Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions Concerning Panama Hats

Barney

New in Town
I believe that I have read all of the threads on Panama hats, but due to the apparant thickness of my skull, some of the information doesn't seem to penetrate into my somewhat pale, grey matter. I'm hoping that some of you will be able to help me out.
I understand that Panama Bob is considered to be a great place from which to purchase a Panama hat. However, it seems as if some of our members purchase their hats from Panama Bob, and then send them to Mr. Fawcett for aditional shaping, or blocking, or otherwise special treatment. Would someone explain what the process is? Thanking everyone in advance, I'm just plain Barney.

HungaryTom

One Too Many

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Also for someone like me with an extra long oval, Art can fix it so it does not go all wavy when you put it on due to the shape of your head distorting a round hat.
Mine is going in the mail today!:D

Barney

New in Town
O.K. Almost there

Alright then. Does the hat which I would order from Panama Bob (for example) get sent to me, or does it go first to Mr. Fawcett? If each step is followed before the hat is sent to the customer (Me), is the price of the hat quoted by Panama Bob, include the work performed by Mr. Fawcett, or is it a two step process? Again, thanks.

Feraud

Bartender
HungaryTom said:
To turn an unblocked panama hat raw body:
http://strawhatsdirect.com/images/Large/panama-straw-Unblocked-straw-hat.jpg

Into one of these beauties, or any other style:
http://www.panamas.biz/mens/manyhats.jpg

Panamabob with unfinished and finished hats in Ecuador:
http://panamas.biz/robert2.jpg

Naturally certain styles can be produced only from certain (i.e. tall crown and wide brim) raw bodies

hope this helps.

Tom

I am confused. Aren't the hats for sale on panamabob's site already blocked and ready to wear?

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
If you order any hat from the website, we take care of the hat to and fro from start to finish. Art does (a great job, I might add) many hats for us and if you order anything in those particular styles, I'll get him the hat and he'll charge me the $.

Also, many buy unblocked hats and then send the hat for Art, or their hatter of choice, to finish.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
Also for someone like me with an extra long oval, Art can fix it so it does not go all wavy when you put it on due to the shape of your head distorting a round hat.
Mine is going in the mail today!:D
How ya gonna fit that fat oval head of yours in a package and send it off in the mail???:eek: :eek: :D :D :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
How ya gonna fit that fat oval head of yours in a package and send it off in the mail???:eek: :eek: :D :D :D
Ok smarty I was thinking of sending my Jaxon Bogart off to you since it has done nothing but collect dust since I got my Art hats but I can't find a box big enough!:rage: lol Uh wait a minute do you wear the same size!?:p ;)

Alx17

New in Town
Panama Hat Question *first timer*

Hello All,

I'm planning to buy a panama straw hat from Borsalino, and I was wondering whats the difference between a snap brim and a regular one? Is it possible to curve the hat to my liking? Thanks!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, I could have answered your question.:eusa_doh:

A snap brim will do just that, you just grab the front and "snap" it down. The regular brim is pretty floppy but you can still shape it.
Welcome to the lounge!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Nothing against Borsies, but you might want to start with a lower priced panama. They take getting used to in terms of what looks good on you, that kind of thing. Just my personal view.

As for the shapable brim, yes you could shape a regular brim. But be sure to get advice from those who have done it. Straw is not as forgiving as felt, I find.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, Alx17. You're getting good advice. I am a big fan of Borsalino's old ('30s - '50s) felt hats but their present offerings can be absurdly overpriced and of low quality actually.

PanamaBob (a member of this forum), Brent Black, and Optimo are worth shopping. Still a wide range of prices and styles but more honest value in my opinion.

Alx17

New in Town
Thanks all for the advice.

I actually bought and returned a Borso just recently as it was slightly small on me. You guys are right, the quality wasn't that great.

I'm also not use to fedora's as I felt the 2.5" brim was too long on me. I'm some what tall at 6'1" & slender and I've heard that shorter brims wont look good on me, but I have seen many people wearing the shorter brim hats (trilby)?

What do you guys think about a panama fedora with like a 2.2-3 inch brim?

Goose.

Practically Family
Alx17 said:
What do you guys think about a panama fedora with like a 2.2-3 inch brim?
Well, I guess they're ok :rolleyes:

Am working with Panama Bob on something with a wider brim. So, that implied recommendation; work with Panama Bob. Or Brent Black. My opinion is biased as they are the only two Panama dealers I have directly communicated with....but when you can deal with the best, who needs the rest? The Fuji was a dear gift. I also have three other hats with wider brims but you asked about short.

A good place to check out for pics and advice from those that will forget more than I will ever learn, is the Panama Canal thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=327454#post327454

I'm 6' even and tubby...hovering around 200 lbs. Here is a Fuji Cuenca 1.75" and Brent Black Fino at 2.5".

591456288_UFivh-S.jpg
601625553_wawj8-S.jpg

And, "WELCOME" :)

Paul-ette

Familiar Face
Paul's

Heyo,

If you're still looking for a panama, you should come by my shop, Paul's Hat Works, in San Francisco and chat with us. We are producing two grades of panama hats, fino from montechristi, and also a lower grade straw from Cuenca so that we can offer a lower price point. If you have any questions give us a ring at 415.221.5332 or email at howdy@hatworksbypaul.com,

Good luck with your search,

~ Paulette

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
If you're close to Paulette (or any other shop) a visit is definitely a good idea! Buying a hat in person is always preferable to mail order.

Smaller brims seem to be rather rare this year on panamas. Still, they are around if you do some digging. Also, I notice Milan straws are easier to find in the 2 inch area.

As for brim size rules, it's more about build and face shape. And the rules don't work for everyone, anyway. Especially with a light colored hat. They tend to look bigger than dark hats.

Goose.

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
If you're close to Paulette (or any other shop) a visit is definitely a good idea! Buying a hat in person is always preferable to mail order.

Smaller brims seem to be rather rare this year on panamas. Still, they are around if you do some digging. Also, I notice Milan straws are easier to find in the 2 inch area.

As for brim size rules, it's more about build and face shape. And the rules don't work for everyone, anyway. Especially with a light colored hat. They tend to look bigger than dark hats.
I agree with all that N-B13 stated. Go to a hat shop and try some hats out to see how they look on you. I, personally, do not think stingy brims work for me, but I like them nonetheless. My mom dresses me funny.

Being what you stated as your "first"; DEFINITELY go to a shop and try before you buy. Even if you decide to order via mail later, at least you will know what feels right on, and to, you.

Go to a "real" hat shop. Meaning, not one of those mall gigs where people don't know what they don't know about hats. Someone that knows hats as a business will be very helpful.

if you are anywhere close to SF, check out Paulette's shop, Fino Fino, or both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21