

New in Town
Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find it here. I've seen on a number of WW2 vintage, 10-button peacoats with the anchor buttons facing every which way. What was the proper orientation of the anchor (at least in spec) when new from the contractor? Straight up and down? canted 45 degrees clockwise? Was it common for buttons t be applied willy-nilly or is this explained more by re-sewn buttons that had fallen off?

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge, Slobo. I checked my WWII peacoat as that is what you asked about. The buttons on that coat are straight up and down and have the original sewing job. I also checked one of my post war pea coats, and the buttons on that coat has the same orientation. So, I think when you see buttons attached in different directions, it is due to them being reattached by the sailor.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
It is so fun to have something that old in that great of shape. It really is like wearing a piece of history. Really a neat thing.

Last year I was very lucky enough to find a WWII on ebay in my size which is 46. WWII coats in this size are very rare. The condition of the coat was also MINT. The buttons and button holes were still a little tight. That's how little wear it had. I love WWII coats, but I think I like the post war years better. I also bought a size 40 which was a 1949. I bought it for my wife but it wound up not fitting all that great. I then resold it on ebay to I'm sure a very happy customer. The condition of that 1949 coat was absolute excellent. I couldn't believe how heavy that 1949 coat weighed. The Kersey wool on it also appeared to be either thicker, and or heaver then other older coats that I had from the '50s -'60s. 1949 is definitely an outrageous, beautiful year for US Navy pea coats. You really found a gem. I wish I could find a 1949 in size 46 in mint-excellent condition but finding something like that could take a long time. In your size you could find a closet full and they would not cost all that much as compared to the larger sized coats (44-46). Size 48 in an older Kersey coat is an even more rare beast to find.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, it is a good starter coat that will keep you warm and give 100 years or so of service, if properly cared for. Congratulations on joining the Peacoat Nation.

glazer1972

New in Town
Demonstrating the fit of my new to me 1970 46R Pembroke Kersey Wool U.S. Navy Peacoat. Had a seamstress resew all 7 buttons, the left underside of the collar and the bottom part of the liner above the vent. Then had it dry cleaned. My sizes are 46x36. I am 6'1" 220#s. Pant size is 36x34.

Thanks to Peacoat for the many emails back and forth helping me to ask the right questions and bidding advice.

IMAG0449.jpg

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Familiar Face
It was a nice day, and I took pictures of my "collection" :D of two pea coats.

Current issue, Sterlingwear Military-Spec (100% wool)

350x183px-LL-e64c3e8c_a1.jpeg

Vintage, 1949, US Navy issue.

350x238px-LL-1a9ddd0d_a3.jpeg

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Nice pea coats, but we normally use trees as backdrops on this forum. A Michigan car just doesn't have the same panache.

How did you find that link to the history of the peacoat by Sterlingwear? I haven't been able to find it on their website.

libra1369

New in Town
Mr.Peacot can you date my peacoat

Hello everyone I've been read all about peacoat. These to Mr peacoat and Mr wetmarble. Can you please date and tell me if it's a great coat. I bought this peacoat for $8.00at a secnd hand store. It's color black or dark navy blue.

Label : it is rectangular letters are black and white the background is white.
Contract Number : DLA100-78-C-1069 8405-00-320-1627
Buttons Type : Pewter buttons. I'm looking for 6 buttons
Buttons Configuration : 6 buttons 3 on the left and three on the right
Stitches : black stitch
Miscellaneous : pocket lining are white canvas, heavy satin lining, change pocket on the left and a pocket on the right.

P.S. Is possible to put corduroy in the pocket to be more warmer

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Bartender note: Above post moved here where Peacoat is more likely to see it. (I know he keeps a close eye on this tread). Welcome to The Fedora Lounge, Libra1369.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks Scott.

It is a 1978 peacoat. It was issued with the pewter buttons. The Navy went with that type of button for a few years, starting in 1974. All coats, even though not initially issued with pewter buttons, were required to have the standard black plastic 1 1/4" buttons replaced with the 1" pewter buttons by 1975 or 1976. In 1984 the pewter buttons were ended, and the Navy returned to the 1 1/4" black plastic button.

For more about these vintage coats, see http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

And welcome to the Lounge.

Mr. Peacoat.

Peacoat

Bartender
A 1966 peacoat with a double line of stitching about 3" above the cuff and corduroy lined pockets.

It was either a Chief's coat or an officer's coat. I think I saw the loops on the shoulders for the officer rank boards, in which case it would have been called a reefer.

The standard black buttons are usually available on eBay at reasonable prices. It is tedious to change the buttons yourself. A seamstress doesn't charge very much, and with 6 of them to change, that is the way I would go.

comp_wiz101

New in Town
Hello Mr. Peacoat,
I'm a big fan of your work to accurately date and categorize the various pea coats of the US military.

I had a department store brand of pea coat and I couldn't stand it any longer. After careful study of your "PEACOAT DATING" thread, I ended up finding a US Coast Guard jacket. I think it dates to WWII, if the same indicators are to be followed as the US Navy.
It is approximately a 42R, and is made of a soft, almost felt-like wool. The cut is nice, a lot less "boxy" than its cheap civilian cousin.
The pockets are corduroy, a single line of stitching 3" above the sleeve, 8 buttons showing and a chin strap. Buttons appear to be original, bakelite-like finish w/original stitching.

Here are some pictures (I guess I'll have to follow up with one of me in front of a tree soon :) ):
IMGP7333.jpg

IMGP7332.jpg

IMGP7331.jpg

IMGP7330.jpg

IMGP7329.jpg

I was wondering: Is it okay to wear this coat on a daily basis? I'm not about to crawl under a car wearing it or anything, but I just thought I would get your perspective on it.

clarinetplayer

Familiar Face
Nice pea coats, but we normally use trees as backdrops on this forum. A Michigan car just doesn't have the same panache.

How did you find that link to the history of the peacoat by Sterlingwear? I haven't been able to find it on their website.

Regarding the link to the Sterlingwear history of the peacoat, I found it while searching for something else. It is from a written by someone at Sterlingwear

The tree backdrop versus the Michigan car--very funny! :)

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge, Mr. Wizard, and thank you for the compliment.

The Coast Guard peacoat is the same as the Navy peacoat. That is a fine specimen you have.

Any garment will show wear with enough use, but it is safe to wear your coat on a daily basis. Eventually you will wear bare spots on the elbows and the collar, but that will be a long time in the future. What is more important is to take care of the coat on a daily basis by hanging, storing and cleaning it properly.

For storage I use a wide, really wide, wooden hanger. It will be 2" to 3" wide at the shoulder ends. These are hard to find and expensive when they are found. I received an email from a poster on another forum a while back saying he had seen some at Walmart at a reasonable price. I forget the exact price, but it was about $7.00. I just did a quick search online and didn't find what he described. May be in store purchase only. My peacoat go on the hangers; my leather jackets go on the closet floor--adds strength and character to inherently inferior jackets.

The peacoat should be cleaned once a year before storage. This is to get any particles out of the fabric that moths might like to feast on. For day to day cleaning, I use one way brushes; they work the best for me. I brush the coat each morning before I wear it, and again before I put it in the closet at night. A quick brushing only takes about 10 seconds.

Don't eat anything while wearing your peacoat. Food particles will get in the wool and moths will be attracted to it. If for some reason you do, then brush it thoroughly as soon as you get home. I have a small pocket brush I carry in the pocket of most of my pea coats for use while away from home.

Now this is important. Get a moth protector for the closet in which you hang your peacoat, and change it every ninety days. If you don't, the coat will be damaged by moths. I use Hot Shot plastic strips, sometimes hard to find locally, but they are available at Amazon. They have no odor and work well. I have the plastic strips in five of my closets and change every 90 days. Instructions say up to 4 months, but my pea coats are worth enough to me that I change more frequently. This is important also: Get a Magic Marker and mark the date 90 days from when you open the package. This date should be marked on the side of the plastic strip so it is easily seen when entering the closet.

See the link for Hot Shot at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shot-5580...K8AG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1323521614&sr=8-7

And here is the link for the brush that works well for pea coats:

http://www.amazon.com/Evercare-Lint-Brush-Magik/dp/B000QRFNGS/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_text_b

Follow these instructions and the vintage coats should last another 70 years (or more).

Dodo

Familiar Face
Thanks Peacoat, so a 1966 peacoat should be not so slim compared to '40 and '50 ones. I think it should fit me fine with my '38 chest, i asked the seller to send me measurements of the garment because i want to check if what I read in the lounge, especially your guidelines, are valid for that officer peacoat.
I found a lot of standard black buttons on ebay! that's good so i can change them with a low expense.

A 1966 peacoat with a double line of stitching about 3" above the cuff and corduroy lined pockets.

It was either a Chief's coat or an officer's coat. I think I saw the loops on the shoulders for the officer rank boards, in which case it would have been called a reefer.

The standard black buttons are usually available on eBay at reasonable prices. It is tedious to change the buttons yourself. A seamstress doesn't charge very much, and with 6 of them to change, that is the way I would go.

comp_wiz101

New in Town
Thank you for the great advice, Mr. Peacoat.
I've had the coat drycleaned, and have been using one of those one-way brushes - nice to know those are a good choice.

I did have one additional question:
My closet is an open construction (no doors) - how would you recommend I store the coat? Would a garment bag with moth repellent inside be prefereable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy