Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recently acquired THIN RIBBONED RESISTOL...need help transforming to a fedora.

Razzman

One Too Many
Recently acquired Resistol with a thin ribbon and 2 5/8" brim. I believe it's silverbelly in color. I'm not sure. It originally came with a cattleman's crease. I have tried to convert it to a fedora style. As you can see, I've been semi-successful. The hat is quite stiff. I've tried steaming and reshaping but, as you can see it's still quite stiff. Although I must say it does hold the bash and C-crown quite well. The brim is another story. Can anybody give me a quick tutorial on how to remove some of the stiffener? I also tried to give the hat a good cleaning using Scout felt hat cleaner. As you can see...not that great. I think the C-crown and bash are a little off center, and I can't seem to correct it, no matter how much steam I use.
Anbody have any ideas or advice?? I'd appreciate it. I do like the hat.

a>

a>

a>

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Mine have softened up alot just working them with my hands. Just bending them and such, i think it breaks up the stiffener. Somebody with more knowledge should chime in shortly!

Duck

Practically Family
2 of mine are very soft, but I have one that is stiff. It responded well with just using water, but it is still stiffer than I like.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Heat, Moisture, Persistent working of the felt, alcohol. Keep the heat from the alcohol. Any one of those will soften it up. My first choice for massive re-shaping is getting the thing soaking, saturated, wet with hot water. If it's fur felt it won't shrink. Take the liner out firstand speaking strictly for myself, I'd pitch it, but you're best off holding on to it if you sell the hat. and consider removing the ribbon. I like thin ribbon, but those knots in place of bows don't really appeal to me. Heat and moisture will retain the stiffener. Alcohol will break it down and pretty much remove it. You can always purchase stiffener from a vendor. Might take quite a bit of denatured alcohol, but that's de nature of re-shaping an entire hat.

dean

barrowjh

One Too Many
I cannot see your pics today, something wrong there, but I rebashed a really nice Resistol OR clone a few weeks back and it is my favorite OR hat. I clean the hats first, and the finished product will depend on how the previous owner treated the hat. For some, the vintage grease and grime will not come out easily and the hat will always be ugly, unless you send it off for a thorough cleaning. For the bashing work, I used steam from a teapot and was patient. First, steam out the old bash to a smooth open crown - note that this takes some work. Two fingers inside the hat on either side of the crease, one finger out pushing down, and work it flat/smooth. After you get that done, then start on rebashing it. Some of my rebashed hats still show the old crease lines, but that Resistol had been well treated by its previous owner.

Deanglen - you mention buying stiffener from a vendor. I have a hat that is too limp - is there a way to add stiffener? I need a clue.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
barrowjh said:
Deanglen - you mention buying stiffener from a vendor. I have a hat that is too limp - is there a way to add stiffener? I need a clue.

Yes, actually three that I know of:

1) Hairspray. I've used it. Other have. Most decry it as too cheap away to do it. And the scent is offensive to some. It works. Has to be re-done, I think, if you get the hat too wet. Unless it's Aqua-Net, but I'm not sure about that and have never used it.

2) Spray Shellac. I bought a can. Used it. It works. Sprayed the inside of the crown and the underside of the brim. VERY LIGHTLY. a few coats did it.
Probably not recommended by haters in the Lounge. But I did my work with this on BCF hats, so I wasn't ruining a vintage lid.

3) Lounge Recommended method. purchase spray stiffener from a vendor, found in the appropriate vendor forum.

dean

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
deanglen said:
1) Hairspray. I've used it. Other have. Most decry it as too cheap away to do it. And the scent is offensive to some. It works. Has to be re-done, I think, if you get the hat too wet. Unless it's Aqua-Net, but I'm not sure about that and have never used it.

dean

I love learning new tricks. Thanks, Dean! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy