Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re-sewing a suit button

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Anyone know the technique to get the knotted stand-off that's used on front closure and anchor buttons? My white dinner jacket unfortunately lost its anchor button and I've got to replace it before the weekend.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Beat me to it, KittyT! I thought I had that bookmarked but didn't and had to go find it. I could have saved myself the trouble by waiting a few minutes! :eusa_doh: lol

Cheers,
Tom

The Wingnut

One Too Many
All fixed! Worked like a charm. I found it easier to sew on with the matchstick under the button instead of on top of it, however.

DerMann

Practically Family
I don't suppose anyone has advice on how to sew brass blazer buttons? They seem to detach themselves at lease once a month.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Use strong thread, a double thickness.
Put a small button on the reverse side (inside the jacket) and sew through its holes too - it will reinforce and save the fabric from getting a hole.
Two or three times through the shank, then bring the thread back out to the right side and wrap around the sewing three times, then back to the back side and tie off.
Also, check the shank of the button before sewing to see if it has any rough or sharp edges - you can sand them down with some sandpaper wrapped around a nail...

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Looking at the first link again, I realized that it's easier to put the matchstick on top of the button if you're sewing all the way through the suit. I had to go through one layer of fabric, since the button was on the inside and the original had not been sewn through the outer layer of fabric. This made it difficult to sew and hold the match in place, and maneuver the needle around the button...so I put the matchstick under the button, which gave me room to work. If I had been sewing through all the layers, I probably would have done it just like the example.

Jovan

Suspended
Miss 1929 said:
Use strong thread, a double thickness.
Put a small button on the reverse side (inside the jacket) and sew through its holes too - it will reinforce and save the fabric from getting a hole.
Two or three times through the shank, then bring the thread back out to the right side and wrap around the sewing three times, then back to the back side and tie off.
Also, check the shank of the button before sewing to see if it has any rough or sharp edges - you can sand them down with some sandpaper wrapped around a nail...
Thanks for the advice!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Miss 1929 said:
I do this with my cardigan sweaters.:)

Idledame

Practically Family
You can buy "buttonhole twist" thread which is much sturdier than regular thread, but most metal buttons will wear through the thread faster than plastic buttons will. Get in the habit of checking them regularly, before or after the garment is cleaned, so you won't have any surprises or lost buttons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran