Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions Concerning Panama Hats

deruitem

New in Town
Snapped brim?

Looking for a panama fedora. How come some show brim snapped down in front but don't say it in the description? Can you wear them however you want?

javadave61

Practically Family
I have a Panama question

I found a little hat shop today in downtown Harrisburg that sported some nice Panama hats. I can't for the life of me remember the brand, but these were beauties. The finest I've ever held. It wasn't the fineness of the weave as much as it was the finish and details. They were spectacular. The leather sweat was first class. Anyhow, the owner said that this was his go-to Panama supplier because of the stiffness of the finish. And I mean STIFF! He said he had too many issues with the softer Panama hats losing their shape, and these "last forever." He says his customers are much happier.

My question is, is there a downside to a stiff Panama? Or is softer better? My initial reaction is that this stiff Panama would be a treasure to own, but I'd hate to discover all the downsides later on. Not a fan of buyer's remorse!

Thanks everyone!

LeBois46

One of the Regulars
Stiff can have degrees. I have a BBB Montecristi Panama that is pretty firm, but I would not say stiff. I also have a less expensive Panama which I wear when I travel that is more firm, but will flex when pushed. I wonder what the reason the hats are so stiff? Is it because of a type of glue or other stiffening agent? What price range are we talking about?

Javadave61, I off to drink a nice espresso to think this over. :eusa_doh:

RJR

Stiff means many different things to different people,tough to discuss without having handled the hat(s).

job

One Too Many
I would be concerned with stiffness last. If you like everything else about the hat and it's price then that is whats most important.

LeBois46

One of the Regulars
QUERY FOLLOWUP If the reason for the stiffness is excess glue or some similar material, won't that make the hat a lot hotter? Due to restricted airflow?

job

One Too Many
A Shantung yes. On a tequila straw no. A expensive tight fine weave is hotter than a more open coarse weave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy