Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing 9017 Chukka!! Anyone?

JanSolo

Practically Family
I am in love with the (new to me) Beckman Chukka 9017. After 4 pairs of sturdy RW ankle boots I was looking for something along the lines of my chestnut Clarks Desert Boots but with foul weather capabilities. RWs Beckman Chukka looks like the deal... classic, almost dressy with distinct work boot pedigree. It appears to be a rather comfortable boot with full leather lining and premium uppers.

red-wing-chukka.jpg

Does any of you guys already own a pair? If so please share your view!!

JanSolo

Practically Family
No, I haven't bought them yet. I prefer to gather some feedback first. They look almost too good to pass, but what if the fit is awkward or for some reason the quality is not up to the usual RW standard? I've heard of several batches of 8111 Iron Rangers in the past that were badly stitched with sloping heels...
Does anybody already own a pair?

Tadite

Familiar Face
Those are amazing. I'm also a big fan of the Red Wings Chukka with the Crepe soles. Nothing better if you're going to be on your feet then crepe...

UWEZ

New in Town
Hi,
I bought them around Christmas and I must say they are very nice in aspect of fabrication, leather quality and color.
The fit in my case is outstanding and I only can advice them. When photos are needed, please let me know.

TJC

New in Town
I have never seen a photo of the Beckman from that side angle before. I'm liking it a lot!!

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Red Wing 9017 Chukka - First Impressions

Hello,

I've owned a pair for about two months and like them very much. They fit very similarly to the Gentleman Travelers (GT) and seem to the the same leather as found in the Red Wing GT 9016/9024 depending on color. Overall, I'm very happy with the fit and construction. The GT's are a good proxy for fit and construction since the 9017/9024's are very difficult to find. I do prefer the heel on the 9017 Chukka to the GT's although the soles are very similar. I like the vamp on these Red Wing Chukka's. The 9017/9024 present very differently from the GT's.

I treated the uppers and soles with Obenauf's leather oil immediately when I got them, have worn them about a dozen times, and always use shoes trees. I'd include pictures but they literally look unworn with only slight creasing. I chose the Obenauf's because it doesn't change the color of the leather. It darkens slightly on application but the color returned to normal after the Obenauf's dried. I've encountered some slush and salt since then and it's wiped right off. I'm expecting they'll last a very long time with no ill effects seen so far from slush and salt.

I purchased mine from Baker Shoe in Oregon, USA. Some of the local Red Wing stores started carrying them right after I ordered mine so US customers may be able to find them if they have a local Red Wing store.

Dodo

Familiar Face
A british seller sells all sizes of this beauty at gbp 229,00 on ebay, check on http://stores.ebay.it/JustStrut really nice shoes, even in black!!
Indeed, imho, it's so difficult to purchase shoes on line more than with clothes. I just bought a pair of timberland boots but i know my exact size on their range and that was a good deal. I like a lot even Ron Rider boots www.riderboot.com , they are expensive but indeed nice looking!! It happen they make them in Italy but too far from my hometown. Alden makes even great chukkas but i'm sure you all know that even better than me.

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
It is indeed a nice one, but at this price point I would prefer this, albeit slightly "dressier" model by Alfred Sargent:
MendipRight.jpg

http://www.alfredsargent.co.uk/ASShoe.aspx?sys_shoeid=49&Range=Town and Country
QUOTE]

I have this chukka in black pebble-grain, burgundy pebble-grain, and brown suede. Guess you could say I like it. I bought mine through Brooks Brothers and got them on sale for $199 each. They are labeled Peal & Company, but are made by Alfred Sargent. The ones I have only have 2 eyelets rather than 3 as in the pic above. To be honest, I'd prefer just to have them in the dark brown as pictured.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, I've always thought of Chukka's as a casual / safari shoe. I've never see them being worn with a suit or even a sport coat. Does Brooks brothers sell many? The Pebble grain ones look good though, the old Britich ammunition boots had the same pebble grain.

Later

Tadite

Familiar Face
unfortunately sold out, but a true beauty are those "Single Malt Whiskey Chukka" by Alden for Leather Soul Hawaii:
whis4.jpg

Just to add some, hopefully welcome confusion :)

Those are lovely. They're not just whiskey but whiskey cordovan. I think there is a certain amount of symmetry to walking around with horsehide jackets and boots both made from Horween Leather. I'm also a fan of:

13750.jpg

and

1339.jpg

Thing is with that level of Alden you're looking at 600+ new and 300-400 if you can find some seconds.

I think If I'm up at that end of price I'm going for the top:

44621H.jpg

Dodo

Familiar Face
Aldens are beautiful but not so simple to find in Europe and extremely expensive in the few luxury shops who actually sell them, more expensive than in US. Buying on line from Aldenshop gives same problem about correct sizing plus we have to pay custom and vat. Red Wing 9017 Jan found out are nice and not so expensive. Did you try it, Jan? Any news about those nice shoes?
UWEZ, can you post pictures of your shoes? Do they fit your regular number? what about width? thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Hi, I've always thought of Chukka's as a casual / safari shoe. I've never see them being worn with a suit or even a sport coat. Does Brooks brothers sell many? The Pebble grain ones look good though, the old Britich ammunition boots had the same pebble grain.

Later

Chukka boots can be worn with suits/sportcoats but they need to be pretty sleek in order for it to work. I've worn the black pebble-grained BB version with sportcoats. Not ideal, but the weather required a boot. If you insist on wearing them with suits/sportcoats, I would think a sleeker last and plain leather (rather than pebble-grained) would work fine. Personally, while the Alden Chukka is a great boot, it's a bit too casual looking (not real sleek) to be worn with a suit, IMHO. I'm sure some people do, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo