Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RCA Victor - What's a good model to choose?

OldSouthernGent

New in Town
I'm really serious about buying an original RCA Victor, and I know the basics of what I want in it. However, I know there are different models, features, etc.

Can anybody reccomend a good site for researching the above?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
RCA Victor what? Radio? Record Player? You're asking a very broad question. Can you be more specific? Is there a particular time frame of manufacture you're interested in?

Rathdown

Practically Family
I'd suggest a Victor Velox 50 X as an excellent electrola complete with record changer. Or were you thinking of a black and white television?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Floor model or tabletop?

A good Victrola will run you $400 to $600 -- that assumes the soundbox has been professionally rebuilt. Because the rubber gaskets deteriorate with age, without a rebuilt soundbox, you won't get anywhere near the sound quality the machine was designed to produce, so a rebuild is a necessity if you intend to use it.

You'll find a complete model-by-model discussion of Victrolas from the founding of the company in 1901 to the buyout by RCA in 1929 at this site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo