Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
For a vintage size 34 the p2p is 19". Interestingly, the current issue models are 18". Of course this is subject to change. I will need to dig one out to measure the other points.
Thanks man.
Hoping this one will fit my 24yo daughter.
B

Peacoat

Bartender
The vintage 34 has a shoulder of 18". The sleeve length, taken down the outside of the sleeve following the curve of the elbow is 26".

The current issue 34 also has a shoulder of 18". I measured the p2p and got 19". Don't know where I got the 18" p2p stated in the earlier post. Interestingly on the sleeve length I got 23.5" on the current issue. But I was unable to find the elbow curve to measure that way. My back got tired leaning over the bed, so I quit measuring.

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Peacoat, you are a gentleman.
I got measurements from the seller and am going to compare them to a jacket that fits her well.
Thanks
Bowen

Peacoat

Bartender
Thank you Peacoat, you are a gentleman.
I got measurements from the seller and am going to compare them to a jacket that fits her well.
Thanks
Bowen
If a 34s fits her, I have a current issue (1980) and a vintage peacoat in 34s I would sell you at less than the eBay seller's price. My wife has three and only needs one.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Peacoat, if I may ask, according to the serial on my jacket, does it mean it’s issued in 1995? The middle two numbers are -95-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
c1d29970b757da2bb095a75c9598216e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
If a 34s fits her, I have a current issue (1980) and a vintage peacoat in 34s I would sell you at less than the eBay seller's price. My wife has three and only needs one.
Thank you Peacoat. That’s very generous. I made an offer and am waiting on a counter offer. I will def keep that in mind.
Bowen

Sonero

Practically Family
Schott vs Sterling Wear:

I have been wearing peacoats this year and own both a Schott 740n and A SW Authentic . It was very easy for me to notice the difference. Hopefully this information helps someone.

Schott - Thicker Wool, Warmer, Roomy fit that allows for a medium sweater underneath.
SW Authentic - More tailored fit which looks more like a blazer would fit. Much thinner material. I have a problem believing it would be sufficient during cold winter month, more like Spring / Early Fall NYC.

Both size 36R

Maybe own both for different seasons ?

On the flip side I own a used Kearnsey Wool Govt. Issue P from the 70's and it destroys both Schott and SW in quality and performance.

There it is.....

Carruthers

New in Town
Hi all, this is a great thread and I have a question, but first my pea coat origin story.

I have a couple of vintage coats (Brooks Brothers trench and overcoat) so when I decided that I needed to add a pea coat, I started at the better secondhand stores near where I live in Toronto. To be honest, I didn't know about the quality and availability of Navy-issued coats when I started but two on the rack I was browsing stood out for being really solid and in great condition (and a great price at ~US$50). They are both marked with "Kersey" tags but at 36 and 42, were too big or too small for me. Anyway, I was hooked, checked a few surplus stores here and started watching ebay auctions.

But then I got impatient. Googling revealed that there is an outdoor surplus store near me that sells Navy-issued vintage pea coats through their website. Based on the photos and the low-key description, it's a mixed lot and you get what you get based on your size. The price is still pretty good at ~US$85-90, including shipping. I rolled the dice and waited for my new (to me) coat to arrive.

Did I ever luck out. I'm now the proud owner of 1953 (TAP at the start of the contract number and 53 at the end) issued and worn pea coat in really excellent condition. It appears to have been altered at some point for shorter sleeves (that fit me perfectly) but otherwise shows almost no signs of wear.

Except! There is no inside button (a.k.a. jigger) on the left side. Were coats of this vintage supposed to have that button? I have looked very very closely and can't see signs that my coat ever had one. If I wanted to add one, should it be behind the top or middle (of the three showing buttons on my left side)?

Sonero

Practically Family
Hi all, this is a great thread and I have a question, but first my pea coat origin story.

I have a couple of vintage coats (Brooks Brothers trench and overcoat) so when I decided that I needed to add a pea coat, I started at the better secondhand stores near where I live in Toronto. To be honest, I didn't know about the quality and availability of Navy-issued coats when I started but two on the rack I was browsing stood out for being really solid and in great condition (and a great price at ~US$50). They are both marked with "Kersey" tags but at 36 and 42, were too big or too small for me. Anyway, I was hooked, checked a few surplus stores here and started watching ebay auctions.

But then I got impatient. Googling revealed that there is an outdoor surplus store near me that sells Navy-issued vintage pea coats through their website. Based on the photos and the low-key description, it's a mixed lot and you get what you get based on your size. The price is still pretty good at ~US$85-90, including shipping. I rolled the dice and waited for my new (to me) coat to arrive.

Did I ever luck out. I'm now the proud owner of 1953 (TAP at the start of the contract number and 53 at the end) issued and worn pea coat in really excellent condition. It appears to have been altered at some point for shorter sleeves (that fit me perfectly) but otherwise shows almost no signs of wear.

Except! There is no inside button (a.k.a. jigger) on the left side. Were coats of this vintage supposed to have that button? I have looked very very closely and can't see signs that my coat ever had one. If I wanted to add one, should it be behind the top or middle (of the three showing buttons on my left side)?

Better to post photo of where the button would be. I am having a hard time judging by words alone.

Carruthers

New in Town
Better to post photo of where the button would be. I am having a hard time judging by words alone.

My idea is that the inside button should go somewhere close to where the pen is in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20191220_155726.jpg
    IMG_20191220_155726.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 620

Sonero

Practically Family
My idea is that the inside button should go somewhere close to where the pen is in the photo.
If I understand you correctly this button is sometimes used in double breasted blazers for a more tapered fit. Owning now 3 peacoats I don't see any buttons on mine nor the need for those type of buttons. The neck closure button would be more important to me.
Is there a reason you yearn for this button placement ?

Peacoat

Bartender
I have never really seen the need for that button, and don't understand its purpose. I have heard various explanations, but none really made sense to me. Some coats have them and some don't.

@Carruthers, congratulations on a good find, and welcome to the Lounge.

@Sonero your avatar may be you, but it reminds me of a guy I once knew from Hibbing, MN.

never_behind

New in Town
Hello all. I’m new to the forum and found it looking for info on a pea coat I purchased off eBay. Based on my readings here, I believe I have a 1975 USN-issued pea coat but I would appreciate a second opinion.

539644FF-B190-4F34-AC0B-EB84B15F108C.jpeg
B04FB828-5A05-4B89-83C4-F4755E8D5DD1.jpeg
F6384524-3EDC-467D-B29D-05459FFCE5B1.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk