Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Postman Oxfords

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Where were these for the last 40 years?

I believe they were being made up until the early 80s. I am going to buy a pair. I remember the mail man wearing these shoes and thinking how cool they looked and comfortable too. By the way, Amazon carries them for $20 less than Nordstroms.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Where were these for the last 40 years?

Up until the mid 80's, when Florsheim & the other remaining US makers (besides Alden + AE) switched to overseas mfg, they were available from almost every US shoe company. Now there are over 1000 vintage plain toe derbies on ebay that are used & quite a few NOS.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
From wikipedia: Corrected-grain leather is any leather that has had an artificial grain applied to its surface. The hides used to create corrected leather do not meet the standards for use in creating vegetable-tanned or aniline leather. The imperfections are corrected or sanded off, and an artificial grain impressed into the surface and dressed with stain or dyes. Most corrected-grain leather is used to make pigmented leather as the solid pigment helps hide the corrections or imperfections

Edward

Bartender
From wikipedia: Corrected-grain leather is any leather that has had an artificial grain applied to its surface. The hides used to create corrected leather do not meet the standards for use in creating vegetable-tanned or aniline leather. The imperfections are corrected or sanded off, and an artificial grain impressed into the surface and dressed with stain or dyes. Most corrected-grain leather is used to make pigmented leather as the solid pigment helps hide the corrections or imperfections

Is the difference then largely cosmetic, or is it weaker / substandard hide to begin with aside from any aesthetic consideration?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart