Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoy's USA web store open

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Where could I find more info on this?

EDIT: Never mind. It's called 'Speed Master'. Neat jacket.

unique design... but can't say I like the fit based on these pics.

4gcbKW7.jpg

zYfOLzn.jpg

this one is oversize, but then look better on the body
F1hv4es.jpg

Attachments

• 20130318026.jpg
    20130318026.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 932
  • 9b98ab66.jpg
    9b98ab66.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,026

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Freewheelers' Brakeman is outstanding!!!

f1dd2310-s.jpg

If I did not already own a Himel Canuck, I would buy the Brakeman in a heartbeat -- I might still get a Brakeman, notwithstanding the similarity to the Canuck.

Blackadder

Some if not all of Freewheeler's leather jackets are quite accurate repros of Leathertogs.
RM got the Buco, Toys McCoy has Beck, so on.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I think the Freewheelers jackets are bloody terrible, quite frankly.
Perfect examples of what's wrong with the Japanese market; made from the best materials available, but designed by someone with little sense of style who thinks they can 'improve' classic patterns of the past (where have I heard that before?), and sold to the sartorially illiterate to meet a demand for high priced things that 'must be good because they've been in a glossy magazine'.

It's kind of the exact inverse of why real vintage and repro vintage designs are cool IMHO. It's the vintage thing going 'mainstream'.

And just to prove my point that Freewheelers is clueless overpriced rubbish, have a look at this;
Picture 4.jpg

It's supposed to be a...what? Repro A-1? A-1 inspired vintage 'style' jacket?
It seems that neither the 'designer', the customers, nor any other Lounge members noticed (or indeed even care) that the pocket with the pen holder is on the wrong side of the jacket making it useless. Yeah, pretty great 'attention to detail' there, or maybe they know it's not correct, but they don't understand or care why the pockets are reversed on the original.
It's a kind of 'dumbing down' of the whole industry; super high prices based on 'super-high' quality and authenticity, except that the quality and authenticity isn't super high anymore. If I had one of those jackets, I'd give it away to a Syrian refugee or something.

A pen holder on an A-1..? Never heard of such a thing. Exaggerated spear point pockets has 'Fashion Statement' written all over it.
Also the front dip on the brakeman spoils it for me.
HD

nick123

I'll Lock Up
To me, the Japanese jackets just have this really pleasing aesthetic about them. Hard to put into words, but they press some kind of a right button with me. However, I'm not so fond of the drastic, accordion-like sleeve creasing a lot of them seem to get (Freewheelers especially). But the leather itself looks great, and hats off to those guys doing the East-West repops...

Benj

One of the Regulars
******** Big J, maybe you should either wait until your cravings cease or you get back to smoking before you post...

I think your criticism of Freewheelers is a little dramatic. Other than the pen holder and pointier pockets (pretty harmless changes imo), it looks like a normal A1 to me. In fact, I'd prefer this one over a Good Wear since John is too good, his jackets look very vintage and personally I think that the reproductions (use that term loosely) look better and are indeed more stylish and suited for more casual wear... imo...

Big J

Call Me a Cab
******** Big J, maybe you should either wait until your cravings cease or you get back to smoking before you post...

I think your criticism of Freewheelers is a little dramatic. Other than the pen holder and pointier pockets (pretty harmless changes imo), it looks like a normal A1 to me. In fact, I'd prefer this one over a Good Wear since John is too good, his jackets look very vintage and personally I think that the reproductions (use that term loosely) look better and are indeed more stylish and suited for more casual wear... imo...

No way! Freewheelers need dragging over hot coals and burning at the stake for that! lol maybe I should take a break.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
No way! Freewheelers need dragging over hot coals and burning at the stake for that! lol maybe I should take a break.

Don't take a break from the cessation though. Keeping you in my thoughts, as I get it. Anger outbursts. Poor Freewheelers. lol

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Oh god. Has to be the stupidest thread ever. But see, I've been at it for a while! At least that one brought a lot of members in..

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?68751-Anyone-use-jackets-clothing-to-help-quit-smoking

I actually purchased a 20 pack of Binaca blast as recommended in the thread. Still have most of them unopened in my drawer...but that seemed to work better than any gum.

Jeez, I'd have an Aero from the sales page in a month or two's time if I quit. At least you've made it past the first day.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Oh god. Has to be the stupidest thread ever. But see, I've been at it for a while! At least that one brought a lot of members in..

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?68751-Anyone-use-jackets-clothing-to-help-quit-smoking

I actually purchased a 20 pack of Binaca blast as recommended in the thread. Still have most of them unopened in my drawer...but that seemed to work better than any gum.

Jeez, I'd have an Aero from the sales page in a month or two's time if I quit. At least you've made it past the first day.

Thanks for your kindness!
Haven't had a smoke since July 27th. Quit smoking, drinking, and most food because I'm worried about my blood pressure, but stress levels are surely keeping blood pressure at max! lol

Superfluous

And just to prove my point that Freewheelers is clueless overpriced rubbish, have a look at this;
View attachment 35189

It's supposed to be a...what? Repro A-1? A-1 inspired vintage 'style' jacket?
It seems that neither the 'designer', the customers, nor any other Lounge members noticed (or indeed even care) that the pocket with the pen holder is on the wrong side of the jacket making it useless. Yeah, pretty great 'attention to detail' there, or maybe they know it's not correct, but they don't understand or care why the pockets are reversed on the original.

To be clear, I have no idea on which side the pen holder is supposed to be located. That said, Freewheelers is not alone placing the pen holder on the right side. Goodwear -- whom you and many others exalt as the most accurate manufacturer of repro A-1s and A-2s -- places the pen holder in the exact same location:

a1_horsehide.jpg

front_view_flat.jpg

a1_jacket.jpg

So does Aero:

90355895228127df_vicenzaa1-500.jpg

A-1_half_01_zps66a2902d.jpg

So Does Eastman:

attachment.php

newA1058.jpg

The lower two buttons on the Freewheelers jacket are also accurate for early A-1s:

769d1185gw1e14i7mod0aj.jpg

mt96-1.jpg

Here is Freewheelers' explanation of the vintage A-1 model that they reproduced: http://blog.livedoor.jp/mcfly_store/archives/2009-09-06.html

As with most military jackets, the A-1 model evolved and changed over time. I suspect that Freewheelers' A-1 is a very accurate reproduction of a vintage A-1 made by Leather Togs.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
To be clear, I have no idea on which side the pen holder is supposed to be located. That said, Freewheelers is not alone placing the pen holder on the right side. Goodwear -- whom you and many others exalt as the most accurate manufacturer of repro A-1s and A-2s -- places the pen holder in the exact same location:

So Does Eastman:

The lower two buttons on the Freewheelers jacket are also accurate for early A-1s:

Here is Freewheelers' explanation of the vintage A-1 model that they reproduced: http://blog.livedoor.jp/mcfly_store/archives/2009-09-06.html

As with most military jackets, the A-1 model evolved and changed over time. I suspect that Freewheelers' A-1 is a very accurate reproduction of a vintage A-1 made by Leather Togs.

I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong.
It seems that this model of jacket had a strange pen holder placement (@_@) If you're one of the majority right-handed, how are you supposed to whip your grease pencil out to make an annotation?

However the pocket flaps on their 'original' look highly dubious to me. I wonder if they copied a fake that they paid big money for? lol lol lol

P.S. Whilst I have the highest respect for JC and his jackets, I have never actually said that Goodwear is 'the most accurate manufacturer of repro A-1s and A-2s'.

Otter

One Too Many
That all points to the A-1 being designed by someone who was left handed. Try removing a pen from your invisible pockets when you are sitting down and see what happens. Now think, tight fighter cockpit, what are your elbows hitting ?

And well done Big J, keep up the good fight, you are over the worst now.

zhz

Practically Family
Just checked repro a1 from all the makers I can think of, BK, GW, AERO, ELC, RMC etc, turns out they all place the pen holder is on the right pocket.

Speaking of freewheelers, I own a pair of jeans from them and a chino from the Bootlegger, the former company of freewheelers, they are very nice staff, high quality and accurate repro. And I agree, the price of freewheelers is just way too high, but that BRAKEMAN jacker, is just so nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points