Rebel Mens Wear and Accessories?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by lina, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Edward

Edward Bartender

So some of their stuff they're showing is currently on sale elsewhere and they're essentially looking for a buyer before they commit their money to it? I can see the advantage from their point of view - avoid tying money up in stock...

2. TheBigEraser

TheBigEraser New in Town

Correct. Good working capital management.

Edward likes this.
  3. air

air Familiar Face

The problem is they don't know the actual condition of used items until they receive them, at which point you have already payed.

Unrelated, does china charge VAT on international purchases? Their standard rate is 13%, enough to soften the blow from international shipping.

Edward likes this.
  4. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

My experience regarding Taobao is what you see is what you pay. There is no VAT exempted price nor is VAT added at payment page.

5. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

In a way, this is a crazy cool business model...It poses little risks, but so do many great ideas. Set up an Instgram and FB account (free), swipe photos of cool stuff from anywhere (free), build a following, re-sell at a profit. No cost upfront...if the item is gone, you tell your buyer “sorry, sold out.”
    Wow, personal shopper! The only problem is in the non-permitted image use, but few individuals will press it too far. It seems easy to do with Tao Bao because we can’t access or understand it. Ebay/ Grailed would be harder because we all do that, but you could cull through Craigslist and local ads. Maybe even set up an algorithm to search the whole web for the style. This way seems smarter than the ebay model some are working.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Edward likes this.
  6. lina

lina Practically Family

7. air

air Familiar Face

lina likes this.
  8. Edward

Edward Bartender

Yes, buying in those circumstance they'd either have to deal with that themselves (i.e. seeking a refund if goods not up to scratch) or it could hit them - there's a level of trust involved.

I've never paid less than the 'sticker amount' as it were buying from China, but all the websites I've used for that (eBay and Aliexpress, in the main) are designed with selling ot international buyers in mind, so I don't know exactly how it works.

As long as the buyer is happy with that and it's clear that's the relationship, it seems fair enough to me. Quality Assuarance is an issue, but if I knew I could trust thyem not to send to me (andrefund me) if it wasn't up to scratch, I'd be open to trying it.

air likes this.
  9. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

In addition to the language barrier, Taobao sellers also mainly communicate thru Weixin in stead of email.

Edward likes this.
  10. Edward

Edward Bartender

It's interesting just how the cultural differences are pronounced. Everyone I meet in Beijing seems to do *everything* through their phone - including payments; few of my students seem to bother with cash any longer, and the local McDs self-service machines are designed to take phone payments, not cards as here. WeChat seems to be the big communications app there.

11. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

I think it has more to do with the trade barrier and government control than culture. I live in a part of China where credit cards with paywave are still very much the norm and the predominant messaging apps are Whatsapp and Telegram.

Edward likes this.
  12. Edward

Edward Bartender

There certainly seems to be more variation across the Provinces than one might expect from the outside - though that would be a more familiar concept to our American chums, of course, given the federal nature of the USA. There certainly are also a lot of cultural aspects that affect China. I often wonder whether the simple physical proximity in which most Beijingers exist (that being the area in which I have most experience) has something to do with it. The kids I teach live six to a dorm and don't really ever have space to themselves during their university years. Back in 2006, it was an all-cash economy in Beijing (still my most common way of operating outside the hotel - same pretty much anywhere I travel), but now everyone uses their phone for everything. Amazing how the tech has taken off - several reasons behind it, of course. But then the UK is fast on the way to being a cashless society too - a decade ago, 30% of daily transitions were b y card; now it's 70%. I've been to events that were card only at the bar, and we have restaurants local to us that do the same thing. Reminds me of Jello Biafra's declaration - "Give me Convenience or Give me Death!"