Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quirky Shirt Design?

wintergreen

New in Town
I have several late 40's early 50's shirts and quite a few of them have what appears to be a quirky design - being a piece of tape sewn from the collarband at the back of the shirt.
Was there a purpose for this or was it just some kind of fashion thing? It has always puzzled me.
The shirts are made by various manufacturers including Cottela, Van Heusen and Collars Ltd.
I cant think of any reason for the tape so was just wondering what other Loungers may think it was for.
Picture029.jpg

Bugsy

One Too Many
wintergreen said:
I have several late 40's early 50's shirts and quite a few of them have what appears to be a quirky design - being a piece of tape sewn from the collarband at the back of the shirt.
Was there a purpose for this or was it just some kind of fashion thing? It has always puzzled me.
The shirts are made by various manufacturers including Cottela, Van Heusen and Collars Ltd.
I cant think of any reason for the tape so was just wondering what other Loungers may think it was for.
Picture029.jpg

I think I was told once that these are locker loops. One is supposed to hang the shirts by the loops when one goes to the gym where there are usually no hangers.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That could be. It does seem odd, however, that they are so long and that they are vertically oriented.

I had a thought: These look like quite old garments. Obviously they are for use with detachable collars and you can see button holes where they can be fastened.

Now, imagine a tuxedo style waistcoat - you know the kind with no actual back but which comes together behind your neck. If that part of such a waistcoat were captured within this loop, it would keep it from riding up over the back of the collar.

Wild guess. What do others think? [huh]

draws

Practically Family
Shirt Design

These loops are not for hanging the shirt. These shirts were designed for detachable collars and backless waistcoat. Once the collar is attached, the bow tie or four-in-hand-tie and the top waistcoat strap are threaded through this loop to prevent the tie and waistcoat straps from riding up on the back of the collar. This prevents the tie and waistcoat strap from showing above the jacket collar for a clean collar look at all times. Hope this helps.

PS - These shirts are beautifull and would be a great look with a white fold down or wing collar. Please show us photos of them in use when you have a chance.

wintergreen

New in Town
draws said:
These loops are not for hanging the shirt. These shirts were designed for detachable collars and backless waistcoat. Once the collar is attached, the bow tie or four-in-hand-tie and the top waistcoat strap are threaded through this loop to prevent the tie and waistcoat straps from riding up on the back of the collar. This prevents the tie and waistcoat strap from showing above the jacket collar for a clean collar look at all times. Hope this helps.

PS - These shirts are beautifull and would be a great look with a white fold down or wing collar. Please show us photos of them in use when you have a chance.

Thanks for the input guys :)
I had never considered the loops could be for a waistcoat. It was something that had always puzzled me, I wasnt sure if it served a purpose or not.

I have around a dozen of these shirts with the loops which are worn regular with day collars, I have the original semi-stiff collars for some of them but preffer plain white soft collars for everyday use although I do wear them without collars now and then.

draws

Practically Family
wintergreen said:
I have around a dozen of these shirts with the loops which are worn regular with day collars, I have the original semi-stiff collars for some of them but preffer plain white soft collars for everyday use although I do wear them without collars now and then.
wintergreen, where do you get your white soft collars? I have looked around but most of them are the stiff variation. I'm looking for some that are washable and will last longer than a couple of wears. Any suggestions? Thanks

wintergreen

New in Town
The soft collars I like the most were a lucky ebay bid about 5 years ago,
I bid and won what I thought was going to be 4 collars for peanuts, when they arrived there were 12 collars with a note from the seller saying they had found some more collars tucked away in a drawer and sent those along too.

If you are a size 16 I could spare you a couple if they are the style you are looking for.
DSCF0684Medium.jpg

draws

Practically Family
wintergreen said:
If you are a size 16 I could spare you a couple if they are the style you are looking for.
DSCF0684Medium.jpg
Most definitely! I have two 15 1/2" collarless shirts I just purchased and will be looking for collars. I'll PM you shortly. Best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters