Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello DescuernaCabras,
If you're interested, i'm selling on Ebay.es a civilian version of the Sterlingwear "military" Peacoat in size 42 R, they named it "Authentic or M21".
The difference with the military version is the wool blend (80 % Wool / 20 % Nylon) instead of 100 % wool but
it's a still a quite warm peacoat.
Cheers,
F68

DescuernaCabras

New in Town
Hello DescuernaCabras,
If you're interested, i'm selling on Ebay.es a civilian version of the Sterlingwear "military" Peacoat in size 42 R, they named it "Authentic or M21".
The difference with the military version is the wool blend (80 % Wool / 20 % Nylon) instead of 100 % wool but
it's a still a quite warm peacoat.
Cheers,
F68
Thanks for your offer, but it's too big and I'm looking for a true military item.
Regards.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks again Mr. Peacoat for your useful information and sorry for my poor English. We haven't the coldest winter here in Spain, but I am the proud owner of a WWII peacoat in mint condition and love to wear a stylish piece of History. I prefer the Kersey wool, but I'm looking for a Melton one for my cousin, who wants a black one.
Kind regards.

Sterlingwear is the current contractor for the Navy. On their website they only list the civilian models they sell, but they have the Mil Spec model available for special order. It is the one the company makes for the Navy. Price is $350 and it has the Melton shell. It is 98% black, but supposedly has just a tint of blue in it if one looks hard enough. I have had two of them, and could never find any blue at all. So it ought to be close enough to black for your cousin.

Subsailor

New in Town
Hey All! I am a huge peacoat afficianado (since I was issued my first one in boot camp in early 1970) and have been reading this thread for a long time (shamefully taking advantage of the information without registering). I finally joined and want to thank everyone for the all the useful info - it helped me locate a suitable replacement for my 38L kersey coat that I was originally issued. Unfortunately, I am now a 42 (sorta Long) so the old standby no longer fits. It is now keeping one of my nieces warm and toasty. Meanwhile, I have a 1986 version in 42L (nice coat, but not like the old kersey models) and recently scored a (I think 1967) in size 42.

So, here is the reason for my posting - the 1986 42L is the longest Long that I have ever seen. It measures 37" in overall length, (so, more like an Extra Long) and hangs halfway to the knees (rather than just below the rear end). Otherwise, the other measurements are consistent with a typical 42L. The coat is clearly marked 42L. I am 6-3 and 190, so it looks pretty good on me. Anyone run across the extra length before? I would have expected a 35" overall length, based on my old issue coat.

The new (old) coat has the following label:

COAT, MAN'S, WOOL, KERSEY
DSA-100-3889
100% WOOL
F.S.N. 8405-268-8616
SIZE 42

Don't know yet about the pockets - have not received the coat yet.

Am I right about the 66 or 67 vintage??

Thanks!

Subsailor

New in Town
Hey All! I am a huge peacoat afficianado (since I was issued my first one in boot camp in early 1970) and have been reading this thread for a long time (shamefully taking advantage of the information without registering). I finally joined and want to thank everyone for the all the useful info - it helped me locate a suitable replacement for my 38L kersey coat that I was originally issued. Unfortunately, I am now a 42 (sorta Long) so the old standby no longer fits. It is now keeping one of my nieces warm and toasty. Meanwhile, I have a 1986 version in 42L (nice coat, but not like the old kersey models) and recently scored a (I think 1967) in size 42.

So, here is the reason for my posting - the 1986 42L is the longest Long that I have ever seen. It measures 37" in overall length, (so, more like an Extra Long) and hangs halfway to the knees (rather than just below the rear end). Otherwise, the other measurements are consistent with a typical 42L. The coat is clearly marked 42L. I am 6-3 and 190, so it looks pretty good on me. Anyone run across the extra length before? I would have expected a 35" overall length, based on my old issue coat.

The new (old) coat has the following label:

COAT, MAN'S, WOOL, KERSEY
DSA-100-3889
100% WOOL
F.S.N. 8405-268-8616
SIZE 42

Don't know yet about the pockets - have not received the coat yet.

Am I right about the 66 or 67 vintage??

Thanks!

Subsailor

New in Town
Thanks, PC! You are a wealth of knowledge, sir, and I appreciate you sharing it. I will let you know when I get a 'look see' at the pockets. The seller did not know too much about it and was asking a very modest price...so I did not want to pique their interest too much by asking too many questions.

BT
AR

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
From "Peacoats' Dating" sticky the tag looks like a '66. The pockets should be corduroy - more then likely the very common yellow color. I have two size 46L(Long), and one 46XL(Extra Long) coats. The lengths are as follows :

2002 46XL - 361/2
1969 46L - 36
1969 46L - 351/2

I make these measurements from the bottom of the collar seam at the back of the coat which are under the collar. Did you take the measurement from the top or bottom of the collar seam. If it was the top seam, that would add 1 more inch to the length of the coat thus giving you the 37" length. I'm also 6'-3" and 190, but don't think I could get into a 42. '66 should be a nice year. All Kersey coats are great though. 46 and 46R should have a length of 34". 42s might also be the same length.

Subsailor

New in Town
Yep - from bottom of seam it is 37" - the coat is a little long for me, but I have come to like the look - sort of a Doc Holiday 'day coat' length.

The '66 size 42 is purported to have a 35" length (same datum as above), and 26" sleeves. We will verify upon receipt.

42 fits me perfectly, as I have a 40 inch chest - and I am probably closer to 6-2 these days due to 60 years of gravity exposure, and a lot of pounding the pavement as a runner.

BT
AR

Subsailor

New in Town
Coat arrived. Mint condition. Black corduroy pocket lining. Sleeve stitching: single stitch about 3/8 inch from cuff, and double stitch about 3 inches from cuff.

Excellent fit. I am a very happy old salt, as I finally have a suitable replacement for my old issue peacoat that no longer fits. BTW: As it turns out, my niece is returning my old 1969 vintage 38L because it does not fit her any longer (I guess she has put on a little weight) - it is still in 'as new' condition, as she lives in Albuquerque, and it did not see much use. So, I guess I have ended up with the beginnings of a 'collection' without having that as an objective. Could this be an 'affliction' of some sort?

Thanks, again, for you help and comments.

BT
AR

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, it will become an affliction. The next thing you need to do is to get all of the different labels. I would start with the 1966 label, as that was the only year it was issued, and you have two from the years after that. Then a coat with the US NAVY label. That will take you back to about 1955 (1955--1965), Then start on the early 50s. In a few years you will be ready to begin on the 1940 coats. And they all have to be the same size--the size you wear. May be a good idea to not let your wife know what you are doing. Good luck on your quest.

Cheers, PC.

Subsailor

New in Town
Ok - now I know the rules of the disease - thanks! It sounds like I have a lot of coat hunting to do. Meanwhile, 'Mz Boss' might be OK with it, if I sell off some of my leather motorcycle jackets.

BT
AR

David Minton

New in Town
Finally made it through this thread, along with Mr. Peacoat's dating thread. It was very interesting to watch the community learn the ins and outs of the peacoat over seven years.

While I won't call it an addiction, I have bought four peacoats and two bridgecoats over the last three months while trying to find the right size. I think I am going to limit myself to five by the time I'm done shopping:

1. 38R WWII Peacoat*
2. 38R Pre 1966 Peacoat*
3. 38R 1958 Reefer*
4. 40R 1966 Reefer (sized to fit over a sport Coat)
5. 41R 1943 Bridge Coat (sized to fit over a sport Coat)

*I'm still looking for #1 and #2. I bought #3, though need to sew the gold buttons on.

Peacoat

Bartender
Subsailor: Another rule is to never sell a good motorcycle jacket that fits. The peacoats have to be in addition to the MC jackets.

Spoon: You are doing better than me; I have a large closet full.

David Minton: First of all, welcome to the Lounge. Until you mentioned it, I didn't know this thread had been going on that long. Actually, it has been 7 1/2 years. Matt Deckard started it in August, 2005. I came along about 5 months later when it was a stale thread. The questions are much different today than they were before my dating guide made it to a sticky in January, 2009. Until then I had to answer the dating questions individually. Wet Marble, a member back then, had an interest and did some research as well. He disappeared in April, 2007 shortly after joining the forum in January, 2007.

You need to add to your acquisition list a WWII peacoat. They are getting harder to find, especially in size 42 and above, and are getting more expensive.

Cheers, Mr. Peacoat.

David Minton

New in Town
Bought another coat on ebay last night, and 1953 38R in what is claimed to be excellent condition. This one is costing me $81.00 shipped, the most I have paid so far. My first only cost me $30.00 a few months ago.

While I am lucky in that 38R seems a common size, what is the thought on a fair price for a pre 1966 coat these days? How about for WWII coats. The prices, as well as the bids are all over the place.

For those that buy on ebay, do you trust the measurements provided by sellers? They seem to be all over the place as well.

earl

A-List Customer
Just "received" a Navy peacoat from the 1968-1972 period. My wife's stepmother had died a few months back and in cleaning out her house, they discovered the peacoat that had belonged to my wife's brother who died nearly 30 years ago. Fits me. So now I own it. Am tempted to replace its navy colored plastic buttons with gold toned metal ones. Earl

Peacoat

Bartender
Bought another coat on ebay last night, and 1953 38R in what is claimed to be excellent condition. This one is costing me $81.00 shipped, the most I have paid so far. My first only cost me $30.00 a few months ago.

While I am lucky in that 38R seems a common size, what is the thought on a fair price for a pre 1966 coat these days? How about for WWII coats. The prices, as well as the bids are all over the place.

For those that buy on ebay, do you trust the measurements provided by sellers? They seem to be all over the place as well.

Most sellers know as little about measuring the p2p as they know about dating the peacoats they are selling. Go to the link below. Toward the end of the guide there is a section on sizing. In that section there are instructions on measuring the p2p. Copy and send to the seller. If followed, it will give a standard measurement, and even a monkey can do it.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Just "received" a Navy peacoat from the 1968-1972 period. My wife's stepmother had died a few months back and in cleaning out her house, they discovered the peacoat that had belonged to my wife's brother who died nearly 30 years ago. Fits me. So now I own it. Am tempted to replace its navy colored plastic buttons with gold toned metal ones. Earl

If you want the exact, well sorta the exact date, go to the link in my post above. It is also a sticky on the first page of the Outerwear section. For a good selection of buttons, see the link below:

http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/home.asp

earl

A-List Customer
If you want the exact, well sorta the exact date, go to the link in my post above. It is also a sticky on the first page of the Outerwear section. For a good selection of buttons, see the link below:

http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/home.asp
Thanks. No label inside. That supplier of buttons would certainly fit the bill if I want to swap out the buttons. Perhaps, I should leave them as original. Of course, the buttons on it now are of the contemporary style you posted. Earl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24