Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re-bash the Stylemaster?

rrog

A-List Customer
I'm just curious, but has anyone ever re-bashed their Stylemaster? I have one and have thought about it. It's not considered an open crown hat, so would it really mess it up if I tried to reshape it?

rrog

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
I dont know about this one, but both my Akubra, a Banjo Paterson and a Leisure Time, responded very well to steam and manipulation by hand.
Bashing and re-bashiong is what I like to do most with my hats, other than wearing them.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I immediately deepened the front dents on mine, going all the way down to the band, without using water or anything. They stayed fine - see the picture I just posted on the I Love the Fed IV thread.

The shape of the top seems pretty firm. Changing the teardrop bash would require water or steam, but should work.

I will say that my Stylemaster is definitely softer than my Federation III (or my Stockman or Cattleman, which obviously have a good deal of stiffener in the felt). Even after five years of wear, including a fair amount of rain and snow, the Federation felt is still essentially stiff and unyielding. The Stylemaster was much softer from day one.

rrog said:
I'm just curious, but has anyone ever re-bashed their Stylemaster? I have one and have thought about it. It's not considered an open crown hat, so would it really mess it up if I tried to reshape it?

rrog
Well, they all start out open crown, some just leave Akubra that way & some don't. I have an old Dallas that left Akubra in a telescope crease. All I did was soak it with distilled water & pushed it out to an open crown, then re-creased to more of a Snowy River look. You can always crease it back to what it was before. They usually readily go back easily. Sunlight may fade parts that look a little funny at first but use will fade newly exposed felt eventually.

rrog

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
They usually readily go back easily. Sunlight may fade parts that look a little funny at first but use will fade newly exposed felt eventually.

Thanks and yeah, that's the type of thing I was curious about. DS, I notice your dents go down farther than mine do. That's one of the things I'd like to change. And I like a little tighter pinch on the front too. I like wearing the Stylemaster because it's more comfortable than the Fed IV I've got. But in its current shape, I just don't feel it's the best looking hat that I have.

Good answers gents,
rrog

memphislawyer

Practically Family
As soon as Sam at EA contacts me, Im ordering a Stylemaster. Take pics if you rebash, as I may want to. A guy in Nashville here has one, so three Tennesseans with Stylemasters. Styling and profiling in the Volunteer State

Woof! Woof!

rrog said:
So you think red would be better? I think not...

rrog
No Black but with a Red ribbon!!! :D
BlackORred2.jpg

elvisroe

A-List Customer
rebashed

I'm afraid you can;t make it out too clearly in this pic but I did a serious remodel on the stylemaster I got for my daughter.

It was bashed into a really low porkpie when I found it so I punched it out and gave it some serious time over the kettle!

cailliehat3.jpg

I found there's not too much crown to work with but it looks good with a loose centre-dent and easily goes back there after she's pulled it down over he ears!

rrog

A-List Customer
Here are the final results of my re-bash of the Stylemaster:

0902091440.jpg
0902091433-1.jpg

0902091442a.jpg
0902091440a.jpg

0902091436.jpg
0902091447-1.jpg

I'm still trying to get used to it. The side dents seem awfully radical. I'm almost thinking they go too far back. But I'll wear it a while and see if I grow accustomed to it and if not, I can always make more changes.
rrog

CRH

Call Me a Cab
rrog said:

I'm still trying to get used to it. The side dents seem awfully radical. I'm almost thinking they go too far back.......make more changes.
rrog

Agreed on the side dents - you've pushed the taper too far. How about moving your diamond further forward - give it more of a 'square box' shape. This will put some boundaries on your side dents and open up the crown.

I'm really starting to like this hat!

Thanks, rrog! :eusa_clap

RBH

Bartender
CRH said:
Agreed on the side dents - you've pushed the taper too far. How about moving your diamond further forward - give it more of a 'square box' shape. This will put some boundaries on your side dents and open up the crown.

:arated:
I agree

CRH said:

I, too, am with CRH that you've got the sides too long on your diamond. I like long side dents, ala the photo Rusty has of Jimmy Stewart's movie hat. Think more of a baseball diamond or an askew box as CRH suggested. It should become less drastic to you Rev.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I'd suggest opening up that front pinch just a little. You've got a fairly square face & the front pinch came out looking a little too pointy. I'll be interested in seeing how it looks if you follow the suggestions of these other fellows. Bear in mind that I'm awfully fond of the Stylemaster as it comes out of the box, but I do think the diamond may work very well on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats