Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

TheKai

New in Town
Gentlemen, I have ordered my first peacoat (or coat in general). Since I often wear really slim fit clothes, the peacoat feels kind of baggy on me. What do you think about the fit? Thanks in advance!

Inkedphoto_2021-12-14_09-37-46_LI.jpg
Inkedphoto_2021-12-14_09-37-48_LI.jpg
photo_2021-12-14_09-37-36.jpg
Inkedphoto_2021-12-14_09-37-33_LI.jpg

BigBrother

One of the Regulars

Attachments

• 538E866A-745C-41A2-82AD-FBC17D30E182.jpeg
    538E866A-745C-41A2-82AD-FBC17D30E182.jpeg
    808.6 KB · Views: 1,023

Edward

Bartender
Looks good, nothing wrong at all. Don't go any smaller than that. It's a winter coat. It's not supposed to fit tight. You should be able to layer in it.

Agreed. If anything, I'd be asking whether there's enough space under it to layer, as it looks on the neater end of the spectrum as is. If there is enough room, it's good to go.

I once made the mistake of buying a wool jacket without enough room to layer with a sweater - result was there was only a couple of weeks a year I could wear it without it being either too warm, or not warm enough because of the lack of space for a chunky sweater.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
What AbbaHat means is the coat in that photo fits just right. If that's you, then keep that coat. Wear it. And move on with life.

Military peacoats are not supposed to fit skin-tight or short. They simply aren't cut like that. They're cut to be roomy and to fit over several layers. And cut really does matter because if a coat is designed, cut, and manufactured to be roomy then you can't just "size down" to get a slim fit. Sizing down is a noob fantasy that gets peddled around the internet. Forget it. If you want skin-tight then you have to forget military coats and buy something from a fashion-forward luxury clothing house. Take advantage of this advice. Realize that other people know more about some things than you do.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks so much all for the help and words of encouragement! Here for reference is one of the 32Rs on me. Approximate s2s 17”, p2p 20”. You’ll see how it approximates this:

https://veteransbreakfastclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Navy-peacoat-768x512.jpg

I think a 34S or 32S will be the ticket. (Ignoring for a sec the fact that that measurement isn’t precise, but this range.)
You really have me confused. A p2p of 20" is the approximate size of a 38 peacoat. A size 34, both vintage and current issue, has a p2p of 19". I have never seen a size 32 with a p2p of 20". That's a larger p2p than a size 34.

If that is an image of you wearing the 32R, why would you want a fit other than that? What am I missing here?

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
The coat is exactly what I want when closed. Unfortunately when open it flares out wide at the bottom like a wide dress. It’s the issue I have with a lot of these. I’m hoping that with a short this will be somewhat alleviated, plus I’d like to lose an inch at the sleeve anyway and I’m not crazy about the length.

Re: the weird sizing, I can take pics tomorrow of it all if you’d like.

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
What AbbaHat means is the coat in that photo fits just right. If that's you, then keep that coat. Wear it. And move on with life.

Military peacoats are not supposed to fit skin-tight or short. They simply aren't cut like that. They're cut to be roomy and to fit over several layers. And cut really does matter because if a coat is designed, cut, and manufactured to be roomy then you can't just "size down" to get a slim fit. Sizing down is a noob fantasy that gets peddled around the internet. Forget it. If you want skin-tight then you have to forget military coats and buy something from a fashion-forward luxury clothing house. Take advantage of this advice. Realize that other people know more about some things than you do.

With all due respect, military peacoats have been issued and cut pretty much exactly as I want:

https://veteransbreakfastclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Navy-peacoat-768x512.jpg

I’m quite close. But as you see there it’s not some sized down civilian fantasy, just perhaps less common than what is generally seen.

Peacoat

Bartender
The coat is exactly what I want when closed. Unfortunately when open it flares out wide at the bottom like a wide dress. It’s the issue I have with a lot of these. I’m hoping that with a short this will be somewhat alleviated, plus I’d like to lose an inch at the sleeve anyway and I’m not crazy about the length.

Re: the weird sizing, I can take pics tomorrow of it all if you’d like.
Rule #1 when wearing a peacoat: Never, Ever wear it open. They are always buttoned. If it is too warm to wear it buttoned, wear something else.

The sleeve length is perfect. The hem length should end right below your butt cheeks. This one looks as if it may already be a bit short. You certainly don't want it any shorter.

What you have posted is a an excellent fit. Quit worrying about it. You have nailed it.

You probably don't know it, but the above advice comes from the guy who wrote the book on peacoats. There is no one in the world who knows more about Navy issue peacoats than he does.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Rule #1 when wearing a peacoat: Never, Ever wear it open. They are always buttoned. If it is too warm to wear it buttoned, wear something else.

The sleeve length is perfect. The hem length should end right below your butt cheeks. This one looks as if it may already be a bit short. You certainly don't want it any shorter.

What you have posted is a an excellent fit. Quit worrying about it. You have nailed it.

You probably don't know it, but the above advice comes from the guy who wrote the book on peacoats. There is no one in the world who knows more about Navy issue peacoats than he does.
Amen and amen @Peacoat and your enormous knowledge speaks to all.
Hell...i got out my perfect fitting gorgeous Coast Guard issue just so i could feel jealous of the @BigBrother fit which is better than half the squids...err Navy guys i ever saw.
I hope these affirmations are convincing. If not...take it to a tailor and have your way.
B

BigBrother

One of the Regulars

Interesting all around. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy