Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Peacoat

Bartender
As Dudley said in another post, this locator isn't that reliable. Yesterday I put in the name of a friend of mine who definitely was in the Navy. "No Results Found." Then I noticed all services could be searched. I put in my Father's name who was USMC. "No Results Found." As a last result, I entered my name–USA. "No Results Found."

If one gets a hit, that's great, but probably will get the same results as I got.

damobussi

New in Town
Hi i'm from Australia and was just wondering if a list of clothing manufactures who made official genuine navy peacoats has been posted before on this site i have 3 peacoats a ww11 (coast guard issue) a 1968 vietnam era and a 1991 sterling wear genuine issue as im looking for a 42 short i just want to make sure i get a genuine one from a manufacture besides sterling wear . Also are the sizes the same or vary from manufacture to manufacture and i am wondering what has happened to all the genuine navy peacoats that sterling wear wouldve already made before closing down thanks for your help in advance regards Damian

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi i'm from Australia and was just wondering if a list of clothing manufactures who made official genuine navy peacoats has been posted before on this site i have 3 peacoats a ww11 (coast guard issue) a 1968 vietnam era and a 1991 sterling wear genuine issue as im looking for a 42 short i just want to make sure i get a genuine one from a manufacture besides sterling wear . Also are the sizes the same or vary from manufacture to manufacture and i am wondering what has happened to all the genuine navy peacoats that sterling wear wouldve already made before closing down thanks for your help in advance regards Damian
Sterlingwear held the Navy contract for 20 years or so, maybe 30 years, so it is the only manufacturer in the modern era.

Why don't you want a Sterlingwear peacoat? Theirs was an excellent product.

damobussi

New in Town
Sterlingwear held the Navy contract for 20 years or so, maybe 30 years, so it is the only manufacturer in the modern era.

Why don't you want a Sterlingwear peacoat? Theirs was an excellent product.
i am open to buying another sterling coat but i see coats made by whaling and major coat companies and im wondering if they were official suppliers to the navy as well bartender

Dudley

Familiar Face
I stumbled on a 1942 edition of the Naval Officers' guide at a used book store. There was only one reference to peacoats, and it was in the attached picture.. The basic reference confirms what was stated in this thread before, namely, peacoats were for enlisted men and they were used exclusively off the vessel. Not a working jacket

Attachments

• IMG_2324.jpeg
    IMG_2324.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2315.jpeg
    IMG_2315.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 81

Dudley

Familiar Face
Did the navy ever issue a black peacoat in WWII? There is one on E-Bay and the seller insists it is black.

Peacoat

Bartender
No, a black peacoat was never contracted. The color was the same up until 1980.

Many people think the peacoat is black because of the midnight blue color. One way to check the color is to take the peacoat in question, and a known black object, outside in a sunlit day. While in the shade, compare the two side by side. That the peacoat is not black will be obvious.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I’m not familiar with that specific tag, but I have a ‘68 peacoat made by Pembroke, they did fill government contracts.
I think it’s real, the collar looks right, the lining with the stencil, the stitches on the wrist. Even the excellent condition rings true, since I think the smaller sizes get used a lot less.
It looks like a 1972 Navy issue peacoat to me.
And I were going to make a copy, I sure would be making a sizes bigger than a 34 short.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
I’m not familiar with that specific tag, but I have a ‘68 peacoat made by Pembroke, they did fill government contracts.
I think it’s real, the collar looks right, the lining with the stencil, the stitches on the wrist. Even the excellent condition rings true, since I think the smaller sizes get used a lot less.
It looks like a 1972 Navy issue peacoat to me.
And I were going to make a copy, I sure would be making a sizes bigger than a 34 short.
View attachment 556926 View attachment 556927 View attachment 556928 View attachment 556929
Great insight, great point, and great peacoat! Thanks for your reply. I think I'm gonna go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner