Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren

benstephens

Practically Family
I agree, looking at the latest stock in the New Bond Street store, the cut and design of the clothing was actually rather good, however, as soon as they were picked up, it was evident that the material was not really of a heavy enough weight to actually suit the clothing styles it had been applied to.

Ben

PenMan

Familiar Face
Not trying to be disagreeable, but I am ever grateful for modern fabrics. I couldn't get through winter in most vintage suits, much less summer or autumn.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
PenMan said:
I couldn't get through winter in most vintage suits
Well actually, if vintage fabrics fell short it would have been for those produced for the warmer climes.

PenMan

Familiar Face
Tomasso--I think we're saying the same thing. Is your point that vintage wool tends to be heavy, while modern fabrics, 100s, 120s, etc. are much lighter and therefore better suited to warm weather? My observation is that better quality modern wool fabrics are durable, light and drape reasonably well. Thus I can wear a modern suit to work almost all year around (though I rarely wear a tie to work, largely because of the heat issue [I use a pocket silk for colour instead]).

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Vintage summer fabrics are heavier than modern winter fabrics. It's not just the heft it's the stiffness of the wool. The modern ones tend to wrinkle much easier. The coolness factor seams to be negated in some cases because the weave of some of the vintage suits is looser allowing air to come through. this isn't always the case but I think I get colder in the vintage suits than i do in the modern for the fact that they are weaved tighter though are a less dense material.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I didn't check to see if this question has been asked, but how hard (or easy) is it to find Ralph Lauren purple label items in thrift and charity shops? Wouldn't seem like everyone wore their clothes, unlike vintage items, where they were made by different sources and were more common in their prime.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Got this yesterday at the ralph outlet. Should be good for spring and summer.
it's washable cotton, with a corded-type texture to it. Pleated patch pocket, skeleton lined. Drapey. The armholes could be better.
IMG_09821.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
yeah, same here, because it really looks like it should be. I liked the green and blue bold striped summer jacket as well, but I couldn't see myself having the occasion of wearing it that much.

Feraud

Bartender
Dinerman said:
Got this yesterday at the ralph outlet. Should be good for spring and summer.
it's washable cotton, with a corded-type texture to it. Pleated patch pocket, skeleton lined. Drapey. The armholes could be better.
IMG_09821.jpg
Dinerman did you find the jacket ran true to size?
I saw the jacket at at Burlington Coat Factory and tried it on. The body seemed to run small. A 44 was tight on me. I am a 42.
Had it fit I would have bought it. The styling looks great, shoulders were soft, and it has surgeon's cuffs. Very nice find.

Feraud

Bartender
I purchased a sb three button wool/cashmere suit from an RL outlet. It cost a little over a hundred bucks. Not a bad price in this economy.
Unfortunately I cannot locate the pics in my photobucket account...

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
benstephens said:
I agree, looking at the latest stock in the New Bond Street store, the cut and design of the clothing was actually rather good, however, as soon as they were picked up, it was evident that the material was not really of a heavy enough weight to actually suit the clothing styles it had been applied to.

Ben

That is the biggest problem with clothing today in general. Suiting should not be lighter and gentler than khaki.

I am pretty keen on some of the RRL and Rugby wears... just wish they'd make them fit me.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Rugby's wool suits arent bad at all. But they are definitely a more narrow modern cut. Stick with the winter styles if you want substantial weight fabric.
And the sweaters are quite hardy.
I wouldve bought a suit, but my preference wasnt in stock that day.
Still its a nice shop to pick up club collar shirts and various other accessories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran