Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

My actual nine old peacoat is one of these priceworth massmarket storebrand-modells, with a shell made of seemingly wool-felt (60% cotton/40% polyester) and the quilted winter-padding under it. I guess, the wool-felt, instead of woven wool, makes the difference.

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I have an unissued WWII size 38 Peacoat that's in virtually mint condition. It's quite warm in moderately cold weather. Such a classic, handsome design, as well. In saying that, one thing that I wish were part of Peacoat design, and would make it considerably warmer, are knit storm cuffs.

- Ian

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, as Ian has noted, the sleeves allow quite a bit of air transfer, as does the open bottom. I have found, as Trenchfriend suggested, a pullover is a welcome accessory in temps in the 30s and below. It takes up the extra space in the sleeves and body, and slows air transfer. That simple addition makes it a warm coat.

I wore mine today with a thermal undershirt and a flannel shirt. It was in the mid 30's Fahrenheit. It was plenty warm.

- Ian

Naturally. A usual, twill-weaved (cotton) flannel-shirt is warmer than a basic cotton (jersey)-turtleneck pullover. Can be too warm for me and additional, the lack of the healthy turtleneck.
A flannel-shirt under a wintercoat and additional fast walking around, it's like a cashmere-pullover under a cashmere-wintercoat, woohoo. Especially, If I would wear one of my thicker "thermo"-flannelshirts. :D

Nope, the good old basic (jersey-cotton) turtleneck-pullovers are the real versatile for me. And washable on 30/40°C, in compare to the more sensitive wool-turtleneck pullovers. :)

daw

Familiar Face
I have really enjoyed reading this amazing thread, and have learned a lot from it! An amazing collection of information.

I wonder if anyone here can advise me on any differences between WW2 Coast Guard pea coats and WW2 Navy pea coats? (if I missed this in the thread, I'm sorry). I have a Coast Guard pea coat on its way, but couldn't find any reference to these in the sticky thread for pea coat dating. Any information would be much appreciated. I have Navy pea coats from 1949 and 1969 already but wanted to have a WW2 style one as well. I didn't really stop to think the CG one might be different from the Navy variety. To my eye, it looks the same, other than a different label (below).
cg pea coat.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
The coats should be the same; the tags will be somewhat different. I would think this tag is from 1947 or earlier. If it is an 8 button showing coat, then it is 1945 or earlier (WWII).

In later years the Coast Guard shield was embroideryed on the right sleeve of the coat.

If you haven't already, you might enjoy reading the Peacoat Dating Guide linked to below.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...-dating-the-united-states-navy-peacoat.72058/

Last edited:

daw

Familiar Face
The coats should be the same; the tags will be somewhat different. I would think this tag is from 1947 or earlier. If it is an 8 button showing coat, then it is 1945 or earlier (WWII).

In later years the Coast Guard shield was embroideryed on the right sleeve of the coat.

If you haven't already, you might enjoy reading the Peacoat Dating Guide linked to below.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...-dating-the-united-states-navy-peacoat.72058/

Thanks, Mr. Peacoat. I've enjoyed reading that thread several times. Excellent and very helpful guide, and thanks also for that as well!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Posted this pic in the 'what jacket are you wearing today' thread but thought it might be of some use here. Paid quite a bit to ship this lovely 38" 1967 Peacoat over the pond but sadly it was a tad snug for comfort. I wasn't sure if moving the buttons would devalue the coat, but after taking Mr Peacoat advise I went ahead and had them moved - better to make use of a beautiful coat than leave it on a hanger for the moths to chew. It's now a perfect fit with just a shirt under it and it's getting a lot wear.

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

Last edited:

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I agree with Grayland as to the Kersey shell. The denseness of the wool does a good job of stopping the wind, and it will be water resistant for relatively short periods of time. I wouldn't want to spend an hour or so in the rain, however. The Melton shell is a less dense wool and the Navy specified a liner to make the coat as warm as the Kersey. The liner does a good job of keeping the body warm, but the wind resistance of the Melton isn't as good as the Kersey. I would also think the less dense weave of the Melton would not be as water resistant as the Kersey.
Peacoat,
I always wondered why they didn't extend the liner in the Melton coats further down towards the bottom of the coat? Maybe the coat would be too heavy? They would also have to enlarge the size of the coat a wee bit to make up for the increase due to the liner. That would be one hell of a warm coat though!!

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I have really enjoyed reading this amazing thread, and have learned a lot from it! An amazing collection of information.

I wonder if anyone here can advise me on any differences between WW2 Coast Guard pea coats and WW2 Navy pea coats? (if I missed this in the thread, I'm sorry). I have a Coast Guard pea coat on its way, but couldn't find any reference to these in the sticky thread for pea coat dating. Any information would be much appreciated. I have Navy pea coats from 1949 and 1969 already but wanted to have a WW2 style one as well. I didn't really stop to think the CG one might be different from the Navy variety. To my eye, it looks the same, other than a different label (below). View attachment 63928

I bought a WWII Coast Guard peacoat a few years ago on ebay. It turned out to be a tinch tight so I resold it on ebay. Not sure if this is true for all WWII CG coats, but the Kersey material on the one I had was beautiful - thick, soft, heavy but very durable. I also have a WWII Navy peacoat that I can compare it to. I believe they are the same coats except for the sleight difference in Kersey material and the tags. Differences in the Kersey materials also occurs on Navy coats . Different years have sleightly different feels, textures and even sleight color differences.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the response and the love man. I THOUGHT I had one already but you set me right on that. I can fit a 48 now... I'll see what I can find. Thanks again....

Worf

Worf, size 48 and even size 50 peacoats were issued in the 1950s. It took several fruitless years of looking on eBay, but then I scored two within a span of ten months...both in size 50. Here's the spec tag from one. So keep looking, my friend. Big-Boy, vintage peacoats still exist in the wild. One's out there waiting for you. :)

AF

image_zpsop6pffly.jpeg

dioxide

New in Town
The search for a peacoat locally here is quite tough but at least I have a feel of what'll for me now. Tried a 1950s 38 peacoat but it sort of felt big in the sleeves area but felt perfect around the chest. The shoulders definitely felt somewhat tight and probably might've been uncomfortable had I continue wearing it for longer than 15 minutes but everything else felt like an almost perfect fit despite it being a size 38. I'm a 36 chest for reference. I tried on a mid-late 60s 38 peacoat a couple weeks back and the shoulders were slightly bigger but not as restricting as the 50s peacoat. That coat was just way too big for me overall. The difference in fit was quite staggering to me.

I have learned that my shoulders are a bit wide. I've yet to find a 36 locally but I did try on some 34 coats with just a t-shirt and I could not get my arms through. I think leaning towards a late 50s or early 60s 36 peacoat might give me the fit I'm looking for. Sadly, this probably would leave me out of grabbing a WWII coat in my size down the road due to the shoulder sizes.

Peacoat

Bartender
Peacoat,
I always wondered why they didn't extend the liner in the Melton coats further down towards the bottom of the coat? Maybe the coat would be too heavy? They would also have to enlarge the size of the coat a wee bit to make up for the increase due to the liner. That would be one hell of a warm coat though!!
I just checked my 1980 peacoat, and the liner is extended to the hem of the coat. The satin lining is what only goes part of the way down. I had never noticed that until you mentioned it. The Melton shell on these coats is quite thin. Without the insulated liner, they would not hold body heat very well.

daw

Familiar Face
I bought a WWII Coast Guard peacoat a few years ago on ebay. It turned out to be a tinch tight so I resold it on ebay. Not sure if this is true for all WWII CG coats, but the Kersey material on the one I had was beautiful - thick, soft, heavy but very durable. I also have a WWII Navy peacoat that I can compare it to. I believe they are the same coats except for the sleight difference in Kersey material and the tags. Differences in the Kersey materials also occurs on Navy coats . Different years have sleightly different feels, textures and even sleight color differences.

Thanks for the response, Spoonbelly.

Peacoat

Bartender
Posted this pic in the 'what jacket are you wearing today' thread but thought it might be of some use here. Paid quite a bit to ship this lovely 38" 1967 Peacoat over the pond but sadly it was a tad snug for comfort. I wasn't sure if moving the buttons would devalue the coat, but after taking Mr Peacoat advise I went ahead and had them moved - better to make use of a beautiful coat than leave it on a hanger for the moths to chew. It's now a perfect fit with just a shirt under it and it's getting a lot wear.
View attachment 63964

That is an excellent fit--the way they should fit when worn without a sweater (jumper). I can't even tell the buttons have been moved.

Did you have them moved about an inch (2.5 cm)?

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I just checked my 1980 peacoat, and the liner is extended to the hem of the coat. The satin lining is what only goes part of the way down. I had never noticed that until you mentioned it. The Melton shell on these coats is quite thin. Without the insulated liner, they would not hold body heat very well.
Peacoat,
What I meant was to have the satin lining extended further down closer to the bottom hem. They would probably have to make the entire coat maybe a 1/2 size larger to make up for this increase of space from it. That would be one heck of a warm coat! It would also cover up the liners in those coats which pill like crazy!!! That pilling drives me crazy. If you take some of it off it comes right back again!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner