Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Peacoat or anyone who can help! I need your advice on this issue. For awhile I have been looking for a portable closet to store my woolen good to keep extra safe. I came across this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30246468/#/30288953 holds up to 66lbs on the bar. On average how much does a WW2 peacoat weigh hanging up? Also, I noticed the closet is made out of polyester this is good because moths will never eat through it, however it doesn't breathe. The bottom is completely open but I was planning on covering up the bottom with a breathable cotton just to seal that off. My only problem is that do you think this closet will allow enough air circulation and not build up moisture? Darn polyester! I'm hoping since the entire bottom can breathe this should be enough but I need some more opinions..... I could store them in a real closet but I figure I could keep moths out for good with this closet.
P.S. the coats will be is garment bags that can breathe and any plastic on them is made of PEVA which is safe as well. https://www.amazon.com/Essex-Wares-...8&qid=1479526169&sr=8-43&keywords=garment+bag
Just to be curious I weighed my 1958 Kersey size 46. It 5 pounds even.

Peacoat

Bartender
If it is really cold, I like a knit watch cap in navy or dark grey. If not cold enough for a watch cap, I like my "ARMY"* low profile baseball cap. Most people just don't understand the juxtaposition of the two.

BTW, welcome to the Lounge.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I went to my nearest surplus store and they had these http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=8492&catid=1466. However, they were itchy on my head. Are these generally supposed to be so itchy?
I don't think they are supposed to be itchy. The 100% wool is the reason though. I bought one of those in navy a few years ago. Found it to be quite small. I never wore it but gave it to my son who also never wore it. It was however large enough for him. I wear either a knit cap or my full head cover up plus neck cover in real cold windy days. Both are black, but I would also welcome navy.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought the exact same watch cap at the surplus store near my house and I found it to be very itchy. In my experience this sensation usually goes away after a few wears, but not so with this cap. I ended up buying a navy blue Filson wool knit cap instead. It fits better and is much more comfortable to wear.

Peacoat

Bartender
It will probably be itchy if you have a wool allergy. You could try hand washing in Woolite. Give it a good workout while in the solution. That might help.

Here is the link to the Filson hats: http://www.filson.com/men/hats-caps.html Unfortunately, the $45 watch cap doesn't come in navy or black. You will have to go up to $125 to get one in blue or black. It is made of Bison wool, which is non allergenic for most people.

Navy

New in Town
None of the navy ones I've found seem to match well with my 1952 midnight blue peacoat. They each looked much bluer than my peacoat (at least while with store lighting). Would they match once I go outside into the sunlight?

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
None of the navy ones I've found seem to match well with my 1952 midnight blue peacoat. They each looked much bluer than my peacoat (at least while with store lighting). Would they match once I go outside into the sunlight?
Usually when out in the bright sunlight things look "lighter" when outside. Peacoats which are very dark navy blue inside almost appear to be black. When outside - surprise they are navy blue. I have found that most caps and sweaters do not come in as dark a navy blue as the Kersey peacoats do. The navy color watch cap I bought was not only small but was lighter in color then the Kersey peacoats.

Navy

New in Town
Usually when out in the bright sunlight things look "lighter" when outside. Peacoats which are very dark navy blue inside almost appear to be black. When outside - surprise they are navy blue. I have found that most caps and sweaters do not come in as dark a navy blue as the Kersey peacoats do. The navy color watch cap I bought was not only small but was lighter in color then the Kersey peacoats.
Should I still opt for a navy watch cap then? I found a nice charcoal one that looks great with my peacoat indoors but have no idea how the outfit will look in sunlight.

Navy

New in Town
I read there was some specific "Z" pattern to sewing on the buttons?
One of mine popped when I was wearing a sweater under my peacoat and took a deep breath :eek:.

Peacoat

Bartender
I use the X pattern when sewing a button back on. The Z pattern is more efficient for the seamstress when using a sewing machine, but I hand stitch mine. Be careful you don't go through both sides of a pocket or you will have to do it over again. Also, use a thimble which makes it easier to go through the thick material.

If you like a close fit, you will need one size for wear with only a shirt, and you need a coat one size larger when wearing a sweater. That way you get a fitted look both ways, and you don't pop buttons.

Navy

New in Town
I use the X pattern when sewing a button back on. The Z pattern is more efficient for the seamstress when using a sewing machine, but I hand stitch mine. Be careful you don't go through both sides of a pocket or you will have to do it over again. Also, use a thimble which makes it easier to go through the thick material.

If you like a close fit, you will need one size for wear with only a shirt, and you need a coat one size larger when wearing a sweater. That way you get a fitted look both ways, and you don't pop buttons.
I'm guessing the X pattern is stronger?
And what color thread should be used? The button thread looks greenish.

Peacoat

Bartender
I use black. That is what is on my coats (or maybe a dark navy). Black thread is easy to find, and I usually have some around without having to search for it. In comparing the X pattern and the Z pattern, I think the X is stronger. The Z pattern is used for efficiency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy