Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent dvd buys

Feraud

Bartender
I am always on the lookout for movies to add to my collection. Today I was thrilled to see an "everything must go" sign at a Suncoast Video. :)
I bought the following dvds..

They Drive By Night
Detective Story
Dial M for Murder
The Street With No Name
Gallipoli

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
I'm noticing more and more classic films coming out on DVD. There is a special anniversary addition of Stalag 17 out, and I just bought a copy of The Devil's Brigade.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
For the John Wayne fan I just picked up "Hatari!". Quite enjoyable. And, finally being released in June I will pre order "Fort Apache". That should round out the John Ford Collection for me.

Cheers!

Dan

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
They Drive By Night is a good flick, though it has been awhile since I've seen it.

The Street With No Name is an... interesting flick. I was watching it and my friend walks in and says, "Are you watching Superman?" because of the strange tone of the narrator. So true. The intro with the Hoover quote is great.

The other three I'll have to check out.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
yesterday at a local store, they were selling dvd's for 2/$1 and found 'The last time I saw Paris' and 'Nothing Sacred' (slowly but surely getting my collection started ;) )

Feraud

Bartender
Jack Scorpion said:
The Street With No Name is an... interesting flick. I was watching it and my friend walks in and says, "Are you watching Superman?" because of the strange tone of the narrator. So true. The intro with the Hoover quote is great.
haha, that is funny! I see what he means. Those "Federally approved" segments fit rather oddly into the rest of the film. One half of the film is the Government's side of infiltrating the gang. The other half showcases the dark and gritty world of the Stiles gang. These two opposing viewpoints are sandwiched together and connected by the government man gone undercover.

mysterygal said:
yesterday at a local store, they were selling dvd's for 2/$1 and found 'The last time I saw Paris' and 'Nothing Sacred' (slowly but surely getting my collection started ;) )
Nice score! Two for $1 is music to my ears!! Even though the quality of these low priced dvds are not always great, I buy 'em when I can. I think they are VHS transfers but a great opportunity to get obscure films.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
the quality does suck..but, I figured, if I really liked these movies, it's a cheap way to find out, then I can go buy a 'real' dvd :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
You know, I bought Pin Up Girl last month and the whole time I was watching it I was like "Jitterbugdoll looks SO much like Betty Grable!"

And of course, Swing Time and The Women are two of my favorite movies ever. Good choices!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Thank you :) I would love to find an outfit just like the one Betty wears—you know, the dark green one with the cherry print and matching lime green bolero jacket. Wasn’t that one simply darling?

The Women and Swing Time are two of my favorites, too.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Found a bunch of movies at Tower Records, and picked up several, including:

Delinquent Daughters (a hilarious B-movie, with neat fashions and a fun dance scene)
Second Chorus
Doll Face (based on the play written by Gypsy Rose Lee)

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
They Drive By Night
Detective Story
Dial M for Murder
The Street With No Name
Gallipoli

I loved Ida in the first, and have "The Street with No Name" on my wishlist (along with lots of other noirs.)
"Dial M..." turned me off of Ray Milland for a long time, but after seeing titles with him when younger I changed my mind. :)

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
The Women

I've always wanted to play either Joan's or Paulette's character on stage. I usually like Norma, but her character was just too annoying this time. I can understand someone disliking her after seeing this if they had no experience with her before.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24