Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reasonable alteration

pak

One of the Regulars
Is there a reasonable alteration or is it even reasonable to alter out the excess in the lower back of an A2? I have an A2 that fits very well except it is baggy in the lower back. Probably by design to accomodate the 'modern' man.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I would think your best bet would be to sell the baggy fitting A-2 and source an A-2 with a "historic" fit rather than contemporary.

thor

Call Me a Cab
If all other dimensions of the jacket are spot on except for the baggy lower back section, you could have the sides of the body taken in along the seams. This would taper the body a bit and should eliminate the bagginess. I've done this on one of my "modern fit" A-2 jackets and it turned out well.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've concluded that if you're going to get away with baginess in any area, it's going to be the back. It doesn't look all that bad. Oversized arms and shoulders are what kills a jacket IMO.

armscye

One of the Regulars
I have alterations of this type done all the time. The elastics are removed and shortened, side seams are taken in progressively from the armpit down, and the jacket then has a waistband slimmed by the amount the side seam was narrowed x4-- an inch each side of the current seam gets you 4 inches less waist. The only visible effect on an A2, other than the slimness, is that the underarm vent grommets move a bit closer.

On normal weight goat, this can be done by any good tailor, with a chisel needle, nylon thread, and a normal sewing machine. Two strips of brown paper can be used as slipsheets to keep the leather from sticking as the hide is moved. For leather above 3 ounces, a "walking foot" sewing machine is needed. Some saddle shops have them, some luggage stores have them-- watch out for workers who have never done tailoring, however. For the best work of this type, Dena Williams at Great Leather has the machine, the expertise, and the reconditioning skills as well.

BTW, if you want to watch a video of heavy harness leather being sewn with a walking foot-- whose name will become obvious once you see it "walking" across the leather-- go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJCdll6Nb_c

Last edited:

pak

One of the Regulars
Thank you, It is a solid fit in all areas and the sleeves are right. Given my locale, the cost of the usual back and forth, potential for the new jacket not fitting I think an alteration might be a good match. It is goat. I will give this a go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner