Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rebel with a tie on

redavis001

One of the Regulars
I teach in a BIG university. Because of our president there are historical pictures of the U. in all of the building. The pictures range from the late 1890’s to the 1990’s. When I stop and look at then I always see the well-dressed students and professors in the earlier pictures. In the Late 50’s the students become more casual. Slack and sweaters instead of suits. By the late 1960’s the students are all casual and the Profs in suits.

When I walk around campus today it’s all pajama pants and bellies mixed with T-shirts and flip-flops. Even when it was 20 degrees there were flip-flops. The professors are almost as bad.

I wear a shirt, slacks and tie everyday to work.
I wear a suit about twice a week.
My students ask why I wear a suit everyday.
They don’t really know what a suit is.
Suite = tie

Sad really, but I can do nothing for them, except explain the power that comes from a suit. You get treated better. As a young fellow it helps me be taken seriously. It impresses my boss. It makes me look serious and academic. It gives me credibility.

My department had to send out a notice about what was appropriate to TEACH in last year after a colleague of mine wore here pajamas. She is no longer with the company.

There are a few holdouts though. There is one older chap on campus that wears a fedora everyday. I have not had the pleasure of making his acquaintance. Some of the really old professors on campus really look nice. Seem to be keeping the standards of the profession alive.

I try to encourage my students when the present to the class to dress up or rather dress nicely. It’s like pulling teeth! Should not be surprising as the way suits are portrayed in the popular media is generally poor. Necktie as noose et al.

My point (if there ever is such a thing) is that ironically wearing a suit in my line of work is in fact a form of rebellion. By reconfiguring the nature of the interaction I gain power in my favour through something that is rebellious. The nature of rebellion is going against the norm to increase personal identity power. The suit works for me in this way. It makes me professional ON MY TERMS. As opposed to the terms dictated by the normalizing effects of accepted fashion practices. That is the fixed norms of the college campus.

And it makes the ladies turn their heads.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
Hey, Vladimir! It's cool to see someone else on here so close to home.

As regards redavis, you are 100% correct. Going back to what I said about high school, people often asked me why I wore a suit when I was in sweater and wool tie, and I once or twice was pointed out as "the guy in the tuxedo," though I've never even worn one (didn't go to any dances or formal events). Young people seem to have no conception of how to dress. All the damn time I see people in pajama bottoms, dirty t-shirts, and flip-flops, and it makes me want to scream! I mean, come on! Show a little dignity! But, on the plus side, I may some day be applying for a job and these people will be my competition. So when they're there in their poorly fitting trousers and their jacket sleeves draped on their knuckles, I'll look smart by comparison. Also, I'd like to point out that within four words, I used all three uses of "there."

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Indy Magnoli said:
I posted this line in the Quotes thread, but thought it applied well to this discussion:

"...those damned [formal starched] shirts were the forerunner of jeans as the uniform of the conformists."

This was written by Jon Cleary in High Road to China which was published in 1977. So thirty years ago, jeans were already considered conformist!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Though how long will that last? Where will the new jeans be seen on the scene. Pajama bottoms might take the place of the jeans... i hope not, the track suit pants are a close second though I think the jeans have the leg up.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
redavis001 said:
I teach in a BIG university.

There are a few holdouts though. There is one older chap on campus that wears a fedora everyday. I have not had the pleasure of making his acquaintance. Some of the really old professors on campus really look nice. Seem to be keeping the standards of the profession alive.

As opposed to the terms dictated by the normalizing effects of accepted fashion practices. That is the fixed norms of the college campus.

...teach at Norman? :)

OCU in OKC had a pleasant campus scene; perhaps because of the
religious affil, but the students and profs were very well dressed last time
I was on campus. :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
People now 'dress up' 'dressing down'. A sport jacket with a t shirt, tailored jeans, dress shirt outside the paints, jeans and wing tips.

For ladies is skirts and dress shoes with no stockings (yuck), lovely blouses with jeans, skirts with fizzy boots, etc.

To me it all avoids the actual formality of the art of dress. Its wanting it both ways, but not having it either way. [huh]

LD

Matt Deckard said:
Though how long will that last? Where will the new jeans be seen on the scene. Pajama bottoms might take the place of the jeans... i hope not, the track suit pants are a close second though I think the jeans have the leg up.

I vote pajama bottoms with flip flop fuzzy slippers---no wait, I have seen that already. Geez, Hugh Hefner was/is way ahead of his time. :p :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Can this be next?

ralph_bunny.jpg

redavis001

One of the Regulars
I hate Flip Flops

Harp,

Yup I'm in Norman. Seems an odd place for folks. There are the pseudo-rich kids and the want to be pseudo rich kids. That of course is a gross over-generalization.

Fuzzy slippers and flipping and flopping madness abound!

There seems to be no problem with these even in twenty-degree weather.

Although on a bright note I found out that one of my students used to work for Brooks Brothers as a clerk. (It didn't seem to rub off though)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Slightly :eek:fftopic: but I think the point of the matter is that we are trying to get men to enjoy wearing suits again. We are rebels now because the image of suits is corporate, uncomfortable, and boring. I think what Classic Style is trying to show and revive is that you can wear suits on the weekends and should still be comfortable and look good. We are trying to change perceptions.
Sure, I feel like a rebel sometimes in a suit and tie. I probably do it because I like to stand out of the crowd.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Rover said:
... We are trying to change perceptions.

Sure, I feel like a rebel sometimes in a suit and tie. I probably do it because I like to stand out of the crowd.

so if you succeed in changing perceptions you will no longer stand out from the crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner