Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Peacoat

Bartender
It certainly looks like a "53" but that would be a big anomaly that I can't explain. If it had been a "58" before the unfortunate dry cleaning episode, that would square with what I know and what is in my archives.

I just blew it up and looked at it with a magnifying glass; it was a "58" prior to being faded by the cleaning. So that is no longer an anomaly. I don't like anomalies. Plus, you read it as a "58" prior to the cleaning. It is a 1958 peacoat.

Can you tell what the numbers are immediately following the "Contract No." Peacoat.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Can you tell what the numbers are immediately following the "Contract No." Peacoat.

This is my best guess at the Contract No., based on the photo:

_ _ _ (CTM) 273_ - 0._ - 80-0-58

The tag is so faded now that attempts to read it are fruitless.

Can we assume there was only one contract for each individual year? If so, then another tag for a 1958 coat could supply the missing numerals or letters.

What does "CTM" indicate?

Any tips or advice about how to learn something about the original owner: "WILEY DH 588-76-98" ?

Also, the hanging loop on the inside of the rear collar is broken. What would be a suitable replacement that is robust enough for such a heavy coat? Or do most of you just use wide-shoulder hangers? I've been wearing my peacoat so often lately, I just drape it on a chair (the closet is stuffed).

Gamma68

One Too Many
I don't know if this has been mentioned previously here or in another thread, but I came across a great online archive of an official U.S. Navy publication called "All Hands" (1922-2011). Lots of articles and photos in the issues, particularly from 1942-onward.

In a quick search of the covers, I came across the March 1950 issue (below). Looks like he's wearing a peacoat.

This resource might be helpful for researching peacoats, flight jackets, etc.

http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/department_arch.html

ah195003.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
This is my best guess at the Contract No., based on the photo:

_ _ _ (CTM) 273_ - 0._ - 80-0-58

The tag is so faded now that attempts to read it are fruitless.

Can we assume there was only one contract for each individual year? If so, then another tag for a 1958 coat could supply the missing numerals or letters.

What does "CTM" indicate?

Any tips or advice about how to learn something about the original owner: "WILEY DH 588-76-98" ?

Also, the hanging loop on the inside of the rear collar is broken. What would be a suitable replacement that is robust enough for such a heavy coat? Or do most of you just use wide-shoulder hangers? I've been wearing my peacoat so often lately, I just drape it on a chair (the closet is stuffed).
What I really need are the letters preceding the "(CTM)." They probably are "QM" which would be consistent with a 1958 tag. A 1953 coat would have a prefix of "TAP" and the rest of the contract number would be formatted differently from what you have. I have seen QM precede the (CTM) on several occasions. I am convinced, just as you were when the tag was legible, that this is a 1958 peacoat.

Gamma68

One Too Many
What I really need are the letters preceding the "(CTM)." They probably are "QM" which would be consistent with a 1958 tag. A 1953 coat would have a prefix of "TAP" and the rest of the contract number would be formatted differently from what you have. I have seen QM precede the (CTM) on several occasions. I am convinced, just as you were when the tag was legible, that this is a 1958 peacoat.

The tag is impossible to read in its current state. Looking more closely at the photo I posted previously, it appears there are two characters preceding (CTM), not three. The second of those two characters looks like it could be a "M", so I'll go with "QM."

Another photo of a 1958 peacoat tag would help if available for posting.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
The tag is impossible to read in its current state. Looking more closely at the photo I posted previously, it appears there are two characters preceding (CTM), not three. The second of those two characters looks like it could be a "M", so I'll go with "QM."

Another photo of a 1958 peacoat tag would help if available for posting.
My '58 is : U.S. NAVY
QM(CTM)-1838 OI or O1 -885-C-58

Gamma68

One Too Many
Thanks, Spoonbelly.

I'm going to guess my coat label reads QM (CTM) 273 - O.I. 80-0-58

Thanks to everyone for helping verify this information as closely as possible.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks, Spoonbelly.

I'm going to guess my coat label reads QM (CTM) 273 - O.I. 80-0-58

Thanks to everyone for helping verify this information as closely as possible.
And you would be guessing correctly. Thanks to Spoon for chiming in.

Plate No. 25 at the link below shows a Seaman and Chief Petty Officer "overcoat" (what we'd call a peacoat today) from 1913:

http://www.quarterdeck.org/uniforms/1913/1913 Plates 20-29 Enlisted.pdf
A good resource. This confirms what we know about the style of the peacoat back then. This is as far back in style as I have been able to go.

If you will notice, the Chief got the long coat and the seaman got the short coat, which we know as a peacoat today. The longer coat evolved into the Bridge Coat worn by officers and chiefs, while the peacoat is worn by enlisted and lower ranked NCOs.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
BTW...this is one of several Defense Agency contract number formats used by manufacturers in the 1950s. I've seen 1957 peacoat tags that followed this same format, but I've never seen one from 1953. But the DA began operation in 1953, so I guess they may exist. In fact, the more I compare the tag at issue with known 1958 examples, the more I think the tag at issue might be the first 1953 tag I've seen.

AF

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I just got a copy of this book (see below) from Japan. In the first section it's got a bunch of peacoats and bridge coats shown, from various periods, most from the 1910s. The bridge coats they call "peacoats (long)" and they literally look like standard peacoats with long skirts. They show a bunch of peacoats with flapped hip pockets, as per the pre-war models which Peacoat has discussed in the past. They even show one with hip pockets which has 10 buttons but the bottom 8 spaced lower from the collar, like those civilian coats which are common (by Fidelity and Sterlingwear). The book has little text and most of that's in Japanese, but if you're good at interpreting photos, I suggest the book.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
I don't know if this has been mentioned previously here or in another thread, but I came across a great online archive of an official U.S. Navy publication called "All Hands" (1922-2011). Lots of articles and photos in the issues, particularly from 1942-onward.

In a quick search of the covers, I came across the March 1950 issue (below). Looks like he's wearing a peacoat.

This resource might be helpful for researching peacoats, flight jackets, etc.

http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/department_arch.html

ah195003.jpg

We always looked forward to the new issue of all hands. Great articles and pictures of duty stations and places to take leave. I think you can still get it, but in digital format now.

carabinier

New in Town
Hi all, new here but I followed this guide and I own a USN peacoat for 3years. It has kesey wool, double stitch cuff and corduroy pocket, but not the zigzag collar stitch and throat latch. This is a pic me wearing it in Swedish December chill. The waistline is quite pronounced, not unlike a old school English suit.
peacoat_zpsflkg4djv.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner