Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I've been a bit impressed while looking at some of the Polo Ralph Lauren clothes... Particularly in the Polo line.

Accept for the shirt and belt, this 3 button peaked lapel suit looks old school. Too bad they charge a leg and a leg for the Polo label.

pPOLO1-1436460_lifeorstandard_v330.jpg

rayk

Familiar Face
RL Purple Label prices get even worse...but I must say that if you are tall and thin and don't require extreme alterations to RTW clothing, some RL Purple Label garments are terrific.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, that is a nice looking suit for this day and age. But Matt?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s right about the price! You can get something better made and more authentic looking for the same price if you go to a tailor.

Or, you can hold out and shop till you drop and find an original garment from the period for a fraction of the price! Plus, you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll be wearing history as well. That parts missing with the look alike stuff
;)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Very classic. I still like his stuff. That is how a suit should fit. Very American, close at the shoulders and close to the body.

The 40's suits were broader in the shouolder and aimed more for a good drape. The 30's were into the fit.This is modern, though it looks "tight" (good) -- and with the brown shoes the outfit is finished.

pPOLO2-1424789_standard_dt.jpg

android

One of the Regulars
I would wear dark brown shoes like that with a navy suit, but they look a bit odd to me with charcoal grey. They have be that nice deep brown that has a lot of red in it. I have a pair of AE cap toes that are just right.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Me, I like the Saddle shoes in the first pic- just like mine, they're great casual shoes actually- the trousers could me a bit more spacious and keep the taper. The second suit just looks pretty much like a blah... suit- no real styling and just looks really wrong on that model.
My opinion.

BellyT.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
::Insert Ren's Rant #1 on how men should dress...::

I'm all in favor of guys dressing the way they want to dress... but seeing what goes for high style or fasism... I mean fashion leaves something to be desired.

With the exeption of the men who post here... those men in The Golden Era were a diffrent bred of folks then the livestock we see today. They could dress like that and be tough, sophisticated and a gentleman at the same time.

Mycroft

One Too Many
I don't remeber where I read it, but RL is picking up Golden Era influeces for their suits. Any how go to a talor for that amount of money, plus there is nothing like a custom suit.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, today's models make suits look sissy. I think it's their long hair and such. We need to see models that look tough and put them in the suits and then BAM! You'll have the good look. But, today if you wear a suit and are clean cut, they call you a mobster or what ever. It's stupid! Don't some people know any thing?

Root.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
For folks like me that live in the hinterlands, where tailors are not to be had, Polo Ralph Lauren neverthess is available through Ebay.

I have a very nice double-brested Polo Ralph Lauren blazer, used but in excellent condition. I think I only paid $50 for it - I'm sure I paid less than $100.

Of course, in Ebay, you have to take what is offered and may have to wait awhile before something within both your price range and your stylistic preferences comes along.

If and when I win the lottery, of course I will fly my chartered plane to London to have Savile Row make my suits to order. Until, then, however, I'm actually doing pretty well.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Another way to get inexpensive Ralph Lauren products is Sierra Trading Post.

http://www.sierrratradingpost.com

Sierra Trading Post offers overstock, seconds, and other surplus items from major vendors incuding Barbour, Isaia, Allen Edmunds (as well as a number of other firms which, frankly, I have never heard of). You can get 30 to 70 percent discounts on brand new items.

Ralph Lauren is often available there.

I have a Lauren by Ralph Lauren topcoat which I purchased from them for either $150 or $250.

(Could somebody give a "Ralph Lauren for Dummies" lecture. There's Polo by Ralph Lauren, Purple by Ralph Lauren, Lauren by Ralph Lauren, and who knows what else. I understand it's like Chevrolet to Pontiac to Oldsmobile to Buidk to Cadillac, but I don't know which is which).

It's been a while since I shopped for any Ralph Lauren stuff at Sierra Trading Post. It used to be that, for some reason, you couldn't draw up all the Ralph Lauren stuff by typing in "Lauren" in the search. (You can draw up all the Barbour stuff, for example, by typing in "Barbour" and generally the same for other firms.) Instead, you had to search for, say, "topcoats," whereupon the Lauren topcoat would be displayed as one of the options.

4Mica

New in Town
Lauren by Ralph Lauren= Bottom of the line, licensed out clothing.
Polo by Ralph Lauren (Blue Label)= A step up in quality but still fused contruction on jackets.
Polo Collection by Ralph Lauren= Another step up.
(New)Polo Black Label= A new very slim clothing line, another step up.
Polo Purple Label= Top of the line, quality clothing, very expensive at retail. Shoes are made by Edward Green (England), Suits and Shirts are made by two different high quality Italian makers.

This is off the top of my head, I just read an unauthorized biography of Ralph Lifshitz, aka Ralph Lauren. If any has better info please correct me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy