Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
If Sterlingwear is truly gone, then that's sad news. Guess the pivot to medical gowns didn't save them; they never seemed very interested in further developing their sales direct to consumers. I had hoped to be able to gift my kids with peacoats when they came of age, guess by the time they do it'll be either Schott or lucking out with by then difficult to find vintage surplus. I do hope Schott survives at least. They might not be makers of authentic peacoats, but at least it's heads above the cheaper stuff from most other big name clothing companies.

In the meantime I'll probably try to find a surplus vintage for a grab and go peacoat.
I just gave my Son my Sterlingwear Pea Coat. I went and bought a Schott Pea Coat for myself. It has the quilted lining and heavy wool once I found out Sterlingwear went out of business. I wear a size 50 so it's very hard to find real vintage Navy Pea Coats in my Size.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Don't know if this has been posted previously but I saw Quaker Marine Supply is offering its version of a melton wool peacoat. Looks like quality. I'm curious to know if others here have tried one on?

https://quakermarine.com/products/a...M1pAzcXFAglH5mmoKoH3zdtDKY75tRSchm408=.HWrnD2

1665070499034.png

1665070473772.png

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't know if this has been posted previously but I saw Quaker Marine Supply is offering its version of a melton wool peacoat. Looks like quality. I'm curious to know if others here have tried one on?

https://quakermarine.com/products/atlantis-peacoat?_kx=VfxvYVM1pAzcXFAglH5mmoKoH3zdtDKY75tRSchm408=.HWrnD2

View attachment 455814

View attachment 455813

Two things I don't like about this coat: First of all it has a Melton shell and secondly it is a poly blend. But if those two things don't bother you, then it is probably well made. I am just too much of a fan of the 100% Kersey shell to ever consider a coat made of Melton.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Two things I don't like about this coat: First of all it has a Melton shell and secondly it is a poly blend. But if those two things don't bother you, then it is probably well made. I am just too much of a fan of the 100% Kersey shell to ever consider a coat made of Melton.
Ah, good point. I didn't notice it is a poly-blend.

I'll take a vintage Kersey wool coat any day of the week over a poly-blend. Better than melton wool, too.

Peacoat

Bartender
Ah, good point. I didn't notice it is a poly-blend.

I'll take a vintage Kersey wool coat any day of the week over a poly-blend. Better than melton wool, too.
Yes, Kersey will work better for you up there. Put a sweater under it, and you are good for most temperatures you will see.

In NYC, I just wore a Kersey peacoat with only a long sleeve cotton shirt and a T-shirt underneath. Didn't get cold, but then we were doing a lot of walking when not in the subway or in a club/restaurant. Your temps are similar to the City.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Yes, Kersey will work better for you up there. Put a sweater under it, and you are good for most temperatures you will see.

In NYC, I just wore a Kersey peacoat with only a long sleeve cotton shirt and a T-shirt underneath. Didn't get cold, but then we were doing a lot of walking when not in the subway or in a club/restaurant. Your temps are similar to the City.
I already have own a 1958 USN peacoat, Kersey wool. I know just what you mean about the warmth it offers. I thought I’d post the new one for the benefit of the group. Maybe it would work well for some members.

Peacoat

Bartender
I already own a 1958 USN peacoat, Kersey wool. I know just what you mean about the warmth it offers. I thought I’d post the new one for the benefit of the group. Maybe it would work well for some members.
Yes, I think it might work for some of our members. Thanks for posting.

I believe 1958 was the 2nd year for the US Navy tag. It is my favorite tag and is the longest running of all the iterations.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have found peacoat buttons on ebay. These may be hard to locate as not many officers or chiefs wore peacoats. They preferred the bridgecoat.

This thread needs to be merged into the main Peacoat thread,, but I'm not able to do it. @Edward if you see this message would you please merge?

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
I just picked up a Sterlingwear of Boston 100% wool Reefer peacoat for cheap. Just missing one button that looks like the attached picture. I'm doing some google searching but not coming up with a lot that matches. Any ideas on a good source for a replacement? Thanks!
We have some suitable buttons, they are not an exact match so you may wish to replace all so they match ?

Attachments

• 20221028_132034.jpg
    20221028_132034.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • 20221028_131944.jpg
    20221028_131944.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 49

ZenEdge

New in Town
I own a 1969 peacoat by Dale and a 1972 peacoat by Pembroke, both in a size 38L. They look the same and their respective measurements are similar, but they fit differently. I didn't figure out why until yesterday. The button stance on the Pembroke is different from that of the Dale. The distance from the top buttonhole to the bottom hem is 23" on the Dale and 22" on the Pembroke; the distance between the buttons is 6" on the Dale, 5" on the Pembroke; and the distance from the bottom buttonhole to the bottom is 11" on the Dale and 12" on the Pembroke. The result is a little more room for the coat to open at the top and at the bottom, meaning a little more relaxed fit. I don't know if that is because they were manufactured in different years or because they were manufactured by different companies. I have two Vietnam era watch caps, manufactured in the same year, but by different companies. One has a seam, the other doesn't. This makes me think that the difference in the coats is because they were made by different manufacturers, not that the specs changed. I would be curious to hear from anyone who has two peacoats made in the same year by different companies and whether there is a difference in the button stance.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Or it could simply be that the buttons were moved by a previous owner to give a looser fit or more trim fit.

I just measured 4 of my peacoats, and the distance between the buttons is from 4" to a about 4.5". Three of them were at 4" and the other at about 4.5".

ZenEdge

New in Town
The button stance refers to the vertical distance between the buttons, not the horizontal. The placement of the top buttonhole is higher on the Dale than on the Pembroke, and the bottom buttonhole is lower on the Dale than on the Pembroke. So, the Dale coat buttons higher in the chest area and lower at the bottom.

Last edited:

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Thanks for the replies. Not sure I want to go all different brass buttons. If I replaced them all, I'd probably go with the larger, black plastic buttons. Thanks though!
Ps sorry I didn't post in the main thread. I guess I thought it would get lost.

Kfz

Familiar Face
Is $99 a good price for a good condition one? Thanks

Attachments

• 69158DC1-318E-4D3B-B95E-E73727260948.jpeg
    69158DC1-318E-4D3B-B95E-E73727260948.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • DBD02F45-3C1F-4182-87EC-810338AE864C.jpeg
    DBD02F45-3C1F-4182-87EC-810338AE864C.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 75

Peacoat

Bartender
As @ZenEdge noted above, this is a 1967 peacoat. It is also an officer's coat, or a reefer. It has the gold buttons as well as the loops on the shoulders to hold insignia shoulder boards. Chiefs are also authorized to wear this coat. Officers wear rank on the shoulders; Chiefs do not.

But all of this is moot as both officers and Chiefs are now authorized to wear the Bridgecoat. The Bridecoat was developed for officers as a watch coat over 100 years ago. Chiefs were more recently authorized to wear it–maybe during the 1950s? The first thing a Petty Officer First Class does when he makes Chief is to sell his peacoat and buy a bridgecoat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ