Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Peacoat

Bartender
I couldn't find enough consistency in the pictures of the labels I have to confirm or deny your hypothesis. My gut feeling is that it is correct. I did find another interesting label that I had forgotten about. Tomorrow I will try to figure out how to post a picture using photo bucket and put it on the board.

Peacoat

Bartender
Here is the tag I mentioned. Only one I have ever seen. The information with the jacket said a 1968 jacket, but I don't think so. It may have been left over from an earlier time, lost for a number of years, and then issued in 1968, but I just don't know.

To the poster (I believe it was Dakota) who asked why his PM feature wasn't activated, you must have 15 posts before this feature is active. Found that out by reading the FAQ section while getting directions for posting pictures.

Issuedin1968--Dontthinkso.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Dakota said:
From looking at the label, it has a date of 53 on it.
The date wasn't included in the contract number until 1967, as best as I can determine. Although that tag does have the numbers "53," I doubt that it has any relevance to the date. I could be wrong, though.

My best guess on that particular tag is that it came after the revised "Naval Clothing Factory" tag of the mid to late 50's and before the "US NAVY' tag and only lasted a year or so. Sort of like the 1966 tag which only lasted one year (shown below).

The tag posted by Marble is one of the earliest I have seen. No telling when that was in service. Not many still around who are able to give us the answer. Thanks for the pic.

1966.jpg

wetmarble

New in Town
Here's a label I've never seen before. It comes off a post war (6 button showing) coat.

10708b.jpg

It also supports my theory showing Name and Service No.

Peacoat

Bartender
Now you are really confusing me! I thought I had seen all of the post war labels, but not so. Now that you have posted this label, it's your burden to find the year! I know what years it isn't; I just don't know what years it is.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, that is a 1965 tag. That was the last year that particular tag was issued. Don't know when it was first used, however.

I have a coat with that tag that was issued to a buddy of mine in April, 1965. After he got out of the Navy in 1969, it hung in his closet for thirty six years until he gave it to me last year. Of them all, that is my favorite tag, and my favorite coat.

Dakota

New in Town
look at this one

Take a look at this ebay auction that ended yesterday. It was for a U.S. Coast Guard pea coat that looks identical to two WWII Navy pea coats I have. It has the 10 button front, corduroy lined pockets, and the chin strap.
ebay item # 270076734843. I was the high bidder for it.

Dakota

Peacoat

Bartender
It's WWII alright. Looks like a nice coat at a great price. I don't find them priced like that this time of the year. Must be the warm weather we all are having!

Dakota

New in Town
A WWII navy pea coat, identical to it, ended the day before it did and it sold for $60.00. I guess it just depends on who is watching the auctions and also like you said the warm weather may be playing a part in the low prices. I couldn't believe I got that Coast Guard pea coat for so little.

wetmarble

New in Town
I saw that coat and considered bidding on it. (Now I'm glad I didn't, I'd have hated to make a bidding war with you Dakota) Ultimately, I decided against bidding because it looked like a 40R and I think I need a 42R.

When the coat arrives, please post a picture of the label.

wetmarble

New in Town
Here's another 'Clothing Supply Office' Tag...
450army1.jpg

Front view of the coat:
450army.jpg

Note the double stitching on the sleeve. It has corduroy pockets. I'm guessing this is a late 50s coat.

Peacoat

Bartender
When I size a peacoat for the chest measurement, I get the measurement across the chest, with the coat on a flat surface , and directly under the armpits. I double that measurement and subtract two inches (for the inside material). For instance, a coat that measures 21" across the chest would be a size 40. That's the best way I have found to get a fairly accurate indication of the chest size.

KristaM

New in Town
This thread caught my eye while I was scouring the internet for replacement buttons. My bridge coat seems so much different than anything described so far. I found a tag on the inside with the original owner and the date 8-12-42. The tag also identifies the manufacturer as Julius Horowitt. The coat is definitely black - blacker than any article of clothing I could find. It is also fully lined in black satin and the lining is not removable. It also has two black braided embellishments about 3 inches above the sleeve cuffs. The buttons are a challenge. They have an eagle holding an anchor with 3 cannon balls below the anchor and 13 stars surrounding the image. The back of buttons have "Vanguard Corp. New York" stamped on the back. I have been able to find similar Waterbury and Superior buttons, but no Vanguard. I rescued this coat from my sister and it is missing the 2 buttons underneath the collar. I'm not sure if they were missing when she picked it up at the thrift store or if she lost them herself. I have searched online for these particular buttons to no avail. I was hoping someone on here might have an idea.

One more quick question - This coat has several tears in the lining, but all of them appear to be along the seam where the thread has just given up. I can't seem to find another coat with the same characteristics online and am trying to determine if it is worth repairing or if I should just get a new one? This is by far the warmest coat I have ever owned. It kept me warm through a couple Minnesota winters.

Peacoat

Bartender
I am a bit confused with your characterization of the coat as a "bridge coat." A bridge coat is longer than a peacoat and falls just below the knees. They are normally worn by officers and chiefs. Is this the type of coat you have?

A peacoat will fall just below the butt when properly fitted. On a female, it might be to mid thigh, but certainly not to the knees.

When you say "embellishments," are you describing two rows of stitching, or something more than simple stitching? If these are braids, not stitching, and if the color is truly black (see below), it could be that it is some type of ceremonial coat, and not the standard issue.*

The color you have described doesn't equate to what I know about the WWII coats. If you take your coat outside and compare it to a known black object, the coat should appear to be dark, dark blue.

I got out my bridge coat and looked at the buttons. They are identical to what you describe. I also looked at one of my peacoats (1980 model) with the pewter buttons. They are also identical to what you describe. This tells me that even though your coat is WWII, the buttons for it were still being used until recently, and I believe are still in production. They should be available on ebay every now and then. Do a general search for "buttons" and then narrow it based on what you find.

Have your coat repaired. It doesn't cost much and is simple to do. I had my WWII peacoat lining repaired, and it is like new.

Please let me know about the color and the length, so I will know what we are dealing with.

_____
*Officers' coats aren't actually "issued," but are purchased by the officer from an authorized source. Thus, the private labels in the officers' coats. For instance my dress blues are by Lautersteins in San Antonio, and my dress blue hat is by Ace Manufacturing, also in San Antonio. The labels in these items are civilian labels and not the standard military issue labels that we are so familiar with.

Dakota

New in Town
Where abouts was your lining damaged? How did the seamstress repair it? I have one that has what I consider to be minor damage - it has a small tear in it, thta I would like to get fixed.

Dakota

Have your coat repaired. It doesn't cost much and is simple to do. I had my WWII peacoat lining repaired, and it is like new.

_____

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot