Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Peacoat

Bartender
votan said:
i'm not saying CPOs never wear bridge coats. it is possible that a chief, senior chief or master chief could wear a bridge coat. i never saw one wearing one. i'm just saying that CPOs do wear pea coats and they have gold buttons.

The Peacoat Dating sticky has been revised to include the information given by you and by our Lt. Commander friend. Thank you for raising the issue and thanks to Commander Bstrickmma for researching it and linking to the Navy clothing regulations.

taiAtari

New in Town
WWII Peacoat

I'd like to thank Peacoat and everybody else in this thread and the dating sticky for the wealth of information on this great type of coat.

It certainly gave me the peacoat virus and I managed to acquire a 1969 model and, this week, a WWII 8 button type. I took a bit of a gamble on this one, regarding size and authenticity, but using the dating sticky I'm pretty sure it is an original WWII era peacoat. Although there is no sizing information in the jacket it is more or less similar in dimensions to my size 42 peacoat from 1969.

It needs a good drycleaning and some minor work on the lining at one armpit, but I'm very happy to get such a quality coat that's full of history in my size for a very low price (20 usd not including the substantial cost of shipping to the Netherlands).

I've added some pictures below:

n1068247015_30218466_4143373.jpg

n1068247015_30218465_2167278.jpg

n1068247015_30218467_716106.jpg

n1068247015_30218468_3951042.jpg

n1068247015_30218473_5923840.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Yep, you stole that one. I've never seen a WWII in good shape go for anywhere near that price. They are getting more difficult to find each year. Looks like that coat has another 60 years of wear left in it. Protect it from moths, and it will still be around long after you are gone.

BTW, welcome to the Lounge.

taiAtari

New in Town
Thanks, I realize I was very lucky. I think I'll try to get it included in an exhibition on Maritime Clothing and its influence on fashion. I work for the local History Museum and the neighbouring Maritime Museum is planning such an exhibition with our curator of Textiles and Fashion. It will probably be a picture on re-using surplus clothing though, since I really want to wear it.

taiAtari

New in Town
period colour photograph

I´m not sure if this has been posted before, but I stumbled on this amazing 1941 colour photograph of a sailor in his peacoat from LIFE magazine. It´s part of a series depicting US Navy uniforms.

c

McBrundlefly

New in Town
Peacoat said:
Is it still there? I looked for it without success.
It was in my eBay "Didn't Win" list for a while but unfortunately I deleted it. I bid $50 on it and it went from $25 or so to $303 in the last 20 seconds. The description went something like this:
eBay dude said:
My dad used to collect military uniforms. I pulled this off auction last week to do more research on it. Very difficult to date and authenticate. It might be a WWI pea coat, or it could be a replica made in the 30s or 40s. The pockets are lined with a cotton material. The only difference I see in this coat and the coats in pictures of sailors during WWI is that the flap pockets are about an inch closer to the buttons. I'm selling this as a vintage pea coat, $0.99 cents, no reserve.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks for finding and posting the link. That seller is honest and has a very good eye for detail. The pockets are a little closer to the front than the others I have seen Didn't notice until he pointed it out, though. The buttons are more worn than any others I have see, although they are correct. My guess is that it is an original.

Good find, and thanks again for taking the trouble to find the link.

McBrundlefly

New in Town
Does anyone know if WW2 bridgecoats have the same characteristics of WW2 peacoats like the zigzag stitching + chin strap on the collar and corduroy pockets? I have a bridgecoat labeled "Boston Uniform Co, Charlestown, Mass" that has the WW2 stitching and chin strap buttons (but no chin strap), but the pockets have a smooth lining instead of the striped corduroy. It is a really nice bridgecoat. Unfortunately it seems to be a size 36 which I'll probably never fit into because the shoulders aren't wide enough. Right now in peacoat size I'm 42 on account of being 50 pounds overweight and 38 is the smallest size that has big enough shoulders. I was thinking that perhaps only the naval clothing factory/depot bridgecoats had the corduroy, but to confuse things I have a 1950s "clothing supply office" peacoat that has smooth pockets. The material from that peacoat looks like corduroy without the stripes.

Peacoat

Bartender
McBrundlefly said:
Does anyone know if WW2 bridgecoats have the same characteristics of WW2 peacoats like the zigzag stitching + chin strap on the collar and corduroy pockets? I have a bridgecoat labeled "Boston Uniform Co, Charlestown, Mass" that has the WW2 stitching and chin strap buttons (but no chin strap), but the pockets have a smooth lining instead of the striped corduroy. It is a really nice bridgecoat. Unfortunately it seems to be a size 36 which I'll probably never fit into because the shoulders aren't wide enough. Right now in peacoat size I'm 42 on account of being 50 pounds overweight and 38 is the smallest size that has big enough shoulders. I was thinking that perhaps only the naval clothing factory/depot bridgecoats had the corduroy, but to confuse things I have a 1950s "clothing supply office" peacoat that has smooth pockets. The material from that peacoat looks like corduroy without the stripes.

Don't know about the bridgecoats, but the pocket lining in the 1950s peacoat doesn't have to have the stripes. I have one or two that have a light colored corduroy lining without the stripes.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Can anyone identify this 1942 dated peacoat?

Actually, I'm not sure this would be considered a peacoat - please enlighten me on exactly what it is.

It's made of a thick, heavy wool that is very blanket-like. Lined sleeves and partially lined body. The pockets are tightly woven denim. It shows some wear and the seams of the lining at the armpits are starting to go, but it's in otherwise really fine condition - no moth damage, no stains.

Lots of pics below should tell you more than I can.

Peacoat_front2CR.jpg

Stenciled or stamped on the pocket:

Peacoat_pocketDet2CR.jpg

Peacoat_backCR.jpg

Peacoat_collar1CR.jpg

Peacoat_collar2CR.jpg

Peacoat_strapCR.jpg

Peacoat_inside1CR.jpg

Peacoat_inside2CR.jpg

Peacoat_front1CR.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Canadian

I can tell you it's Canadian Military-
It has the "C" and "broad arrow"- the "C" for Canada and the "Broad Arrow",
the property symbol, used in British and Commonwealth military clothing and equipment.

I like the "Sterling Clothing Co." and the "£" for a logo.

I would say it is a Pea Coat.
Royal Canadian Navy, 1942.
Congratulations.

Next one-

B
T

STW

Familiar Face
Thanks BT. I'm wondering how I didn't know that the Canadian Navy used a grey pea coat. Now I going to have to do a little research on Canadian uniform in the various branches and see what else I'm missing.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Thanks for IDing the peacoat, BT. I thought it was prolly from some branch of the Canadian services since I found it here in Canada, but the grey color had me wondering just what branch. Didn't know the RCN used grey peacoats.

It fits me very nicely and I really like the way it looks, but I haven't yet decided if it's a keeper - I've already got more winter coats than closet space and if I keep it something else has to go.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well... maybe...

Well, since it's grey, I'm not so sure if it's from the RCN-
I was kinda thinking it was actually black or navy in colour and the camera/flash was making it so grey. Took it for granted.
So- still room for more educated guess-ery.

Keep on thinking.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24