Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rebel with a tie on

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
flat-top said:
Benny Holiday is correct! In the juvenile delinquent classic "City Across the River" the kids dressed like thugs in the day, but at night wore sharp suits and ties!

Like this:

cap036.jpg

Frank in his Hollywood Jacket

cap039.jpg

Crazy in his late 40's finery.

cap041.jpg

CharlieH.

One Too Many
All this talk about rebellion against the ill-dressed masses reminds me of a small incident-
Back in high school, I was already into retro fashion, and boy did I turn heads... disgusted heads. At some point, some guy came along and said something along the lines of "dude! You gotta liberate yourself and dress like us!"
I still want to hit him for that remark.

metropd

One Too Many
Are you joking? I've been told by friends I have to dress down in order to allow for them to hang out with me.
:rage: :rage:

I don't know them but those don't sound like friends AT ALL!! You Matt don't ever look a bit costumey just elegant and timeless, if they can't pick that up you might as well drop em off. I've never been told that by a friend and neither should you.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Watch the Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis movie "Living it Up" and see a peak lapel DB pinstripe in lavender! I guess Techicolor cost a lot of money back in 1954 and they wanted to get as much mileage out of it as humanly possible.

I think the gent in the aforementioned suit also had a lavender Homburg. Now that's something I'd love to get my mitts on! :D

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I posted this line in the Quotes thread, but thought it applied well to this discussion:

"...those damned [formal starched] shirts were the forerunner of jeans as the uniform of the conformists."

This was written by Jon Cleary in High Road to China which was published in 1977. So thirty years ago, jeans were already considered conformist!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm just skimming this topic quickly, taking a break from working on an event next weekend that's driving me insane (Oh how I wish I were going to the QM Festivities instead of the one I'm instead involved with!), but I think it's a matter of where you live, who you hang out with and whether you're talking about M-F 9-5 or the rest of the time as to whether the ones wearing the suits or the ones wearing the jeans are those rebeling. Someone in a suit and tie might be considered a conformist in downtown NY or San Francisco or LA or Chicago or Seattle M-F 9-5 but might be considered a rebel in the evening or weekend in the same suit and tie depending on the crowd or place he's hanging out with. I don't think you're going to find many in suit & tie pulling 2 x 4's off the rack at Home Depot on Saturday morning. I guess that would be more a question of appropriateness to the activity at hand.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
"Today people don’t understand. My own parents never understood. It’s a rebellion to wear a suit and tie. People don’t want to have to dress up it’s a burden when they are somewhere and outclassed and they feel it in their hearts just as much as the man in the suit felt it 50 years ago when the t-shirt wearing youngsters hit the streets and the fathers saw that the suit would be pushed aside because the t-shirt and jeans was too easy to wear."

This is a really interesting topic, and I'm answering before reading the opinions of others.

On the one hand I think it is rebellious to wear a suit and a tie today when so many people "dress down", as it is euphemistically put. To resist the pressure to conform in that way by dressing well is classically rebellious.

On the other hand, it seems to me, there really aren't any mores to flout anymore so, in that atmosphere, can one ever really be rebellious? The overall credo seems to be "do your own thing" rather than "dress down". It's just that many choose to dress down.

Another facet that this thread made me think of is the distinction of dressing well vs. dressing in a suit; they are not the same thing. I work at a very conservative company where a man gets double takes worthy of Marie Dressler if he so much as wears a dark blue shirt instead of the standard issue white or light blue one. Every man wears a suit here (usually shucking the jacket, a crying shame in my mind) but I can count on the fingers of one hand the men who actually dress well. By that I mean wear thought out, coordinated outfits with good quality fabric and panache.

I'm using men as an example in this post because that's what Mr. Deckard brought up. Don't get me started on the way "ladies" dress today.

Lancealot

Practically Family
I don't have the clothes nor the chance to dress vintage all the time. I work in COntracor Sales for a lumber yard. However I do like to look my best for whatever situation I find myself in. I think it goes back to what someone else said here, it just makes me feel better about myself, to know I took time to put together what I'm wearing.

Case in point I was at church on Sunday I either wear a suit or sportcoat to service, not that I think it's required but I just feel the more comfortable that way. I am one of maybe two guys in the singles group (that numbers 50+) that dresses this way. We were standing around talking before Sunday school and one of my friends there was ribbing me about the suit, asking if I was the guest speaker. When one of the ladies there (who is always well dressed) was fast to jump in and said he should take pointers from me, and that she wished more of the men there dressed that way. Know as I said I dress that way because I feel that's how I should look but it made me feel ten feet tall to have her pipe up with that comment. That and the look on his face was priceless.

So some may see it has rebellion and maybe to a degree it is but I think it's more a sense of style and caring about how you look.

Just my two cents.:)

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
"All this talk about rebellion against the ill-dressed masses reminds me of a small incident-
Back in high school, I was already into retro fashion, and boy did I turn heads... disgusted heads. At some point, some guy came along and said something along the lines of "dude! You gotta liberate yourself and dress like us!"
I still want to hit him for that remark."

I'm only recently out of high school myself (I'm a sophomore at UT in Austin), and my experiences were just the opposite. Initially, people would look at me strange when I wore a coat and tie, but by my senior year I'd become a bit of a celebrity for it. I was even voted Most Original in the yearbook. I had all kinds of people complimenting me on my style and everyone was my friend. And this school had 2500 people.

As for the rebelling, I don't like to think of the way I dress as anything like that. I just like to think that I'm looking the best I can. Thinking of it as rebelling strikes me as a little bit too... Alex P. Keaton. I will agree, though, that the mass dressing-down is a little irritating to me. But, on the bright side, it makes it that much easier to seem dashing by comparison.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Dapper Dan said:
I'm only recently out of high school myself (I'm a sophomore at UT in Austin), and my experiences were just the opposite. Initially, people would look at me strange when I wore a coat and tie, but by my senior year I'd become a bit of a celebrity for it. I was even voted Most Original in the yearbook. I had all kinds of people complimenting me on my style and everyone was my friend. And this school had 2500 people.

Hello Dan! I am a 2L at UT Law.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner