Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Sorry- not this year, Root. Can I take a raincheck? I'll be living stateside again next year and won't have to suffer a 14 hour plane flight to get across the Pacific Ocean! I really wish I could though! The Queen Mary is a beautiful ship and I want to meet everybody!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ghos7a55assin said:
Sorry- not this year, Root. Can I take a raincheck? I'll be living stateside again next year and won't have to suffer a 14 hour plane flight to get across the Pacific Ocean! I really wish I could though! The Queen Mary is a beautiful ship and I want to meet everybody!
:cry:

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Ralph Lauren Purple Label

Yes- $3000 for an off-the-rack suit is a little much, but I think Ralph is getting the looks right, atleast for the jackets. The pants are still cut much too tight in the thighs and low on the hips, but that's the high fashion look right now.
If you go to the Polo Purple Label web-site you can see a few of their Fall looks. I'm seeing many, many more double breasted and three-piece suits. Some of the models are even wearing hats! Personally, I think his double-breasted jackets are almost spot on 30's- high and wide 6x2 button stance with more waist suppression, cut short. Another look that was big was layering a Fair Isle sweater under a DB jacket- very 30's Esquire.

Ralph Lauren Purple Label

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Yeah they are certainly getting there, not gonna start buying Polo till they get their look "just right" ya know?

Still a fan of their shirts hehe

S

Samsa

I have a rather cheap, off the rack Ralph Lauren suit that works quite well. It's a dark grey pinstripe. I would post pictures, but I got rid of them.:eusa_doh:

Went into the flagship store here in NY today. Tried on a double-breasted vest and a few jackets from the 3-piece suits. What's sad about RL is that they ALMOST get it right - all they have to do is pick up those armholes and they'd have perfect vintage-style suits.

When I saw the chalk stripe 3-piece on the mannekin, I immediately went over and stuck my hand under the armpit. It seemed high and so I asked the clerk if they were going back to higher cut. 'No,' he said, 'that's just the way it's pinned.' I refrained from the obvious question of 'Well if it's pinned to make it look like that, why can't they just make it like that?'

The double-breasted vest was done in Prince of Wales and had the lapels, but the button were asymetrically affixed so they formed an askew 'V'. which lead your eye to your right trouser pocket. Who would design something like this? Again, almost right. Why couldn't they just make a normal 'V' that points down to the trousers? What's this obsession with new ways of thinking? Just get the old ways done right and I'd be happy.

I also went into Bergdorf Goodman's today. I'm still trying to forget the horrors I saw in the Thomas Browne section.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
I don't know, but spending $3000 on a purple label suit sounds slightly batty to me. :eusa_doh:

As we all know you can have a bespoke suit made for that kind of money and a very good off-the-peg-made-to-measure for a lot less.

It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
;)

RC

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I picked up a copy of Menswear Magazine and happily looked at the Ralph Lauren suit on the cover. It's a good composition of patterns and colors. The jackets pretty nice. I looked at the other side of the cover and saw the trousers and it's that qualm I have with Ralph's higher end off the rack stuff. The trousers are too narrow. They are grabbing the models ankle and would probably work better if they had no break. Looking further in the magazine yo see Robert Bryan wearing a suit from 1933. The trousers have a nice wide leg. Fitted jacket and wider legs... it's more comfortable and it just looks better. Mr Lauren... please widen your legs on your suit trousers.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
I picked up a copy of Menswear Magazine and happily looked at the Ralph Lauren suit on the cover. It's a good composition of patterns and colors. The jackets pretty nice. I looked at the other side of the cover and saw the trousers and it's that qualm I have with Ralph's higher end off the rack stuff. The trousers are too narrow. They are grabbing the models ankle and would probably work better if they had no break. Looking further in the magazine yo see Robert Bryan wearing a suit from 1933. The trousers have a nice wide leg. Fitted jacket and wider legs... it's more comfortable and it just looks better. Mr Lauren... please widen your legs on your suit trousers.

IS athere any way you can post a picture of the suit Robert Bryan was wearing? He told me over the summer that he bought that suit from the daughter of a New York City detective.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
He recently unveiled his 2007 fashions.

What do you think?

Great Gatsby 1970's?

The trousers aren't bellled. It lookes good... I just want the wider legs and high armholes.

00010m.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay