Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

GothamBat

New in Town
Awesome thank you. how come they do not use Kersey anymore if it’s superior? Manufacturing cost I’m guessing? Is there a last year of the Kersey style?

Absalom

New in Town
Hello,
I recently acquired a WWII-era pea coat with a pit-to-pit measurement of 18". My chest measures 34" but I feel the coat is still too small for me in the shoulder area. For example, buttoning the fourth (counting from down) button is really tricky and almost feels like it will get the button undone at some point. Also, I feel restricted when moving my arms horizontally back and forth.
Is it a case of needing to size up to a size 36 coat with 19" pit-to-pit or will it become too large elsewhere, then? Or would maybe a later iteration with a loser fit as a 34" be better? I'd really like to stay in the 10-button style, though.
I have attached pictures, if they help to judge.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20240102_085335930~2.jpg
    PXL_20240102_085335930~2.jpg
    720.8 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20240102_085517572~2.jpg
    PXL_20240102_085517572~2.jpg
    915.6 KB · Views: 79

Peacoat

Bartender
Hello,
I recently acquired a WWII-era pea coat with a pit-to-pit measurement of 18". My chest measures 34" but I feel the coat is still too small for me in the shoulder area. For example, buttoning the fourth (counting from down) button is really tricky and almost feels like it will get the button undone at some point. Also, I feel restricted when moving my arms horizontally back and forth.
Is it a case of needing to size up to a size 36 coat with 19" pit-to-pit or will it become too large elsewhere, then? Or would maybe a later iteration with a loser fit as a 34" be better? I'd really like to stay in the 10-button style, though.
I have attached pictures, if they help to judge.
Thanks in advance!
That coat is at least one size too small for you.

A peacoat with a p2p of 18" is a size 32 (approximately). A p2p of 19" is approximately a size 34, and a p2p of 20 is a size 36.

It might be helpful for you to read my thread linked below. Toward the end I have a section on sizing. Or I have a thread on sizing in the guides section. You should see it at the top of the Outerwear section. If, after reading that guide, please ask any questions you may have.

Welcome to the Lounge PC

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...-dating-the-united-states-navy-peacoat.72058/

Last edited:

Absalom

New in Town
That coat is at least one size too small for you.

A peacoat with a p2p of 18" is a size 32 (approximately). A p2p of 19" is approximately a size 34, and a p2p of 20 is a size 36.

It might be helpful for you to read my thread linked below. Toward the end I have section on sizing. Or I have a thread on sizing in the guides section. You should see it at the top of the Outerwear section. If, after reading that guide, please ask any questions you may have.

Welcome to the Lounge PC

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...-dating-the-united-states-navy-peacoat.72058/
Thank you for the info! It seems that many people on eBay list an 18" p2p as a size 36", which is very confusing if the fact is that a 36" actually corresponds to a 20" p2p. That would mean that for a real size 36" with a 20" p2p, I should be looking at size 40" coats (and to confirm the p2p to be 20").

Peacoat

Bartender
Put no stock in what eBay sellers say in their listings. They seldom know what they are talking about. Just go by what I have written in the guides. It is accurate.

Basically, take the p2p and double it. Then subtract 4" to get the size of the peacoat. A p2p of 20" would be size 36, and should fit someone with a measured chest circumference of 36". That's really all you need to know.

A size 36 peacoat would have an internal measurement of greater than 36" to allow room for comfortable movement. Internally it would probably measure somewhere about 39", but don't get hung up on that. Just follow my instructions in the second paragraph above.

Questions? Just ask me (after reading the fitting guide). PC

PilotJens

A-List Customer
Did they ever made a leather version of the pea coat .I recently acquired a schott leather peacoat and was wondering if they are a real thing like the U-Boot coats from Germany

PilotJens

A-List Customer
I probably sell it though because I look like a Nazi/ Waffen SS with it . I might get it remade in dark brown goatskin or something

Peacoat

Bartender
No, the US Navy never issued a leather peacoat. Several of our board members have the civilian copies, and I like them. @SpeedRcrX has a particularly nice one. If I remember correctly, it is a Lost Worlds.

I believe the WWII German versions were grey in color.

Your leather peacoat should be short enough so that it isn't reminiscent of the long Nazi coats, even if it is black.

GothamBat

New in Town
Having a hard time deciphering this tag due to it being so faded. Can anyone help me with what year is it made?

Attachments

• IMG_7400.png
    IMG_7400.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 69

Peacoat

Bartender
The writing is mostly illegible, but going by the pattern of the text, I date it as a 1966 coat. That was my first thought when I saw what's left of the label, and after comparing your label with a known 1966 label, I am sure of it.

GothamBat

New in Town
The writing is mostly illegible, but going by the pattern of the text, I date it as a 1966 coat. That was my first thought when I saw what's left of the label, and after comparing your label with a known 1966 label, I am sure of it.
Thank you very much

Kfz

Familiar Face
Anyone have repaired loose thread on edge of Kersey wool Peacoat? It’s a WWIi coat. How and what’s the result?
IMG_5025.jpeg
IMG_5026.jpeg

89five.o

New in Town
Any recommendations on brushes for keeping peacoats tidy? Sticky lint rollers do a subpar job of lifting dog hair off of this new coat. What's everyone use typically, Boar Bristle brushes? Thanks.

Dudley

Familiar Face
Just picked up this 1959 today for $65. What attracted me to this one is the throat latch. This is the first post WW2 peacoat (6 button) I have seen that actually has the latch. Jackets always have the buttons under the collar.Thoughts?

Attachments

• s-l500-1.jpg
    s-l500-1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 39
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 43

spoonbelly1950

Familiar Face
Just picked up this 1959 today for $65. What attracted me to this one is the throat latch. This is the first post WW2 peacoat (6 button) I have seen that actually has the latch. Jackets always have the buttons under the collar.Thoughts?
I've used mine a couple of times. Both of those coats are WWll. One is a Coast Guard coat which is exactly a navy coat but with a different inside tag. They're great if you don't have a hat. That '59 tag looks nice and clean. I'm assuming the coat is primo.

Peacoat

Bartender
It's surprising to me that the throat latches are missing. Why? because they aren't much used on the post WWII coats. They are sorta there but forgotten.

After I wrote the above, I thought, "Throat latches on post WWII coats?" Didn't remember that they even had them. So, I looked at 4 or 5 of mine. No throat latches. The coat is gathered at the throat with buttons and not throat latches.

I'm surprised you have a 3 button coat with a throat latch.

Dudley

Familiar Face
I am surprised as well. I will look it over carefully when it arrives. We will see if it is even possible to latch around the wide lapels. Here is the front pic

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 41

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner