Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions, questions

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
Hi there!

So, I'm fairly new to the scene and I have a few questions, none of which are about hair! :) (I've spent an obsene amount of time going through all the old posts front to back and have had most of my questions on that subject answered)

Anyway, so I'm a "curvier" gal, being around a modern size 18 or so, and also quite well endowed in the bust (my cups runneth over, so to speak :) ) and I'm discovering it to be a rather difficult task to find vintage clothes that will fit, and not many of the folks that sell reproductions make them much larger than a 14 or 16... my sewing skills leave much to be desired (but I'm trying real hard!) and I'm not quite sure if you can alter a pattern to be bigger?

I'm wondering if any of the ladies here are curvier, and face the same problem. Do you end up making your own stuff? How do you alter a pattern to make it bigger? I'm sure the last question will require much more time to explain than anyone has available... I suppose all I really want to know is if its really difficult to do.

Darnit, I was visiting my grandmother today who is about the same size and shape as me when she was my age in the 1940's... AND she has a big foot... I'm horribly upset that she didnt save any of her old clothes or shoes... I could have been outfitted :) I did go digging in the basement and found her old sewing machine from probably the late 50's... (its the most awesome powder blue color and the foot pedal is shell pink) she let me have it, except when I got it home and plugged it in it nearly exploded! whoops... setting my apartment on fire is NOT a good idea. :)

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. I really love this place it is a plethora of information! Cant wait to get to know yall better!

-Jess

Bewitched65

New in Town
Hi Jess!
Well I'm a size 12/14/bust D and also have problems with vintage clothing.I have been collecting old patterns for a while now and will soon try to sew something not so hard.In sewing books they show how to make patterns larger.The 40's sizes are different than now, usually they went after body measurements,at least that's how they did it in Germany,or size I/II which I still need to find out what this is.

Dagmar

SwingCat123

New in Town
I too am curvy, even more so after the birth of my daughter 4 months ago. Im betweena modern 16 and 18 but am hoping that with time I can at least get back to 12-14 if not further. I am finding it hard to find vintage stuff in our sizes but worse than that is that few people bother to make repo large enough either. I have found that searching on ebay for plus or by size (XL/2X/XXL) filters out the size 2s and such. Those selling vintage plus know that they have a market for it so they usually advertise this fact.

I was fortunate enough to have both a grandmother and mother who taught me how to sew at least enough to make a simple dress and with practice I hope to become good enough to make everything I want (hey, I can dream cant I?) I hope my girl doesnt mind crooked/ill fitting dresses while I relearn everything.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
*joins the doesnt fit in vintage club*

I am learning to make my own stuff, yes.....

Try Vintage vogue patterns....although they run -big- in my experience....I made a whole dress, which according to their measurements, should have been a good fit...and it turned out to be mumu sized on me.....possibly my bad sewing skills, but I don't think I could be that far off.

Other then that...do try ebay, because there are a few things on there...you just have to keep looking.

decodoll

Practically Family
The big commercial pattern companies are notorious for putting way too much ease in modern patterns. I've never used one, but heard that they even put ease in their corset patterns!:confused: I usually buy one size smaller than what the size chart indicates, but if you are going to try this I would make a muslin first to try it out.

I'd recommend this company, http://www.decadesofstyle.com. I took a class on the history of vintage patterns with them on Sunday, and they are fabulous. I got to see samples of all the patterns made up... so much fun! They take vintage patterns and resize them from 30 bust to 55 bust, but unlike the big companies, they keep the original fit. I'll be starting the 1930 Kitchenette pattern soon. :) Also, if you have any problems with your project, they say to just call or email them.

ladyk

Familiar Face
thank you kindly for posting that link decodoll, I see a considerable amount of money being spent over there...

Wxxx

Bewitched65

New in Town
I have in one of my old pattern magazines directions (pictures),how to make patterns larger,I need to find that particular one and then I try, well , my husband :) to scan and post it!

Dagmar

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I'm one of the curvy gals too around a size 14 with a D cup and finding cute vintage clothes is very difficut. I have gone on ebay and there's a vintage shop in Foreston, TX that I've had some luck at. I also have the big feet dilemma (size 11) and finding vintage shoes in my size is next to impossible and when I do, they go for way more than I care to pay for something that's been worn. If it were deadstock, I might pay more if they were really cute though.

In fact, a while I bought a brown top with white polka dots, that is a little big on me, although my mom insisted it looked cute and fit fine. It'd be adorable with some white/cream pants. I may put it on ebay this summer. If interested I can dig around for it and take measurements of it for you if you think you might be intersted.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Vogue repro vintage

In the last couple of weeks I checked out the vintage vogue patterns available online. I have mostly made kids costumes in the past but they were pretty detailed pieces like southern belle dresses. I am considering taking a tailoring class (right, I have so much spare time for that) and trying some of those patterns myself. My sewing skills came about through osmosis from my Mom who has made numerous wedding dresses for friends and relatives.

My big concern there is....Can you really measure yourself properly? Perhaps I will just see if I can get baronboutique.com to make me something....

~~Barbigirl

Skari Spice

New in Town
AtomicBlonde said:
Anyway, so I'm a "curvier" gal, being around a modern size 18 or so, and also quite well endowed in the bust (my cups runneth over, so to speak :) ) and I'm discovering it to be a rather difficult task to find vintage clothes that will fit, and not many of the folks that sell reproductions make them much larger than a 14 or 16... my sewing skills leave much to be desired (but I'm trying real hard!) and I'm not quite sure if you can alter a pattern to be bigger?

Hi Jess,

I know exactly what you mean - I'm a modern size 14 with DD bosoms (which I despise) and I can rarely find vintage clothing in my size... and for me to sew would be laughable (even though my mom is practically a pro, but she's a long drive). I'm new to this forum, so I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but have you looked at Daddy-O's? They make they most fabulous retro reproduction clothing in ALL sizes, some even go up to 3X (and I personally thought that they even run a little big). It's pretty expensive, but very well made.

I also wished that my grandmother (pictured in my avatar) would've saved her clothing! She was curvy like me too and had the BEST style! But she hasn't saved anything, not even her old costume jewelry that I loved as a kid. Sigh.

And keep searching antique stores. I've found two vintage dresses that fit me like they were tailored for me. ME! A size 14 with big bosoms!

- Kari

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
Skari Spice said:
Hi Jess,

I know exactly what you mean - I'm a modern size 14 with DD bosoms (which I despise) and I can rarely find vintage clothing in my size... and for me to sew would be laughable (even though my mom is practically a pro, but she's a long drive). I'm new to this forum, so I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but have you looked at Daddy-O's? They make they most fabulous retro reproduction clothing in ALL sizes, some even go up to 3X (and I personally thought that they even run a little big). It's pretty expensive, but very well made.

I also wished that my grandmother (pictured in my avatar) would've saved her clothing! She was curvy like me too and had the BEST style! But she hasn't saved anything, not even her old costume jewelry that I loved as a kid. Sigh.

And keep searching antique stores. I've found two vintage dresses that fit me like they were tailored for me. ME! A size 14 with big bosoms!

- Kari

Kari,
yeah, I know what you mean... I'm a DD too, with rather wide "baby birthin" hips, and a small waist. I have a really curvy, hourglass figure... and what I find is that a lot of the dresses will either fit my waist and hips, but not my top... or my top and waist but not my hips. I have the same problem with modern clothing, too. Most of my jeans are tight in the hips and thighs but I've got like 3 inches or more of spare fabric in the waist. It drives me batty.... and dont even get me started on those stupid low waist jeans.

I've been to daddy-os, and I've seen a few things that I like but holy cow... I'm a college student, so I cant quite spend that much money on a dress right now.

I'm going to hopefully start out with a few easy modern patterns to get myself more comfortable using the sewing machine, and then branch out from there... baby steps. :) I can knit up a storm, but sewing is still a little scary.

Anyway, I'm just going to keep looking, keep trying stuff on, keep playing with the sewing machine and keep dancing! (Maybe going out swing dancing 3 or more days a week will help trim an inch or two off these hips of mine!)

Have a great day!

-Jess

SwingCat123

New in Town
Skari Spice said:
have you looked at Daddy-O's? They make they most fabulous retro reproduction clothing in ALL sizes, some even go up to 3X (and I personally thought that they even run a little big). It's pretty expensive, but very well made.
The repo dresses at Daddy-O's are mostly from Stop Staring and I agree that they are a bit pricy, though I have found that they are well made.

I myself would prefer to make my own clothes but finding patterns is difficult for me. I have found a few online but on ebay I have been outbid for the ones I really want. I find it especially challenging to find patterns for basics like blouses. If anyone finds any feel free to PM me.
AtomicBlonde said:
I have the same problem with modern clothing, too. Most of my jeans are tight in the hips and thighs but I've got like 3 inches or more of spare fabric in the waist. It drives me batty.... and dont even get me started on those stupid low waist jeans.
I have that same problem with my pants and I know just how you feel about the low waist fad.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Hi, ladies!

I have been sewing all my life (since I was 7!) and one thing I would suggest is to get one of those dress forms that can be adjusted for your own measurements. It makes a world of difference to be able to fit something on a form that is shaped just like you are! Also,Vogue patterns in general tend to be a bit more difficult, especially those which involve a lot of fitting and tailoring--common to vintage looking garments. For beginner seamstresses it would probably be a lot less frustrating to start with one of the more basic patterns! Also, if you look at a basic form of an outfit you like, with practice you will learn to change collar shapes, sleeve lengths, etc. Most "How to Sew" books will show you (with pictures) how to increase the pattern for bust, waist, and hips. I would look for modern day patterns of a shape that is closest to what you want, preferably in the "Simple to Sew" or "Quick and Easy" section of the pattern books, focusing on some aspect of it that looks vintage enough for you. Then I would pay careful attention to the fabric so it carries the outfit, so to speak, and looks vintage. Finally, use embellishments such as lace, braid, buttons, etc. that give it even more of a vintage feel. With all of your cute hairstyles, make-up and accessories, you will certainly start feeling very vintage indeed! Good luck, girls!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo